Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 03:05 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I am looking at the Georgia county election results and Richmond county overwhelmingly voted for Biden 67% to Trump 30%. We are politically conservative and are glad to hear Augusta is conservative, but the results seem to say otherwise.
Augusta as a city I think is solidly moderate. Its git a Democratic mayor but before him had moderate Republican mayors too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 09:29 AM

202 posts, read 226,594 times
That's like comparing Cleveland and Toledo except with better weather

Old 05-18-2021, 09:35 AM

If u are looking for liberal enclaves in The South I would suggest Athens or Asheville. Yes Richmond county (Augusta) votes overwhelmingly Democratic but that does not mean it is socially liberal like college town are. Richmond County votes Democrat because it has a 25% poverty rate but it is not very diverse. I would say Columbia is probable more socially Liberal and diverse since it has a major university and is overall bigger.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
The poverty rate of Richmond Cty is not 25%. Stop trolling.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:08 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The poverty rate of Richmond Cty is not 25%. Stop trolling.
Right. More like 22%.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 11,944 times
I was born in Augusta but moved around the US before mostly growing up in Anderson, SC.
I really like both Augusta and Columbia. I currently live in Greenville and also enjoy it although it is more
hard core conservative, which I don't like but currently have no choice in living here due to family issues.
My question for the Augusta people is what has happened to all the beautiful fountains on Broad St. at every
intersection? I know they were installed in the 1970's by I.M. PEI.
This last weekend I was walking around downtown Augusta and most of those fountains have been filled in
with dirt. some had art pieces installed where the fountains used to be. And I seem to remember that there
were more of those parking pits on Broad St. in years past. were some of the parking pits and fountains removed?
I enjoyed the Riverwalk and the newer Large Fountain but was curious as to what happened with all those fountains
on Broad St.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:51 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanceatl View Post
I was born in Augusta but moved around the US before mostly growing up in Anderson, SC.
I really like both Augusta and Columbia. I currently live in Greenville and also enjoy it although it is more
hard core conservative, which I don't like but currently have no choice in living here due to family issues.
My question for the Augusta people is what has happened to all the beautiful fountains on Broad St. at every
This last weekend I was walking around downtown Augusta and most of those fountains have been filled in
with dirt. some had art pieces installed where the fountains used to be. And I seem to remember that there
were more of those parking pits on Broad St. in years past. were some of the parking pits and fountains removed?
I enjoyed the Riverwalk and the newer Large Fountain but was curious as to what happened with all those fountains
on Broad St.
The fountains required too much maintenance, so they largely remained unused except during Masters week and a few other rare occasions. Some have been replaced with new fountains which may be mistaken for art pieces because they are, yet again, turned off most of the time assumedly due to maintenance issues. They worked for the first few months they were put in, but as soon as there was an issue with them they have remained mostly turned off like the old ones.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:26 PM

It's also a shame what Has happened to the Japanese pocket garden at Riverwalk. That was a gift from Augusta's sister city in Japan. I also worry about what will happen to the 5th street bridge esplanade based on the city's lousy track record of maintaining these assets. I always thought the fountains were beautiful but after maintenance stopped they became clogged with trash and became eyesores. The city would clean them up and get them running just in time for The Masters but within a few weeks after the tournament ended they were back to looking nasty

Old 06-12-2021, 09:53 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
The $25 million Broad street redevelopment begins sometime next year. All the parking pits and fountains will be removed. Yes, some of the fountains were replaced with art.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:41 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanceatl View Post
on Broad St.
There are more than conservatives in Greenville. It's more of a mixed bag and I've seen a little bit of everything here. It's a city that's in a boom. Maybe it's your personal circle. I have friends and associates on both sides of the aisle and moderate also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area