Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times

Advertisements

Okay i have recieved a job offer in augusta. And because of this I will be moving to the city in about 4 months. So it looks like i will be another person moving from the atl area to augusta. I have talked to some people who have made the moved already. But i just wanted to hear some opinions of others who have made that move. My friend moved from snellville to west augusta about a year ago. Him and his family have enjoyed theirselves very much while living there. I just have some questions for atlantans who have also moved to augusta. I have only been to augusta about 2 times. I saw alot of construction taking place around the city. And it seemed like a fairly large city. How did you like augusta when you moved there. What was your opinion of the city overall? Where do most people from atlanta live at when moving to augusta. I was living in the lawrenceville area in atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 25,008 times
I send this question ... bump

Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM

67 posts, read 292,047 times
I moved from Dacula to Augusta...and left as soon as the opportunity arose. There is no comparison of the two areas. I would highly suggest you check out areas that you would frequent and go with your instincts from there. There is 1 mall and it has been under renovation, but still leaves MUCH to be desired and is in an awful area, 1 bowling alley, 1 skating rink; neither are anything like what you would see in ATL area. They call it Disgusta for a reason. Small minds hinder growth and development. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
GAlove pretty much summed it up. For a city of roughly 200,000 Augusta feels and acts like a small hick town. Athens is about half the size but has 5 times more to do than Augusta. But you have to live in Augusta, then Columbia County (Evans/Martinez) is probably the best area to be in.. it's kind of like a miniature gwinnett county.. kind of.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
GAlove pretty much summed it up. For a city of roughly 200,000 Augusta feels and acts like a small hick town. Athens is about half the size but has 5 times more to do than Augusta. But you have to live in Augusta, then Columbia County (Evans/Martinez) is probably the best area to be in.. it's kind of like a miniature gwinnett county.. kind of.
That's damning with faint praise!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Sometimes quality of life is more important than a job. Hint hint.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
I agree.. I'd have to make SIGNIFICANTLY more money to have to endure living in Augusta.. with the expectation of saving that extra money and getting out oin a few years.. but usually you end up making significantly less in Augusta. I can perhaps understand wanting to live in Augusta if that's where your family is located.. but as the Nitty GRitty Dirt band said in the opening lines of their song American Dream.. "Augusta, GA is just no place to be."

Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
Having lived in both the Atlanta and Augusta area, I would say I like Augusta much more. The people here are much friendlier, the traffic is much better, and the homes are more affordable. I would recommend the West Augusta area.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 PM

352 posts, read 1,424,930 times
Without getting too specific here I would make sure the company that offered you the job is stable. There are really only 3 large employers in Augusta and one is in big trouble.

I was actually there yesterday and the downtown area is quite nice and getting improved. A lot depends on what your interests are etc.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 PM

100 posts, read 425,010 times
You mean EVANS and MARTINEZ were rated the top 100 places to live. Augusta (Richmond County) unless it's West Richmond County (washington rd area, is not so great to live. They just increased the mil rate, so homeowners can expect a increase of 50.00 for each 100k in value. And I wouldn't send my kids to public school in R/C.

CT Walker is pretty good, but it's located in a drug area of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_signature View Post
Augusta is currently undergoing a "face lift"....Augusta has been rated in the top 100 cities to live. If you are considering the move and you have children...I strongly consider you researching Columbia County and Evans which offer the best schools and best overall to the public. Visit
Columbia County : Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area