Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 22,787 times

Advertisements

When the NSA rolls out they do it big time. The initial construction alone will count for hundreds if not a thousand or so jobs. Then when the gear is installed, you're talking about at least a thousand or so analysts and other techies working there in addition to additional Soldiers from Ft. Gordon. It is a win/win for the Augusta area, regardless of when it gets built and its not going to be run by the Augusta government.

I've noticed a lot of people down on the government and its slow roll towards growth but this kind of work has to be managed by the NSA and I imagine ground to be broken soon.

Oh yeah, notice its shaped like a satellite dish? Ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
wow.. more government jobs in Augusta..just what the doctor ordered..
Fort Benning and Columbus will be adding 35,000 jobs during the same time period.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM

267 posts, read 725,773 times
The economic impact when the NSA is completed will be on another level.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
wow.. more government jobs in Augusta..just what the doctor ordered..
Fort Benning and Columbus will be adding 35,000 jobs during the same time period.
why is that a bad thing?More government jobs?Apparently high paying.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM

110 posts, read 321,063 times
Problem is Augusta's biggest employers are all Government agencies. MCG, Savannah River Site and Fort Gordon. While this can be good in some ways (stable, long term etc) there are some limitations to them.

One, their community involvement is often limited. You don't see sport or music events sponsored by government organizations, or see them buy and revitalize buildings typically. Some government organizations/enterprises don't promote ownership or do as much business with the local community around them (some large corporations are like this too). Lastly, government enterprises don't encourage other companies to come and set up shop in cities the way other companies do. That's one reason Atlanta got so big.

The NSA is the most respected intelligence agency however. I think it will do Augusta well.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Google the pay scale for GS employees and understand that high-end civilians (GS-9 or higher) make approximately 50K a year or more. An analyst with a clearance is definitely on the upper end of that scale.

Even without the benefits of a business having to advertise in the local community, that's quite a few fairly well paid individuals buying houses, paying rent, shopping in stores, and looking for entertainment in the local community.

There's a reason soldier-based communities have very low-end businesses; soldiers aren't paid huge amounts (the in-kind benefits like housing and medical are fine, but a SSG with 10 years of service takes home about $34K a year).

Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 PM

110 posts, read 321,063 times
Those salaries are nothing to sneeze at, but I know line mechanics who are making 6 figures in the CSRA.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:17 PM

One thing you need to consider about the types of jobs that the NSA will employ is that they are long term as CptAwesome pointed out. That is a catch 22 in that its a constant, high-end income and tax revenue (property and sales tax) and the other side is that many of the senior jobs will be locked in for 5-15 years (depending on the person).

Government agencies cant sponsor a team but they can sponsor athletic events and many do. The Army, as a whole, is one of the biggest "corporate" sponsors of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, we have our own motorcycle drag racing team, and of course run #8 in NASCAR. Units and other agencies can do the same, unlikely that the NSA will do so directly given their mission, but that's not stopping other elements on Ft. Gordon.

Also, when these people retire they'll do so in the Augusta area. Many will develop their own companies or go to work for other businesses. You have the potential to turn Augusta and that entire area into a Southern Silicon Valley with the IT resources that will be there. I would suggest that someone spend time to advetise the area more often and work to lower taxes on corporations and provide more incentives for IT corporations to establish manufacturing there, there are still a few back in the US, and only they're the only ones the government can purchase certain items from. Never mind the security side of the house at an installation like this.

I know DisgustaSucks has a serious anti-Augusta agenda but while you may not like more government jobs in the area, they will benefit everyone.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Couldn't of been said better and as a E-7 with 8 years in I'm looking at leaving this life of luxury for better paying jobs in the private sector or government fields. Hence why I'm not looking to move to Grovetown seeing as how its right outside the gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Google the pay scale for GS employees and understand that high-end civilians (GS-9 or higher) make approximately 50K a year or more. An analyst with a clearance is definitely on the upper end of that scale.

Even without the benefits of a business having to advertise in the local community, that's quite a few fairly well paid individuals buying houses, paying rent, shopping in stores, and looking for entertainment in the local community.

There's a reason soldier-based communities have very low-end businesses; soldiers aren't paid huge amounts (the in-kind benefits like housing and medical are fine, but a SSG with 10 years of service takes home about $34K a year).

Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
I definitely plan to retire permanently in the Augusta area, for a lot of the reasons Kudzu pointed out. I'm an IT person, and there are about a metric ton of ex-soldiers with some excellent credentials here, both retiring and just plain getting out, and STAYING here. That says something positive about Augusta, I believe...they could be going home. If Augusta was as bad as DisgustaSucks would have you believe, they'd be running for the exits.

I think it's a matter of time until some pretty cool little businesses get rolling here with the great quality of life and the ready supply of talent. I know I would *much* rather live in Augusta at $60K a year than Silicon Valley at $120K. That $60K extra looks like a lot until you check out rents, house prices, commutes, and the generally s***ty quality of life there. No, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area