U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What can be done to save the Augusta Exchange?
Add a large entertainment complex with a bowling alley, skating rink, laser tag, and arcade under one roof 5 55.56%
Add a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes. 7 77.78%
Add a Garden Ridge 2 22.22%
Add a Costco or a BJs 4 44.44%
Upgrade Target to a super Targer 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 98,506 times

Advertisements

The Augusta Exchange was always a major regional center since it was build. That now all appears to be changing. With the new part of the Augusta Mall and the new Bass Pro Shop mall on River Watch, Mullings Crossing, and the Gateway on Lewiston Road with areas 7th Wal Mart, it looks as if The Augusta Exchange will go the way of Augusta West and the Regency Mall. It is a shame to see the Wheeler Rd. and Walton Way Extention decline so rapidly. I guess thats called progress. It is only a matter of time before the restaurants start closing and trust me when one relocates, the others will follow. Prime example is the Gordon Hwy. Deans Bridge Rd. area and the Wrightsboro Rd. Damascus Rd. Area. With Circuit City, Comp USA, Ashely Furniture, Goodys, and Freedmans closing, I donot see the shopping center recovering from that. The Augusta Mall even when it was struggling only lost one anchor which was Macys when Richs and Macys merged. The other four major stores keep the mall afloat until the transformation and addition of the Prominade in 2007. The Augusta Exchange has already lost 5 major stores already. Which will close next? What caused this once vibrant power center to begin dying out so quickly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,526,746 times
Augusta Exchange doesn't seem to be the least bit in trouble. I do not see a lot of vacancies..the place is always packed.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 PM

215 posts, read 435,197 times
I could not even find a parking spot at Best Buy on Saturday. The new construction around the Augusta Exchange will give it new life. Only problem I see is sprawl, as before mentioned. One of the charms of Augusta was being able to get anywhere in 15-20 minutes. Now if I really wanted to "shop" everywhere it would take all day long.

But if these multi-million dollar companies' market studies are saying go ahead... Then good for Augusta. It generally means Augusta has the population and spending power to support several shopping centers.

Look at Starbucks. HUGE market study program.. and they closed stores all over the nation, but none in Augusta. When I was in school in Augusta the only Starbucks in Augusta was in the Radission and it was only open at strange hours. Now how many are there, 6-8?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM

613 posts, read 958,760 times
Lol..The Exchange has the highest concentration of restaurants in Augusta. It ain't goin' anywhere. It'll never go the way of South Gate shopping plaza. Ha Ha Ha... We all know that the stores that were going to be at the VAR are probably going to relocate there.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 AM

110 posts, read 294,732 times
I really don't like the exchange that much. It has plenty of stuff and traffic is too congested. I'd much rather have saved the food lion across from the masters.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 AM
PJA

2,419 posts, read 2,752,155 times
It's not going anywhere anytime soon. Yeah there were some closings but that was due to the companies filing bankruptcy. I think the locations in Augusta were still doing good for example when Goody's and Circuit City did their first round of closings of their underperforming stores, they kept the Augusta locations opened which means they were among the best performing stores. It's just unfortunate that the downsizing for both companies came too late which cost the rest of the stores to have to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area