Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Ya'll have posted a lot since I've been gone. What I'm going to say is harsh about my city. Augusta has jobs because we have a workforce that isn't highly educated. Most of the companies that laid off were John Deere, Castleberry's, Club Car, and E-Z Go. Those were jobs that only required you to have a GED and maybe some technical education. Most can't get a job at the VA, MCG, University Hospital, Wachovia, SRS, etc. IMO, we have a lot of hospitals and outpatient centers here. If you have a degree in Nursing, Sociology, etc; You can find a job here quickly.
So why do you wait to get on this thread. And post a something that doesn't even make sense. Why would a company locate to a city. That isn't highly educated. Why did ADP,T-Mobile, ESI, Teleperformance, American Tire come to Augusta then? If unemployment is going down in every metro county. That means the population is finding work.
Metro Augusta’s unemployment rate at 8.5 percent in April
Augusta metro unemployment is 8.5%. Below the national avg of 8.9% and state avg of 9.3%. The city unemployment is 8.7% below the state and national avg. So it seems SRS, MCG, University, VA, Wachovia, and etc. Are not having a problem finding employees from metro Augusta.

I don't know why the NSA would build in richmond county. Considering there are only two others in the world. Beside the one in Augusta. If they didn't think they could find 4,000 qualified people in metro Augusta. To work there when it opens next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,258 times
How do you call any area "Booming" when it has an unemployment rate of 8.5%? If Augusta had 3% or less unemployment, then could say it is "booming"

Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
I was just fishing for comments. Don't get upset. We have a highly educated and skilled workforce here in Augusta. From time to time I like to bait people.---------But I'd have to agree with lilmusket. Augusta isn't Booming! Yet! I like the direction we're heading in. With the expansion of MCG(destruction of Low-income housing), and the Heart and Vascular tower at University, also, the Burn Center being built at Doctor's we're going to have a medical district that could rival a larger city. With the new roads, bridges, and expressways/freeways we're ready for expansion. I'd like to believe we could have attracted even more companies had it not been for our inept government. I read in the Augusta Chronicle that Carbon Motors may build a plant in the metro. That's a plus but we need more.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
How do you call any area "Booming" when it has an unemployment rate of 8.5%? If Augusta had 3% or less unemployment, then could say it is "booming"
If Richmond county, took in $9 million in sales tax last month. The largest since consolidation(1996) in a bad economy. The area's unemployment rate is below the state and national avg. The area has a economy that is set to double over the next 5 years. Augusta's GDP by 2015 will be twice as big as now. The area has gained thousands of new jobs. Several high-paying like ADP, ESI, SRS, NSA, and the Medical District expansions. Large construction projects downtown and in the metro. Massive road/interstate developments going on. Then what do you call it?

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-28-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
....................I understand what you're trying to prove. It's just hard to agree because a lot of cities our size already have most of those companies. In a way, we are "booming," I guess it depends on how you see things. When you can't include things that greatly increase your quality of life, sometimes it doesn't matter. Suppose you make 20/hr working for a company located in a city out in the boons. The money is good but you'd probably take a lower paying job 19/hr to be in a city that has more restaurants, clothiers, entertainment venues, etc.. For some that may not be an issue because they don't mind driving. For me I hate being on the road hours on end just to do something that my city should be able to offer.

Last edited by The Magician; 05-28-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
....................I understand what you're trying to prove. It's just hard to agree because a lot of cities our size already have most of those companies. In a way, we are "booming," I guess it depends on how you see things. When you can't include things that greatly increase your quality of life, sometimes it doesn't matter. Suppose you make 20/hr working for a company located in a city out in the boons. The money is good but you'd probably take a lower paying job 19/hr to be in a city that has more restaurants, clothiers, entertainment venues, etc.. For some that may not be an issue because they don't mind driving. For me I hate being on the road hours on end just to do something that my city should be able to offer.
ADP a fortune 300 company and ESI built their headquarters in Augusta. T-Mobile built their southeastern headquarters here. MCG is the only medical college in the state. And their is no SRS, ESI, or NSA in any other city or metro area in the united states. Beside Metro Augusta

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-28-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM

High-paying jobs do greatly increase your quality of life. Along with the CADI, new dog park at Pendleton King, Aqueduct Park, new shops and restaurants downtown, and Augusta mall promenade.

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-28-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I like the direction we're heading in. With the expansion of MCG(destruction of Low-income housing), and the Heart and Vascular tower at University, also, the Burn Center being built at Doctor's we're going to have a medical district that could rival a larger city. With the new roads, bridges, and expressways/freeways we're ready for expansion.
Doctors Hospital is in West Augusta. The Medical District is downtown. University and MCG. And we already have a medical distirct and hospitals. That rival larger cities.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Doctors Hospital is in West Augusta. The Medical District is downtown. University and MCG. And we already have a medical distirct and hospitals. That rival larger cities.
I know how you feel Norton, but people don't move to a city for that. They move for amenities and for a strong economic climate. You can tell the interest of cities by their forum numbers on here too.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
So who won the battle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area