Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:23 AM

346 posts, read 308,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure Columbia has more things that Augusta doesn't than vice versa. Columbia has come a long way in the past five years or so.

Not far enough. Augusta is ahead of Columbia. Even if not a ton, I do notice its friendlier in Augusta.

I don't get why Columbians within city limits seem so rude and mean. Its just as much like Philadelphia as it is like the deep south. Lots of people seem to have mean dogs or raise them to be like that but a lot don't walk them I've noticed also. Not a lot of a dog culture. People seem so ignorant to me in Columbia coming from up north and someone who plans to be going back to Tampa soon. Not a good LGBTQ scene as well in Cola town.

Augusta gave me the impression that its ahead on things Columbia isn't and won't be. I feel its the GA advantage. Being closer to Atlanta. in the same state as Atlanta.

SC is a vacation state I feel, the state should push vacation imo and less people moving in, just to visit kinda like Oregon does, some places even more transient than some in FL even. In SC I feel its made people mean when a lot of these people have come in and took up all the housing. Its like Oregons polar opposite mixed with South Nevada. Atlanta is looking to be like a Phoenix/L.A kind of place otoh.. SC doesn't have one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:35 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Not far enough. Augusta is ahead of Columbia. Even if not a ton, I do notice its friendlier in Augusta.

I don't get why Columbians within city limits seem so rude and mean. Its just as much like Philadelphia as it is like the deep south. Lots of people seem to have mean dogs or raise them to be like that but a lot don't walk them I've noticed also. Not a lot of a dog culture. People seem so ignorant to me in Columbia coming from up north and someone who plans to be going back to Tampa soon. Not a good LGBTQ scene as well in Cola town.

Augusta gave me the impression that its ahead on things Columbia isn't and won't be. I feel its the GA advantage. Being closer to Atlanta. in the same state as Atlanta.

SC is a vacation state I feel, the state should push vacation imo and less people moving in, just to visit kinda like Oregon does, some places even more transient than some in FL even. In SC I feel its made people mean when a lot of these people have come in and took up all the housing. Its like Oregons polar opposite mixed with South Nevada. Atlanta is looking to be like a Phoenix/L.A kind of place otoh.. SC doesn't have one of those.
Then why isn't it ahead of Greenville which is in South Carolina? Or Charleston? Both offer more than Augusta.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:13 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Then why isn't it ahead of Greenville which is in South Carolina? Or Charleston? Both offer more than Augusta.
I don’t think they’ve been to Jakes or Soda City Market or Noma Bark park or really anywhere in the city if there’s no dog culture. Lmao. Things like that? They must not have a car either to travel and see these places.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I don’t think they’ve been to Jakes or Soda City Market or Noma Bark park or really anywhere in the city if there’s no dog culture. Lmao. Things like that? They must not have a car either to travel and see these places.
True. Augusta doesn't offer more than any of the biggest 3 SC cities. It has a couple of shopping and eating options Columbia doesn't. But overall Columbia is bigger and offers more. A nice size zoo, a large arena, a better airport, big college atmosphere, etc. And it definitely doesn't offer more than Charleston or Greenville. All 3 metros are about twice the size of the Augusta metro area, and they have CSAs which Augusta doesn't. And it's growing slower than them all. Nice city, but lots of this stuff said earlier in the thread just isn't true.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:40 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
True. Augusta doesn't offer more than any of the biggest 3 SC cities. It has a couple of shopping and eating options Columbia doesn't. But overall Columbia is bigger and offers more. A nice size zoo, a large arena, a better airport, big college atmosphere, etc. And it definitely doesn't offer more than Charleston or Greenville. All 3 metros are about twice the size of the Augusta metro area, and they have CSAs which Augusta doesn't. And it's growing slower than them all. Nice city, but lots of this stuff said earlier in the thread just isn't true.
None of the SC big three metros are about twice the size of metro Augusta.

Greenville 920,477
Columbia SC 837,092
Charleston 802,122
Augusta 608,980

Old 05-15-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
None of the SC big three metros are about twice the size of metro Augusta.

Greenville 920,477
Columbia SC 837,092
Charleston 802,122
Augusta 608,980
I said about. Especially Greenville. And the SC metros all have a CSA. And they're all growing faster. 920k is a great deal more than 608k. Heck, Greenville county alone has over 530k people. I can feel the difference when I go to Augusta. Less traffic and density. Still a nice city, just feels smaller.

Last edited by DSMRE; 05-15-2021 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 05:48 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post

Why did you resurrect a 3 year old thread after you already started another one on the exact same subject?

Old 05-17-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Why did you resurrect a 3 year old thread after you already started another one on the exact same subject?
Lol. It seems that it was intended to downplay South Carolina's 3 biggest metro areas. But they're actually doing pretty well and growth is strong despite not having an Atlanta in the state. I could argue that Atlanta being so big handicaps it's smaller cities in the state.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:06 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
I said about. Especially Greenville. And the SC metros all have a CSA. And they're all growing faster. 920k is a great deal more than 608k. Heck, Greenville county alone has over 530k people. I can feel the difference when I go to Augusta. Less traffic and density. Still a nice city, just feels smaller.
Augusta is the largest city in GA without a CSA. Its consolidated with the county of Richmond
All GA main largest cities are on the border with the exception of Macon and of course Atlanta. South Carolina is a small state which could be the reason it has so many CSAs.
Quote:
The primary distinguishing factor between a CSA and an MSA/µSA is that the social and economic ties between the individual MSAs/µSAs within a CSA are at lower levels than between the counties within an MSA. CSAs represent multiple metropolitan or micropolitan areas that have an employment interchange of at least 15%. CSAs often represent regions with overlapping labor and media markets.
Georgia plays more a role for a state that is almost twice the size of SC

Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 AM

202 posts, read 226,594 times
Not sure why there are two duplicate threads on this topic but if u want to compare.
Columbia is overall larger with a metro over 200k larger than Augusta.
Columbia is home to the flagship university of South Carolina with an SEC football team. August University does have a medical school but overall it is a glorified community college with no major sports teams ( certainly not in a powerhouse conference like The SEC).
Columbia has a larger airport with more direct flights to more cities.
Both cities have military bases.
Both cities have similar demographics
Columbia is the state capital which gives it more of a statewide spotlight
Augusta has the annual Masters tournament
As far as shopping and restaurants both cities are pretty even with Columbia having a slight edge
Augusta is an hour closer to Atlanta. Columbia is closer to Charlotte and the beaches
Both cities are pretty affordable. Augusta may be slightly cheaper
Columbia has a better downtown and better nightlife. Augusta seems to be in a constant transition phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area