Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 09:49 AM

202 posts, read 226,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Why did you resurrect a 3 year old thread after you already started another one on the exact same subject?
I thought the same thing. It appears the OP has an agenda and is not really interested in honest feedback. What was the purpose of creating 2 threads on this topic. I get a feeling this could be another alias of you know who
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 09:54 AM

202 posts, read 226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Lol. It seems that it was intended to downplay South Carolina's 3 biggest metro areas. But they're actually doing pretty well and growth is strong despite not having an Atlanta in the state. I could argue that Atlanta being so big handicaps it's smaller cities in the state.
Bingo! Atlanta keeps the other metros in Georgia from really growing much beyond their current states. Metro Atlanta has over half the population for Georgia. Not the case for states like SC and NC where you have more than one viable metro area. Augusta's economy is also heavily dependant on government spending.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:40 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBrat619 View Post
Bingo! Atlanta keeps the other metros in Georgia from really growing much beyond their current states. Metro Atlanta has over half the population for Georgia. Not the case for states like SC and NC where you have more than one viable metro area. Augusta's economy is also heavily dependant on government spending.

I think its really incorrect to say Atlanta was the reason other cities didnt grow because of Atlanta.
Every Georgia main big cities are doing great things with their downtowns and have been doing so for years. Problem is the locals that have to decide what they want for their city to focus on.Georgia is a big state compared to the Carolinas.
I think the capital should have either stayed in Millegdville or Savannah and it would have made a difference.

For a long time and even still Atlanta in more smaller parts of GA is an awful place with crime and gasp!.....diversity.! lol

You can make an argument more N.C. and SC when i comes to its size of its cities. SC's arent that much bigger than Georgias second tier cities. Some of you are a bit ridiculous with the comments.

Government sector is one of the most stable economies. State government is more volitale than federal government. Augusta has more of the latter as opposed to Columbia with more state jobs

Old 05-19-2021, 12:55 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBrat619 View Post
Not sure why there are two duplicate threads on this topic but if u want to compare.
Columbia is overall larger with a metro over 200k larger than Augusta.
Columbia is home to the flagship university of South Carolina with an SEC football team. August University does have a medical school but overall it is a glorified community college with no major sports teams ( certainly not in a powerhouse conference like The SEC).
Columbia has a larger airport with more direct flights to more cities.
Both cities have military bases.
Both cities have similar demographics
Columbia is the state capital which gives it more of a statewide spotlight
Augusta has the annual Masters tournament
As far as shopping and restaurants both cities are pretty even with Columbia having a slight edge
Augusta is an hour closer to Atlanta. Columbia is closer to Charlotte and the beaches
Both cities are pretty affordable. Augusta may be slightly cheaper
Columbia has a better downtown and better nightlife. Augusta seems to be in a constant transition phase.
A population of 200,000 larger does not make for a huge difference in size or amenities
Within 1-2 hours are 5 airports Atlanta,Macon,Columbia, and Savannah's which is the busiest outside of Atlanta in the state and runs lightly behind Charleston's in traffic.

Augusta State merged with the Medical College if Georgia so calling it glorified community college because it lacks college football is crazy. Georgia State University didnt have football untill about 6 years ago and its bigger than USC student population by a good bit.
Augusta State since the merger has been in constant expansion mode and downtown Augusta is benefiting from that.
The fact that the state medical school is now a part of Augusta State means that Augusta has medical capabilities that exceed its size.

Both cities have military bases but Augusta has major commands like Cyber Command and the NSA has its regional headquarters there. The military sector is substantially larger in its impact on the city's economy.
Quote:
Fort Gordon has approximately 30,000 military and civilian employees and currently has an estimated $1.1 billion economic impact on the Augusta-Richmond County economy.
Augusta has emerge as one of the top cities for cyber security which is an exploding field. The new Cyber Command that is there will have 4000 high paying tech jobs

Fort Jackson in Columbia
Quote:
Annual expenditures by Fort Jackson exceed $716.9 million for salaries, utilities, contracts and other services.
The Georgia Cyber Center cant be overlooked either .
Quote:
The $100 million center represents the single largest investment in a cybersecurity facility by a state government to date. The center trains the next generation of professionals through education and real-world practice, and it supports innovative companies focused on technology to strengthen online defenses.
It is THE main place in the Southeast for Cyber Security which is a hie growing field. The state of Georgia was smart to seize on the Army moving its Cyber command there.

The Masters is a big deal and its not fair to mention if without noting how big of an economic engine it is as it generates over $100 million each year to Augusta area economy.

So Augusta may be smaller but its on the beginning of a huge renaissance as it has the Masters and its Cyber Security leading sector that causes it to stand out. Augusta is making big move to capitalize on those things and in the near future ,this topic will less so black and white

Old 05-22-2021, 03:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Not far enough. Augusta is ahead of Columbia. Even if not a ton, I do notice its friendlier in Augusta.

I don't get why Columbians within city limits seem so rude and mean. Its just as much like Philadelphia as it is like the deep south. Lots of people seem to have mean dogs or raise them to be like that but a lot don't walk them I've noticed also. Not a lot of a dog culture. People seem so ignorant to me in Columbia coming from up north and someone who plans to be going back to Tampa soon. Not a good LGBTQ scene as well in Cola town.

Augusta gave me the impression that its ahead on things Columbia isn't and won't be. I feel its the GA advantage. Being closer to Atlanta. in the same state as Atlanta.

SC is a vacation state I feel, the state should push vacation imo and less people moving in, just to visit kinda like Oregon does, some places even more transient than some in FL even. In SC I feel its made people mean when a lot of these people have come in and took up all the housing. Its like Oregons polar opposite mixed with South Nevada. Atlanta is looking to be like a Phoenix/L.A kind of place otoh.. SC doesn't have one of those.
You responded to a three-year-old post of mine just to continue your grievance campaign against Columbia? Geesh...let it go already. And your impressions of Augusta compared to Columbia are rooted in that grievance and aren't objective, which is why you speak in the most general terms possible aside from the perceived friendliness of the residents. Truthfully you don't know much at all about either place. It takes time to truly get to know a new city, at least three years IMO.

Every place isn't for everybody, and we're in the midst of a once-in-a-century global pandemic which has shaken things up in ways we probably won't fully realize until a few years down the road. That said, just please move on already and stop giving so much attention to what you deem as negative. You're starting to become obsessive and trollish and that helps no one.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:00 PM

346 posts, read 308,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I don’t think they’ve been to Jakes or Soda City Market or Noma Bark park or really anywhere in the city if there’s no dog culture. Lmao. Things like that? They must not have a car either to travel and see these places.

Actually no, there isn't too much of a dog culture here. People do own them, but its not a lifestyle like up north or out west where people go to parks with their dogs. So I have to agree. Its rare to find a really nice park as it is. I have found. So to a point these people I think are correct.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:31 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Actually no, there isn't too much of a dog culture here. People do own them, but its not a lifestyle like up north or out west where people go to parks with their dogs. So I have to agree. Its rare to find a really nice park as it is. I have found. So to a point these people I think are correct.
I don’t respond to you anymore, if you haven’t noticed, because your way of thinking is way backwards. I see dogs everywhere I go. You must be blind. I was literally in Sweet Cream on Main Street and they had an ice cream for freaking dogs. A mom and pop shop, not a chain. Again, clearly, you do not get out much. I see them on the dam even though they aren’t allowed, and no one cares, I see them at Saluda Shoals, I see them everywhere downtown, I see them at the drive-in sometimes (not as popular), I see them in grocery stores (even when they’re clearly not service animals). Point being, you have to try hard to not see a dog in public literally everyday. I mean for crying out loud, the city parks have freaking drinking fountains for dogs! They’re built into the bottoms of the human ones, it’s just a separate button. Please tell me what dog culture you’re speaking of? I know of local dog Instagrams that gets 10s of thousands of likes. Ones a golden doodle. I mean what more do you want? I can go to a park with my dogs but why would I when they can be unleashed and free, playing with other dogs, at the park SPECIFICALLY MEANT FOR THEM? I don’t get this up north/out west BS you constantly go on about. You’re one of those people who aggravate those who are from here. You ***** and moan about how much you hated the places you were, only to ***** and moan that the place you are now is nowhere like the place you hated. You can’t get your cake and eat it too.

P.S. Nice Parks for your consideration:

West Columbia/Cayce Riverwalk
Riverfront Park
Sesquicentennial State Park
Saluda Shoals Park
Saluda Riverwalk
Southeast Park
And literally tons of local neighborhood small parks.
Some may be run down, yes, but the city has been working on them recently (just redid Greenview in North Columbia and are currently working on Hyatt Park off North Main). So at least they’re working on it.

Old 08-30-2021, 01:06 AM

346 posts, read 308,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I don’t respond to you anymore, if you haven’t noticed, because your way of thinking is way backwards. I see dogs everywhere I go. You must be blind. I was literally in Sweet Cream on Main Street and they had an ice cream for freaking dogs. A mom and pop shop, not a chain. Again, clearly, you do not get out much. I see them on the dam even though they aren’t allowed, and no one cares, I see them at Saluda Shoals, I see them everywhere downtown, I see them at the drive-in sometimes (not as popular), I see them in grocery stores (even when they’re clearly not service animals). Point being, you have to try hard to not see a dog in public literally everyday. I mean for crying out loud, the city parks have freaking drinking fountains for dogs! They’re built into the bottoms of the human ones, it’s just a separate button. Please tell me what dog culture you’re speaking of? I know of local dog Instagrams that gets 10s of thousands of likes. Ones a golden doodle. I mean what more do you want? I can go to a park with my dogs but why would I when they can be unleashed and free, playing with other dogs, at the park SPECIFICALLY MEANT FOR THEM? I don’t get this up north/out west BS you constantly go on about. You’re one of those people who aggravate those who are from here. You ***** and moan about how much you hated the places you were, only to ***** and moan that the place you are now is nowhere like the place you hated. You can’t get your cake and eat it too.

P.S. Nice Parks for your consideration:

West Columbia/Cayce Riverwalk
Riverfront Park
Sesquicentennial State Park
Saluda Shoals Park
Saluda Riverwalk
Southeast Park
And literally tons of local neighborhood small parks.
Some may be run down, yes, but the city has been working on them recently (just redid Greenview in North Columbia and are currently working on Hyatt Park off North Main). So at least they’re working on it.

And you're clueless and falsely enlightened also since if you hadn't realized, not everyone can access those parks in those neighborhoods too easily if they live some place else like around Irmo.

Ironic how someone is calling me backwards since I find a lot of the area is as it is the deep south, and tbh the south kinda sucks.

Then fine DON'T speak to me anymore!

Old 08-30-2021, 02:07 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
And you're clueless and falsely enlightened also since if you hadn't realized, not everyone can access those parks in those neighborhoods too easily if they live some place else like around Irmo.

Ironic how someone is calling me backwards since I find a lot of the area is as it is the deep south, and tbh the south kinda sucks.

Then fine DON'T speak to me anymore!
Saluda Shoals is in Irmo* There’s also the town and community park for your consideration, the Michael and Mary Meech Mungo Park, and Friarsgate Park as well as Harbison State Forest. Again, all because you don’t go there doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It sounds like to me you’re a hermit. Who moves somewhere just to bash it all the time? Also, it’s not being falsely enlightened if you have freaking eyes. If you find it backwards then for the love of god leave. Please. Do us all a favor. Move to Augusta then. They’d be more than happy to put up with this BS. Until you’re ready to put something toward the solution, then don’t complain. There’s nothing constructive coming out of it. Not once have I heard you say you’ve tried reaching out to local officials about ANY of the “issues” you say you face. You’re the antithesis of civic duty. The anti-NortonGuy, the anti-CharlestonData. People who are more than happy to call their elected officials. You need me to give you your local officials numbers? If you’re in irmo I can tell who they are even and where one lives. I’ve been in Chip Huggins house I can have him give you a call. No? Then please stop your moaning. Ugh, you remind me of ClemVegas.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:58 PM

57 posts, read 76,429 times
I lived in Augusta metro for 4 years, have to say Columbia has a lot more to do but there are some things better in Augusta. Augusta has better Greenways (North Augusta / Augusta Canal), they also now have a TopGolf and a Apple Store. Columbia overall though has a lot more options for families having kids in both places. The Zoo / EdAdventure/ parks such as Congaree National Park in the metro. Lake Murray is also much more part of the metro the Clarks Hill Lake was to Augusta. Columbia metro has a significantly higher level of good dining options (local, I try to avoid chains) than Augusta. The nice suburban areas with good schools such as Lexington in SC feel closer than Evans in GA to the central areas of the metro. Overall though both are behind a lot of other metros in the South (Charlotte, Raleigh, Greenville, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, Hampton Roads etc) but both improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area