U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM

124 posts, read 215,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
In a new location
What do you mean? It's a new store to the mall and the metro, so of course it's a new location.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM

124 posts, read 215,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowd2bfrumAugusta View Post
I luv house of hoops. It iz so grate. They sell the best shoos for me 2 get my slam dunk game on!
TRANSLATION: 'House of Hoops is a great retail establishment. It is wonderful. The sell quality shoes for use when playing basketball.'

Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,415 posts, read 13,310,741 times
The Augusta mall is by far the most upscale mall outside of metro Atlanta, and can easily compete against the majority of malls in metro Atlanta(Mall of GA, Perimeter, North Point, Cumberland) except for Phipps/Lenox.

Augusta is not only attracting things in the state found only in metro Atlanta(Apple, Pandora, Chop House, Costco, Sephora, etc), but even stores/restaurants not located in Greenville/Columbia/Charleston(H&M).

H&M store coming to the Augusta Mall | The Augusta Chronicle

Shoppers at the Augusta Mall could have a new two-level fashion retail store to visit by early next spring. Mall representatives announced Monday that international fashion company H&M is adding its first store to the metro Augusta market.

Construction on the 23,000-square-foot store will begin this fall near Barnes & Noble, upstairs, and American Eagle Outfitters, downstairs. The store is likely to open in early spring 2014, said mall’s regional marketing manager, Melissa Wolf.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM

5,085 posts, read 7,219,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Augusta mall is by far the most upscale mall outside of metro Atlanta, and can easily compete against the majority of malls in metro Atlanta(Mall of GA, Perimeter, North Point, Cumberland) except for Phipps/Lenox.

Augusta is not only attracting things in the state found only in metro Atlanta(Apple, Pandora, Chop House, Costco, Sephora, etc), but even stores/restaurants not located in Greenville/Columbia/Charleston(H&M).

H&M store coming to the Augusta Mall | The Augusta Chronicle

Shoppers at the Augusta Mall could have a new two-level fashion retail store to visit by early next spring. Mall representatives announced Monday that international fashion company H&M is adding its first store to the metro Augusta market.

Construction on the 23,000-square-foot store will begin this fall near Barnes & Noble, upstairs, and American Eagle Outfitters, downstairs. The store is likely to open in early spring 2014, said mall’s regional marketing manager, Melissa Wolf.
Greenville has more options than Augusta, and is adding H&M actually. It also just added Anthropologie and other retailers not located in Augusta are currently building. Cabelas, Brooks Brothers, Dave and Busters', etc. Too many to list. Take a trip up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Greenville has more options than Augusta, and is adding H&M actually. It also just added Anthropologie and other retailers not located in Augusta are currently building. Cabelas, Brooks Brothers, Dave and Busters', etc. Too many to list. Take a trip up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
The new MSA population of Greenville is now well over 800k(now the largest over Columbia which is close to 800k), and it's bigger than the almost 600k in metro Augusta. I don't know why you had to mention Greenville has more overall options. But let's not act like Augusta didn't get managed to get Apple, Imax, Sephora, Forever 21, etc before Greenville did though. Or we don't have things like Jared Galleria, Tin Drum Asian Cafe, etc here, and not in Greenville. I'm positive the Village at Riverwatch, Carmax area, 44 acre development at Walton Way Extension/I-20, and the 25 acre development in the Medical District will attract something not in Greenville yet. Is H&M coming to Greenvile an rumor or official?

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-13-2013 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM

613 posts, read 957,966 times
Quote:
The new MSA population of Greenville is now well over 800k(now the largest over Columbia which is close to 800k), and it's bigger than the almost 600k in metro Augusta. I don't know why you had to mention Greenville has more overall options. But let's not act like Augusta didn't get managed to get Apple, Imax, Sephora, Forever 21, etc before Greenville did though. Or we don't have things like Jared Galleria, Tin Drum Asian Cafe, etc here, and not in Greenville. I'm positive the Village at Riverwatch, Carmax area, 44 acre development at Walton Way Extension/I-20, and the 25 acre development in the Medical District will attract something not in Greenville yet. Is H&M coming to Greenvile an rumor or official?
I saw that looking at the census info. Kind of shocked but not. It's like it's Charleston, Greenville then Columbia. Also, is Augusta at 575,000+ or was that a projection. Either way, our metro population is dominating the other 2nd tier cities. If the city's population, retail, dining, etc, continues to grow, Augusta will be to Atlanta what Pittsburgh is to Philly.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,636,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
I saw that looking at the census info. Kind of shocked but not. It's like it's Charleston, Greenville then Columbia. Also, is Augusta at 575,000+ or was that a projection. Either way, our metro population is dominating the other 2nd tier cities. If the city's population, retail, dining, etc, continues to grow, Augusta will be to Atlanta what Pittsburgh is to Philly.
Very good post, Augusta has managed to grow even while in the past the city has experienced a slight decline. The city proper has so much room to grow it's not even funny. Richmond County could easily hold twice if not 3 times its population and as can Columbia and especially Aiken County. If the infrastructure can be put into place the state of Georgia has a gem that could really shine in the future.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM

5,085 posts, read 7,219,873 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter who landed what first. Which one has more options? It matters which has a higher quality of life to me. Officially you were going to get Bass Pro Shops too right? It was official. Can't go by that. Greenville has more to offer at this stage, and actually so does Columbia and Charleston. There is more to a city than retail options. Nothing against Augusta. An announced H&M doesn't leap you ahead of those cities in quality of life or retail options. I think more concentration in Augusta needs to be on city center and private/public partnership developments. That'll really get the city going. Rumors tend to come true in these neck of the woods, and H&M was just announced for Charleston's King Street. Any bets our rumored one gets built before you official one?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Doesn't matter who landed what first. Which one has more options? It matters which has a higher quality of life to me. Officially you were going to get Bass Pro Shops too right? It was official. Can't go by that. Greenville has more to offer at this stage, and actually so does Columbia and Charleston. There is more to a city than retail options. Nothing against Augusta. An announced H&M doesn't leap you ahead of those cities in quality of life or retail options. I think more concentration in Augusta needs to be on city center and private/public partnership developments. That'll really get the city going. Rumors tend to come true in these neck of the woods, and H&M was just announced for Charleston's King Street. Any bets our rumored one gets built before you official one?
Why are you going off subject? Okay, so the answer is H&M is not official in Greenville at this point.

I would love to bet H&M opens in Augusta before Greenville. I can't remember any of the recent construction projects(including the entire promenade section outside) at the mall taking much longer than the anticipated completion date. I don't know why you think the Augusta mall would take forever to build one store, and it built an entire 200k outdoor section on time.

Bass Pro announce many stores during the recession, and probably got ahead of themselves. They stopped building COMPLETELY, and just started building again. Several cities including Huntsville, Al didn't get their store either.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM

35,846 posts, read 33,874,129 times
I give Augusta some credit in the retail department; that's one area in which it performs at or above par compared to regional peer cities. But you can't put too much stock into who got which particular stores first. For instance, Raleigh and Winston-Salem got Whole Foods and H&M before Charlotte, but obviously Charlotte's overall retail scene is superior. And I still think it's interesting that Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville each have a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and Augusta has yet to get either. Charleston has an Urban Outfitters, and one is coming to downtown Columbia; Greenville has an REI. Those are two more retailers that aren't yet present in Augusta. All of this just goes to show the "iffiness" of the retail industry when it comes to deciding where to locate. In a lot of cases, retailers have waited for several years to enter a market; it's just that the right location hasn't been made available yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area