Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM

371 posts, read 886,370 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering how the people who have recently moved to Austin are dealing with the bugs and snakes? I'm actually looking for some people who have posted their fears here in this forum....of course all posts are welcome.

I know that there are a lot of people who are tired of hearing about people who are scared of the bugs and snakes in Austin...but this is a real concern. I read the post by Unclemeat titled "Can you identify this bug?", and it scared me to death. I've never seen a bug that big before, and I'm praying that is not your normal size centipede.

So...How are the neo-Austinites dealing with their new environment?

Thank you in advance.

Dee

P.S.-Please don't post any pictures. I have enough visuals. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM

653 posts, read 1,793,786 times
I think twice before walking through tall (or even semi-tall) grass.
Some fear is healthy.

I realize that the critters are probably more afraid of me than I am of them, and unless they feel threatened are likely to leave me alone.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,604 times
Happy to report that other than mosquito bites I haven't seen any big bugs or snakes. Our apartment complex has a nature preserve behind it so I have been on the lookout, but so far so good. I can handle bugs, but I draw the line at snakes. I really think a lot of the bug and snake issues have more to do with where you live (out in the country, greenbelt and new building) than anything else.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I think twice before walking through tall (or even semi-tall) grass.
Some fear is healthy.

I realize that the critters are probably more afraid of me than I am of them, and unless they feel threatened are likely to leave me alone.
I haven't moved yet to Austin, so I can't really answer the way the OP would like. (Although I lived in Austin years ago, and visit often.) But I wanted to comment that there is a reason why Texans wear boots when out in the grass - it is protective against the snake you may fail to see (or the one that fails to see you.) You say that some fear is healthy, and I suppose that is true, but I would prefer to call it respect. It is really a good thing to find out about animals that might be a threat, and act appropriately to avoid them or deal with them when you do see them. I don't call that fear; I call it careful respect. I am not a psychologist, but I think that when we learn about and understand animals, we are more likely to be free of unreasonable fear. And you are completely right about critters being afraid of us.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM

153 posts, read 511,294 times
Hi, here's a perspective from a not-so-neo Austinite with a fear of bugs. I've lived in Central Texas for almost 15 years, but where I'm originally from the bugs and insects are much smaller than here and don't bite or sting (except for bees and wasps, we had those too), and I never quite got used to what look to me as super-sized arthropods.

For most of the 15 years I lived in urban apartment settings and usually the bugs I'd see were roaches. Some small, some large (outdoor roaches), a few times some that fly. Luckily I met a very brave woman who is now my wife, who protects me from bugs as best as she can (she was born and raised in Texas). Whereas I used to go hiding in one corner of the apartment for four hours until the roach would re-emerge, or literally turn everything upside down in an effort to find the roach, or go to sleep in my car overnight, my wife would just quietly kill them before I even see them.

Now, we live in a house in a newly developed subdivision. What a difference! I have yet to see a single roach in the house (knock on wood!), but instead we have a bunch of other interesting insects I've never seen before. They are rarely inside the house, especially after we signed up for regular pest control treatments. I like to take walks around our neighborhood late in the evening and thought I was safe staying on the road, but the other day I almost stepped on a giant spider. Instinctively I jumped sideways and the spider ran off the other direction. Then, we both stopped and looked at each other in disbelief. It was pretty weird. Anyway, I now take a flashlight with me to walk.

I don't have much experience with snakes (yet), positive or negative. I do wear boots whenever I work in the yard.

Realistically, the most dangerous creatures we have are probably the ones I fear the least (and my wife fears the most), the deer.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,010 times
I'm definitely working through some things since moving here. I came here disliking certain bugs, but not fully afraid of all bugs and critters. I actually become phobic AFTER moving here. There are definitely more bugs than from where I'm from but the ones that I can't seem to get a handle on are the giant, monster sized tree roaches or "water bugs". They are not in everyones homes because my Mom never has them and I have friends who never see them. I just happen to have moved to two different homes that are invaded frequently by them. It's because I love to live in very wooded areas and that's their habitat. good times. I really hope I get over it eventually. I hate feeling so much fear over a stupid bug.
Pest control is a MUST. I hate seeing dying bugs but way better than them running around free in my home.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 PM

21 posts, read 37,303 times
I just moved here last month and so far the bugs are...bugs. Nothing too big and scary as of yet. You got your locusts and LOTS of rolly pollies (i didnt know rolly pollies hung out in Texas like this lol), things that buzz and grasshoppers/crickets. But nothing that is on Fear Factor status as of yet.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 PM

313 posts, read 786,056 times
I was at the gas station one night and I'm pointing at this "bat" fluttering around. "hey look, its a bat". Guy looks at me like I'm a moron and says:

no, that was a witch moth...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
I was driving from austin to houston and stopped to get gas. As I stepped out of the car I stepped on something that crunched which turned out to be a beetle. As I looked around I realized the entire gas station was completely covered with swarming beetles. You could not take a step without stepping on one.

A girl in an SUV pulled up and got out of her car to pump gas. It took her about 10 seconds to scream and get back inside her car. I offered to pump her gas for her.

The worst bugs to me are the crickets that swarm retail stores at night. Nothing like thousands of crickets jumping around as you try to go to HEB.

The next worst are the beetle swarms (june bugs?)

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

371 posts, read 886,370 times
Thank you all so much for your replies. You've put my mind at ease. I've had nightmares, since I read the post by Unclemeat titled "Can you identify this bug?".

I know a lot of people think it's crazy to make a decision on whether or not to move based on bugs...but if you have a real fear, you have to look into these things. Right?

Now, I can handle moths, bats, mosquitoes, roaches, but the large tarantulas and centipedes scare me to death. In addition to the snakes that I've seen in this forum, I was rethinking things. Now, I feel like I can survive living in Austin. I can't wait to get there.

Please don't stop the posts, if you have something else to add.

Dee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin