Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM

25 posts, read 80,935 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I just moved to Austin and I am interested in the many bike trails the city offers, however I am in no way in shape to do hills right now (that's kind of the point, wanna lose weight) so I want to start biking but I need to know where to go that's a little bit flatter.
I'm trying to find somewhere scenic preferably close to Mopac or west of 35 (closer to the arboretum would be perfect). Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,620,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKenobi View Post
Hello everyone!

I just moved to Austin and I am interested in the many bike trails the city offers, however I am in no way in shape to do hills right now (that's kind of the point, wanna lose weight) so I want to start biking but I need to know where to go that's a little bit flatter.
I'm trying to find somewhere scenic preferably close to Mopac or west of 35 (closer to the arboretum would be perfect). Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

The Zilker Park bike trail is pretty flat

Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
I suggest you look up the Austin Cycling Association. They have many documented routes that you might find interesting.

I am no longer a cyclist but was for many years. It is not easy to find "flat" terrain to ride in the Austin area.

RR620 west of 2222 is relatively flat and has good shoulders. But it is not scenic.

Southwest Parkway is not flat but not nearly as hilly as 360 or Bee Caves Rd.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,259,905 times
Problem with the Arboretum area is that in general that section of town isn't called "Northwest Hills" for nothing! It'll be a bit tough by find both scenic but relatively flat out in that area of town. Assuming you have a mountain bike (since you did mention "trails"), you could try Walnut Creek Park, just west of I35 and south of Parmer. It has many trails that are relatively flat (I have taken my sub 10yo kids out there mountain biking).

If you don't mind a bit of driving, I would second the hike and bike trail around Town Lake (someone specifically said Zilker, but I assume this is what they meant). A decently long trail that's relatively flat and of course, quite scenic. If you start getting in better shape and start feeling more adventurous you can head off onto the Barton Creek Greenbelt (mix of fairly easy stuff and some real hairy stuff, don't be too ashamed to walk your bike if you're in over your head).

Another trail to try is the Shoal Creek Trail. It goes all the way from 38th down to the lake. It's a mix of paved (and street) and gravel with just a few smaller hills thrown in. Again, definitely scenic (in parts anyway).

Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
The Bull Creek greenbelt is fairly flat, and close to the arboretum. The hilly course there, Forest Ridge, was closed to mountain bikers some years back.

Also Walnut Creek has several courses, some are fairly flat.

Flattest course would probably be the Ladybird Lake trail. But it's primarily a jogging trail, and on the west side tends to be quite crowded.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
There are group rides from Mellow Johnny's on 4th St., generally each Saturday @ 8:30am. These rides usually follow some of the marked bike routes, most without significant hills. As mentioned, the ACA has weekly rides and pretty good descriptions of terrain and average speed for each.

Austin Cycling Association | Austin Cycling Association promotes access, education, safety and enjoyment of cycling in Central Texas.

If you want really flat, head east of 35; say, Pf-ville Lake area...it's farmland with hardly a hill to be found. Not close in as you were seeking but worth the trip if you want to cruise 20-30 miles without climbing.

When we first started looking for a house, we spent time along 2222 between 620 and MoPac(specifically River Place) and generally areas west of the 'Mo'. I thought out loud, "I'll never even get my bike out of the neighborhood!" after seeing some of the hills in RP and Courtyard and Steiner.

Fortunately, it is easy to find some 'flatland' for us 'big folk' to ride on. Just have to use some of the above suggestions to start. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,259,905 times
Actually there are plenty of "flat"areas to ride around in, various neighborhoods, etc. The OP specifically asked for "scenic" routes west of I35, though they don't say if scenic is more along the lines of the previous suggestions or if riding through Tarrytown is "scenic". If the latter is true, then I'm sure folks could recommend lots of other nice neighborhood areas (e.g. Hyde Park) that one could ride.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKenobi View Post
Hello everyone!

If you are talking mountain biking, walnut creek is probably the best one. It is also leash free so if you have a dog, your dog can run the trail. Off spicewood springs rd is st edwards park which also has a beginning mountain bike trail, but it does have some hills.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,695 times
I agree with Austin97 that Walnut Creek is probably the best the place for mountain biking in town, but I definitely wouldn't call it flat or a good place for beginners. Some of the trails there are intermediate to advanced and it's easy to take a wrong turn and end up on one of those trails. Plus you'll have more experienced mountain bikers flying by you.

Brushy Creek Trail is probably the best place that offers what you're looking for in my opinion, but it might be a little far North for you. It's worth checking out on a weekend if you have time and it's really not that far from the Arboretum if you take 183 and cut through Avery Ranch.

Park Profile: Brushy Creek Lake Park

City of Cedar Park - Brushy Creek Lake Park (http://www.ci.cedar-park.tx.us/cp/pr_bclp.aspx - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin