Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 7,510 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Austin area, my brother currently lives in the Cedar Park area and they love it. I have been looking in that area and also in the 78726 area code, does anyone have any suggestions as to which is a better area? Or any other good areas on the North- Northwest side of town. I want somewhere safe (low crime), with good schools, I have 3 school age kids. I also wanted to know how diverse it is in these areas because my kids are mixed (white & black) and I don't want them to run into any problems in school.

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,698 times
Cedar Park sounds like it would be a good fit for you. It's become fairly diverse, so your children shouldn't have a problem.

The 78726 zip code looks pretty nice. I wasn't familiar with that area, but I looked it up, and it looks like it's fairly close to the lake off of 620. That should be a really nice area, but I'm not sure if you'll see a whole lot of diversity.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your price range? There are some areas of Round Rock that you might be interested in - Walsh Ranch, Hidden Glen, Lake Forest and Forest Creek.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM

I'm looking to rent either a house or apartment in the $1000-$1100 range

Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,266,854 times
Many Austin suburbs look similar to Houston suburbs. Katy, Leander and Cedar Park are virtually identical. Flat, treeless, and lots of tract homes 5 feet from each other! Both are low on crime and have decent schools.
If you MUST move to the Austin suburbs, I would personally find someplace along 620 west of 183 and Anderson Mill. Steiner Ranch has some real high end people living there. You will find some of those famous "tall austin bushes" that resemble short trees. Lakeway area is also a decent place to be, but that 2222 commute might drive you nuts!! I did it for 2 years back when I first moved here and I lived in an apartment on 620.

Of course, I would also have to recommend Avery Ranch. Although fairly flat, the homes are very diverse in areas and its great for familes. The whole area is virtually free of hicks and rednecks. (accept for a few isolated areas west of Parmer and AR road) As long as you don't venture into west RR where AR road becomes Oconner, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty2010 View Post
I am looking to move to the Austin area, my brother currently lives in the Cedar Park area and they love it. I have been looking in that area and also in the 78726 area code, does anyone have any suggestions as to which is a better area? Or any other good areas on the North- Northwest side of town. I want somewhere safe (low crime), with good schools, I have 3 school age kids. I also wanted to know how diverse it is in these areas because my kids are mixed (white & black) and I don't want them to run into any problems in school.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 AM

thanks for the great advice, I am going to check into some of those areas!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,698 times
The price range you're looking at might pose a few obstacles. Do you want to be close to your brother? If not, you might want to look into Pflugerville. There is plenty of diversity in Pflugerville, and depending upon what zone you live in, the schools in the district are pretty good. I would look into Falcon Pointe, Black Hawk, Villages of Hidden Lake, Avalon and Highland Park. You might be able to find a house to rent at your price point.

Good luck and welcome to Austin!

Last edited by Mrs.JT; 06-15-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,695 times
Yes, if you want a house in that price range and you want to stay close to Cedar Park, then you should probably look at Leander. It's further away from Austin, but still very close to Cedar Park. However, I wouldn't consider Cedar Park or Leander diverse.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,777,766 times
Given your desire for "good schools", diversity & you wanting to rent a home (or apartment) for 1K give or take.....I'd look at neighborhoods & / or nice apartments that feed into McNeil HS (or maybe Round Rock High School)

It's a RRISD HS (after Westwood, their top two HS's).....& both are culturally diverse. (Look at Greatschools.net for exact ethnic make up & test scores). After you map out these high schools (from the RRISD web site), you can dial down to MS & Elementaries....& from there locate exact neighborhoods (or apt. complexes).

This area is just south (& possibly a bit east) & probably 5-10 min. from Cedar Park & far more diverse than CP (imo). I'd bet there are hundreds of APTs & dozens of rental homes in that area.

Basically put a pin at the corner of Parmer & Anderson Mill Road & draw a 5 -7 mile circle around it.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin