Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 PM

206 posts, read 370,204 times

Advertisements

This is how sw austin punishes those who dont buy in and instead exercise free thinking isnt it. lemme try to answer your questions.

my wife works 3 blocks away so she doesnt miss anything. Including our weekly lunch with our child at school.

People dont buy into it because they are unaware they can do this. Realtors dont want people to innovate and think outside the box like I have.

Middle and high school? Should I care? Ill give you 150000 reasons why I shouldnt read my previous posts.

Build a neighborhood zoned to reagan? They did. Itd called mueller and the houses range to over a mullion dollars and many profesors and doctors call it home.

Steve I read your earlier posts and yousent your kids to private while in sw austin untul you moved to westlake. Do as you say and not ad you do right? Makes it Easier to sell the schools that you wouldnt send your own kids to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
So, if we )my wife and I) are 'innovative' and work near each other and near our kids school AND have essentially no commute, we are different how? Seems we are pretty much in the same situation but no commute - yet ours is not free thinking and yours is?

Who is being punished? If we debate with you it is punishment? Or is this how people that [whatever category you like to describe yourself in] punish those that chose for their needs?

Unaware that I can what? live at Davis and MoPac and commute every day to downtown? or wish that my kids were in another school far away, even though I don't think it likely makes any difference? I guess you could say that you have chosen to pay as little into the school system (inexpensive house) while trying to get the most out of it (schools in high property value areas).

Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Paying as littke as possible and getting the best achools? Isnt that what people in sw austin did 15 years ago when tjey bought in for 100-150? Now their selling those same houses for 300. Whose trying to game the system here?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suit-n-tie white guy View Post

People dont buy into it because they are unaware they can do this. Realtors dont want people to innovate and think outside the box like I have.

You seem to think that Realtors are some sort of Svengali-like mesmerizers of buyers and that, under our spell, buyers buy only what and where the Realtor instructs. That's not at all how it works. People choose houses and locations that they believe will best satisfy what they want from a home, community and schools. You've done the same, but seem upset that your personal choices are not validated by others following suit.

It just so happens that SW Austin fits many of the needs of buyers, which is why, at present, half the homes listed for sale in the 78749 zip code are under contract. Good schools, great location, great neighbors, good housing stock, nice lifestyle amenities, proximity to downtown and airport, parks, etc.

Look, there are a lot of great people here in the forums. Many long-time contributors, lots of different opinions. You're welcome as well, and your voice and opinions are welcome, but it's not clear what your objective is or what you hope to accomplish with your rants and judgments about others and our choices/opinions. Do you just want everyone to agree with you? Or do you think we're a lost herd of sheep and you're here to sheppard us to "right thinking"?

Steve

Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,192 times
I thought Meria wanted to shut down some of those older, under enrolled elementary schools.

Also I thought I read Mueller was going to go to McCallum. Did it end up at Reagan?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Isn't one of the main benefits of having school districts geographically based so the kids can have local friends? Or is that not as important as saving money?

This whole "good" school vs. "have to have it" school thing is getting annoying. More important than the school your child attends is the parent's involvement with their early development, and their reinforcement of positive behaviors and results down the road. Send your kids to the school near your house and get involved with their (and their peers) development.

Taking a child out of their natural geographic circle just to rely on someone else.to enhance their development just makes no sense to me.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 AM

Taking a kid put of there natural geography? People do it all the time. Its called p-r-i-v-a-t-e school. I basically got a free private school education for my child. im not discouraging my son from hanging out with the neighborhood kids when he gets home. He has friends hete as well. Im encouraging others to do what I have so they know they have options. Options that wont bleed them dry financially or force them to move like momnac2 seems to think is the only option.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Should a childless person buy in a good zone or get the same house for 150k less in a worse attendance area? for the privelege youll pay an extra 150k in interest and taxes over the course of 10 years or hiw ling it takes your kid to get to middle school.

Thats 150k youll neve get back.

Cost of a four year degree from Princeton? 175k!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 AM

389 posts, read 1,631,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I would really like to see AISD shoot for the moon and construct either a LEED Gold or LEED Platinum high school in this area.
I love it. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if the school was across town, right? I say bring it on; the sooner the average homeowner in Austin is paying $8k annually in AISD property taxes, the better.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM

People need to know rhey have options in this town. And they arent being told the entire story. Good achools arent a monoploy owned by a corner of town. there are plenty of great areas like cherry creek, southwood, all along manchacha. Id take them anyday. So what if crockets bad? What does it matter if you can afford the best privates schools from the money yove saved. Not to mention the posdible early payoff of your mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin