Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:49 AM

30 posts, read 161,351 times

Advertisements

When we first moved here last month, hubby and I actually thought they were birds their song is so loud. I know they are not cicadas as we had those up north.
Any ideas? They've got to be pretty sizable to be as loud as they are. They sound super cool.
I'm going to pick up a book that details all the local flora and fauna because I'm constantly wondering what things are.

Also, we found a female black widow (and a dead male lol) in our garage a few days ago. Does that mean it's likely we have more? I'd leave them alone, except we have little kids and a puppy.

ETA: I did not locate an egg sac anywhere when I cleaned up the web. Of course, she may have hidden it well or not laid one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The loud bugs are cicadas, or at least that's what we call them here (don't know the Latin name for the particular bug we have as opposed to the bug you had up North). You get where you can't sleep for a while if you move to someplace that doesn't have them.

We've found black widows, mainly around our storm shelter. Never have been bothered by them, but I'd assume if you have one (or in your case, two, especially), there will be more around.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM

17 posts, read 123,263 times
Though I'm not familiar with the habits of black widows, I'd assume like any other spider they're good at hiding their sacs, and that there will be more. Up here in Minnesota, even though we don't have poisonous ones, we do get ones that bite and we generally fog once or twice a year (they have some "pet safe" ones that I worry a little less about), and then we spray around the perimeter of the house with some home defense.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:49 PM

65 posts, read 248,505 times
The bugs you are hearing may be katydids. A guy in my neighborhood wrote a blog entry about it:

Pinwire.com » It

Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
I think Zach above is correct: katydids. Check this out:

Recognizing crickets, katydids, and cicadas

Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM

170 posts, read 270,799 times
The Black Widow usually will kill the male after mating so they may have just completed the deed and that is why he was dead. If that's the case you may have found her before she made the egg sac.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Another possibility is the sound of tree frogs. Their evening chorus was amazing just a while back. I don't know if it's still the season.
These sound clips are too brief to tell, but maybe do a search for a longer recording...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/texas_nature_trackers/amphibian_watch/amphibian_species/ (broken link)

Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Concerning the black widow, we have seen them in our woodpile and outside, sheltered areas from time to time. We have killed some that were in places we would frequent, but we have never felt the need to spray or take any chemical measures to kill them wholesale, even though we have raised a family here. Kids should learn that when you get wood from the woodpile, you put on gloves. Same with reaching into any small, sheltered area (under flower pots, in the back corners or undersides of seldom used shelves in the garage or outside, etc.) Even young kids can learn to identify places that would seem likely. They should also learn to identify the web of a black widow, which is completely disorganized and "messy" and fairly dense, unlike the neater, more orderly webs of many other spiders. And they can use the "when in doubt, shout it out" method, where they come to get an adult if they spot a spider that should be identified. My personal philosophy is that it is better to teach kids how to be safe in their environment rather than killing all that may harm them.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 PM

30 posts, read 161,351 times
Thanks so much for all the input!

I was excited that the sound could be katydids, but it's not. Not cicadas, either. They both have a build-up and wind-down to their song and the songs are long.
I'm thinking it's some kind of tree frog. I was just out listening as they started up around 9:00 and the song is 1-2 seconds long and loud. I'll figure it out eventually (not all those frog song would play for me haha), but for now it's really nice just to sit out on the patio and listen to them.

I've been teaching the kids to just leave spiders and snakes alone, but having them tell me when they find one is really wise. I'll make sure to do that. I would prefer not to be spraying or anything else that's going to be harmful to a lot of creatures (including people) and cost a bunch of money every few months. I will probably never enter this or any garage again without looking for them, but better to be aware of my surroundings I suppose.

Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Another possibility is the sound of tree frogs. Their evening chorus was amazing just a while back. I don't know if it's still the season.
These sound clips are too brief to tell, but maybe do a search for a longer recording...
TPWD: Frogs and Toads Found in Texas (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/texas_nature_trackers/amphibian_watch/amphibian_species/ - broken link)
That's a great link, thanks!

We always called treefrogs "peepers", now I see that is specific to chorus frogs...

Spring peepers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Gzji9Brow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: