Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 15,914 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are seriously considerign a move to Austin within the next year or so but I do have some concerns that some of you hopefully can address.

We met in Chicago about 5 years ago and when we got married (2 yrs ago), I moved to the suburbs where my husband owned a home. Originally from the suburbs of San Francisco, I thought living in the suburbs of Chicago would be a similar experience but boy was I wrong. Afterall, what is the point of living in the suburbs if you can't even take advantage of all the space and greenery? It's freezing 8 months out of the year so it's not like you can actually enjoy the outdoors. At least when I lived in Chicago, I could hibernate at home but still look out my window and see people braving the storm. At least when I lived in Chicago, I was surrounded by cool little shops that I could bundle up and run into in the winter. Now that I live in the suburbs, I can either battle my way through traffic to go to the city or I can go to one of many chain restaurants, eat, and then go home and hibernate some more. You might be wonderign why not just move back to the city. Well, I would, but my husband is a country boy at heart and doesn't think raising a family in the city is ideal which I agree with him on. We are expecting our first baby in November and it just doesn't make sense to move away from greenery to concrete at this point in our life.

So, it's time for us to explore other options that will offer us the best of both worlds. We're looking for a warm area with a little bit of arts and culture combined with enough space for a big house with a nice backyard where our future kids and dog can run around. I love festivals, lakes, hills, and warm weather and Austin seems to offer all of that at a fairly good price. I've read a lot of positive about Austin and some negative from folks who think the place is overrated. I happen to love Austin but my husband's never been so we are plannign a visit at the end of August to explore it. Of course we're only going to be there for a weekend so it's not like we'll ge the full picture of what life would be like there permanently but at least he can get a taste.

My major concern about the area is whether it will be diverse enough for my taste. I am Egyptian American and my husband is white. We also come from different religious backgrounds so we are definitley an unconventional couple. We would like to raise our kids in an enviornment where diversity is fully accepted and even somewhat appreciated. Is Austin the place for us?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,982,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzibelle1 View Post
we are planning (sic) a visit at the end of August to explore it.
Wow.. end of August. You may be visiting on perhaps the hottest day of the year. Just a forewarning - it will most likely be over 100 degrees, and you may end up aestivating instead of hibernating.

Yes, there is diversity, but not as much international diversity as say, Houston. Probably 95% of minorities in Austin are either Chinese, Indian (south Asian) or Mexican. Other subgroups, such as Pakistani, Croatian, Japanese, Somalian, Egyptian, etc. will be compose only a sliver of the demographic pie in Austin. It really depends on how one defines "diversity".

Anyhow, welcome to Austin, and I hope you enjoy the stay. Many great things to do, even when the temps are off the charts.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,443,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Wow.. end of August. You may be visiting on perhaps the hottest day of the year. Just a forewarning - it will most likely be over 100 degrees, and you may end up aestivating instead of hibernating.

Anyhow, welcome to Austin, and I hope you enjoy the stay. Many great things to do, even when the temps are off the charts.
Not to assume TOO much(she said originally from SF and maybe has never been to Egypt ); but, I think the temperature won't be a problem.

Originally Posted by jazzibelle1
we are planning (sic) a visit at the end of August to explore it.
"I am Egyptian American "
Egypt Weather -* Egypt Climate - Weather in Egypt

Just sayin'

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,341 times
There's enough diversity here that you definitely won't stand out. There are lots of "unconventional" couples (my hubby and me included) and we've NEVER felt uncomfortable here. Austin isn't the most diverse place in the world, but it tends to attract educated, open-minded folks, so that helps. Unfortunately, like many other cities Austin is bisected by a highway that effectively divides the city in two: the economically properous, predominently white west side and the working class, largely black and Hispanic east side. Being from a large northern city, I was taken aback when I first moved here by the "whiteness" of Austin.
As far as quality of life, Austin is a great place. Keep in mind, though, that it won't offer as many options as a place like Chicago. The heat and humidity may limit your activities for a few months of the year (unless you're one of those people that likes super-hot weather) as well. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 15,914 times
I lived in Egypt for 12 years so I'm used to heat. Not too worried about that. Would take heat over cold any day. Thanks for the heads up though. I think it's good that we're visiting in the summer so we know what to expect if we actually end up moving there. :-)

Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,724,645 times
I am a black male and 10 years ago I live in an old house of a white divorcee who's husband was from Eqypt, off E 53rd and 1/2. I know it's not the same thing, but you wouldn't be the first white/egyptian couple to have lived in town.

The only thing that will take you aback is the 'whiteness' in the center city (its not a bad thing but it is different than most cities), even the central eastside is losing its minorities at a good clip, but its filled with many progressives, so most won't look at you strangely. No doubt being an interracial couple will help you more.

Just my 2 cents..

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,083,246 times
Austin is semi-diverse, in my opinion. I'm of black and Japanese descent (50/50), and my son is 3/4 black and 1/4 Japanese. Several kids at my son's high school have asked if he's adopted because of my "skintone." LOL I pulled a lot from my Japanese mother's gene pool, so I guess my light complexion next to my son's brown skin confuses people? Multi-ethnicity was commonplace where I grew up, so it was never questioned. I always thought Austin was progressive enough to handle it, but I get a lot of comments and inquisitions. I don't mind it, but it surprises me at times.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 PM

3,038 posts, read 3,214,582 times
But why should it be surprising? You're different and people are curious and certainly it's ok to be curious right? Folks confuse my ethnicity _all_ the time, no one can nail it down (except for the few who are exactly the same). Because of that, I'm constantly asked about it, and I find it curious that some folks seem embarrassed to ask. Maybe I'm just used to it and have never lived in a location where everyone (or some large number of folk) was basically like me so no one needed to ask.

That said, I've never had a "problem" (as in a genuine problem) here in Austin. Lot's of "what the heck are you" questions, but no issues.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,083,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
But why should it be surprising? You're different and people are curious and certainly it's ok to be curious right? Folks confuse my ethnicity _all_ the time, no one can nail it down (except for the few who are exactly the same). Because of that, I'm constantly asked about it, and I find it curious that some folks seem embarrassed to ask. Maybe I'm just used to it and have never lived in a location where everyone (or some large number of folk) was basically like me so no one needed to ask.

That said, I've never had a "problem" (as in a genuine problem) here in Austin. Lot's of "what the heck are you" questions, but no issues.
You're right. "Surprise" was the wrong choice. But I didn't use the word to imply that I'm offended; therefore, I never meant that it was not okay to be curious. Of course it's okay. I welcome the inquisitions.

People will ask about my ethnic background out of curiosity, and I appreciate when the inquisitor is genuinely interested. I'm just slightly taken aback when people ask about my background, and upon hearing that I am half Japanese, respond by saying, "Omg, Your English is perfect. You have no accent." Um, yes. I am an American Citizen. I speak perfect English.

But, like you, I also find it peculiar when people seem embarrassed to ask. My friends and coworkers often ask if I ever get tired of it because I'm asked wherever I go. I never get tired of it. I don't mind sharing.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,922,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzibelle1 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are seriously considerign a move to Austin within the next year or so but I do have some concerns that some of you hopefully can address.

We met in Chicago about 5 years ago and when we got married (2 yrs ago), I moved to the suburbs where my husband owned a home. Originally from the suburbs of San Francisco, I thought living in the suburbs of Chicago would be a similar experience but boy was I wrong. Afterall, what is the point of living in the suburbs if you can't even take advantage of all the space and greenery? It's freezing 8 months out of the year so it's not like you can actually enjoy the outdoors. At least when I lived in Chicago, I could hibernate at home but still look out my window and see people braving the storm. At least when I lived in Chicago, I was surrounded by cool little shops that I could bundle up and run into in the winter. Now that I live in the suburbs, I can either battle my way through traffic to go to the city or I can go to one of many chain restaurants, eat, and then go home and hibernate some more. You might be wonderign why not just move back to the city. Well, I would, but my husband is a country boy at heart and doesn't think raising a family in the city is ideal which I agree with him on. We are expecting our first baby in November and it just doesn't make sense to move away from greenery to concrete at this point in our life.

So, it's time for us to explore other options that will offer us the best of both worlds. We're looking for a warm area with a little bit of arts and culture combined with enough space for a big house with a nice backyard where our future kids and dog can run around. I love festivals, lakes, hills, and warm weather and Austin seems to offer all of that at a fairly good price. I've read a lot of positive about Austin and some negative from folks who think the place is overrated. I happen to love Austin but my husband's never been so we are plannign a visit at the end of August to explore it. Of course we're only going to be there for a weekend so it's not like we'll ge the full picture of what life would be like there permanently but at least he can get a taste.

My major concern about the area is whether it will be diverse enough for my taste. I am Egyptian American and my husband is white. We also come from different religious backgrounds so we are definitley an unconventional couple. We would like to raise our kids in an enviornment where diversity is fully accepted and even somewhat appreciated. Is Austin the place for us?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.
Yes, There is diversity. austinites are from southern california AND northern california.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin