Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM

76 posts, read 175,175 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at houses in Steiner ranch area but wanted to know how to find actual house price. For the new homes, the builder has asking price but as I understand it the actual price may be quite lower compared to the asking price. I have been going to Travis county website, looking for appraisals. But I am not sure if this is the way to get the actual baseline price (price/square feet) within a community. I am hoping that based on this information, I can establish house price for new home. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM

3,076 posts, read 3,262,375 times
There is no such thing as an "actual price" akin to an "dealers price" with cars. Sounds like you want to get some comps of other homes sold in that area. In that case you should contact a realtor, they'd be happy to run some for you to get a better feel for how the asking price fits in with recent home sales. Remember that lots of things factor into the price, you can have two identical floor plans but radically different prices depending on finish out (e.g. one place has carpet the other one wood flooring, one has laminate counters the other granite, etc, etc).

Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Texas is a non-disclosure state so you're not going to find what you're looking for unless you contact someone holding the information like a Realtor with access to the MLS... but even that only gets you so far because many of the builder homes are not listed in the MLS.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM

308 posts, read 1,467,908 times
now I know the reason why I couldn't find the sold price from websites like redfin. It is very inconvenient. When you want to get a comps from a realtor, make sure you sit with her/him and they don't insert any fishy criteria to make the comps list look nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Texas is a non-disclosure state so you're not going to find what you're looking for unless you contact someone holding the information like a Realtor with access to the MLS... but even that only gets you so far because many of the builder homes are not listed in the MLS.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,387 times
Do what I do, get to know the new owner. Say things like, "I love your new house. I'm just not sure I could afford one."

My kids also went to school in the zone I was looking so I usually knew someone who lived either next door or a few doors down who could ask those questions.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM

With current house and my other friend's house the appraisal value from Travis county has been higher then what I paid for. So is it not safe to say that the house price in the community should not be higher then its appraisals. The appraisal site gives a lot of good detailed information about the house - nbed rooms, square foot, Land price etc. It also shows land price of the new home of interest.

I understand that every house is different but it seems that these days flooring and Granite countertop may have lot of commonalty among various houses in the community. Usually they have carpet in all bedrooms and upstairs rest ifs tile or wood.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
now I know the reason why I couldn't find the sold price from websites like redfin. It is very inconvenient. When you want to get a comps from a realtor, make sure you sit with her/him and they don't insert any fishy criteria to make the comps list look nice.

sales detail is not a public record to my knowledge -- if buying, why do you believe a buyer's agent would want to lie or mislead a client?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 PM

3,076 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0109 View Post
With current house and my other friend's house the appraisal value from Travis county has been higher then what I paid for. So is it not safe to say that the house price in the community should not be higher then its appraisals. The appraisal site gives a lot of good detailed information about the house - nbed rooms, square foot, Land price etc. It also shows land price of the new home of interest.

I understand that every house is different but it seems that these days flooring and Granite countertop may have lot of commonalty among various houses in the community. Usually they have carpet in all bedrooms and upstairs rest ifs tile or wood.
True, that's why the tax appraisal is not a good reference to go by. Like I said, the only reliable way to get good meaningful information is through a realtor (or an appraiser).

Old 06-23-2010, 02:10 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
True, that's why the tax appraisal is not a good reference to go by. Like I said, the only reliable way to get good meaningful information is through a realtor (or an appraiser).
Exactly. The appraisal just says how much the taxman thinks he can take from you. I have seen this happen with the 2010 appraisals...neighborhoods sell for $100/sf avg, but received an avg appraisal of $90/sf. I have seen the opposite happen: neighborhoods that sell for $85-90/sf, but appraise at $100-110/sf. This leads me to believe that TravisCAD doesn't look for sales information when assigning tax burden.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM

The thing is that the builder's "bottom line" pricing is higher then majority of the appriasals in the community. The houses are comparable in size to the new house if interest. So does it not mean that the "bottom line" price should be atelast lower then comparables apprasals in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: