U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,158 times

Advertisements

Are there any affordable rentals in downtown Austin? We would need a 3 bedroom for no more then 1350 a month. We are thinking of renting our first year just to get familiar with all the surrounding areas and thought starting in downtown would be fun and close to everything!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM

20,790 posts, read 39,688,484 times
Taking a quick look at the MLS to confirm my gut feeling, that $1350 is pretty much going to price you out of downtown for a 3 bedroom. I'm assuming you're looking for an apartment, though I looked at all the possibilities. You might look just south of the river, or further north in Allandale/Brentwood/Crestview areas, or the Northwest Hills area (some condos over there in your price range).

Of course, it's entirely possible that there are apartments not on the MLS that would work out for you, but I'm thinking not, right downtown, in a 3 bedroom.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,063,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3peanuts View Post
Are there any affordable rentals in downtown Austin? We would need a 3 bedroom for no more then 1350 a month. We are thinking of renting our first year just to get familiar with all the surrounding areas and thought starting in downtown would be fun and close to everything!
$1,350 is the price you'd pay for a 1 bedroom in Downtown Austin. You'll need to look at areas outside of Downtown if you want a 3 bedroom place in your budget. Do some research on Craig's List and the MLS to find places in your price range.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 AM

16,772 posts, read 43,257,229 times
You can probably rent a 3 bedroom house in many good parts of Austin for less then that, but it won't be downtown.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 AM

3,023 posts, read 3,048,706 times
The Downtown Area is the only good part of Austin.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM

16,772 posts, read 43,257,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
That is so totally untrue it is absurd. There are great neighborhoods all over Austin. And downtown is one of them. I can understand the attraction of living downtown, it would be a fun lifestyle. It would cost more but you would not need to commute much if you worked at jobs downtown.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM

11,712 posts, read 11,465,111 times
Quote:
DEFINITELY NOT. You must be smokin' somethin'.

OP: 1350 isn't going to get you a 3 bedroom in d/t. Though to be quite honest, d/t is not my cup of tea when it comes to having a family. Ok, so there's bars and clubs, and some quirky festival every now and then, but it's crowded urban living. Folks will probably disagree w/ me, but you can't be completely car-free with the little ones. With a budget like yours, you'd probably want to shop at stores outside of the high-priced offerings of d/t. I'd recommend maybe trying for a home rental in south or maybe north, a little farther out from d/t.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Austin has a sprawl problem.
Hate to be the first one to break that to you but it's fairly well known to anyone who doesn't live in Austin
...or lives in Austin and is conscious of 'sprawl'.

Sadly, I live in North Austin (or as I like to call it Southern Oklahoma) and I can honestly say that I might as well be living in the outskirts of San Antonio or Houston or Dallas. There is absolutely zero difference. Remember that ol' real estate maxim, "location, location, location?"

Well sprawl is sprawl is sprawl.
Anytown, USA is... predictably enough... the same all over the country.
Except here you're paying for the priviledge of living in Trendy ATX!
Whoop Dee Doooooooooooo!

Takes all kinds though. Obviously, what I post is just my singular opinion.
Worth what you paid for it I guess.

Some people love strip malls and wal-mart, too!
More power to them.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:12 PM

11,712 posts, read 11,465,111 times
Quote:
Austin has a sprawl problem.
Hate to be the first one to break that to you but it's fairly well known to anyone who doesn't live in Austin
...or lives in Austin and is conscious of 'sprawl'.

Sadly, I live in North Austin (or as I like to call it Southern Oklahoma) and I can honestly say that I might as well be living in the outskirts of San Antonio or Houston or Dallas. There is absolutely zero difference. Remember that ol' real estate maxim, "location, location, location?"

Well sprawl is sprawl is sprawl.
Anytown, USA is... predictably enough... the same all over the country.
Except here you're paying for the priviledge of living in Trendy ATX!
Whoop Dee Doooooooooooo!

Takes all kinds though. Obviously, what I post is just my singular opinion.
Worth what you paid for it I guess.

Some people love strip malls and wal-mart, too!
More power to them.
Gotcha. Hey, I came from super dense New York City. Now, I hate having people all over me, everywhere. Absolutely hate it. I guess that's why I appreciate sprawl, because a good portion of my life was spent in a metropolis that was skyscrapers, asphalt, hustle, bustle. In my borough alone there were over 1 million people. 1 million people crammed into tiny apartments. If you wanted to live in any way suburban, you'd have to pay through the nose. That's why I really do like strip malls, Wal-Marts, and all the other anytown usa type things because I didn't have them growing up. While I do appreciate the urban atmosphere that is NY, I would much rather just get into my car and travel back to Sprawlsville Suburb now. That's kind of how I feel about d/t...only I don't go to d/t or Austin all that much. One of the great things I like about Austin and its suburbs is that people don't live on top of each other

Old 06-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I've heard that line of reasoning before.

It's certainly your choice.
You definitely fit into the Texas Triangle Mega-Region Mentality.

[UTSOA] center for sustainable development : Texas Triangle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megareg..._United_States
(Thanks S.D. Calif!)

Of course when peak oil begins showing it's face
and gas prices begin going through the roof (um, if the US government ever stops subsidizing oil)
density and walkability may gain more importance in your life. Maybe not. Who knows.

I recently saw someone in N. Austin with a 'Global Warming is Bull*****" bumpersticker on their big ol' honkin' truck so...
Moderator cut: off-topic/persona

Last edited by Bo; 06-28-2010 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: DOH! I just HAD to add that one last thing...didnt I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or