U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 PM

563 posts, read 1,650,054 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Austin for the first time in about 12 years. I didn't get to spend much time there, but I was surprised to find that people didn't seem very friendly. And there was just some sort of "off" vibe that I got, like a standoff-ish kind of vibe.

I live in Dallas and I'm used to people being really nice, just everywhere you go. Was this just bad luck? I went to Barton Springs and 6th Street. I didn't have much time to explore further. I'd like to go back soon because I have long thought of relocating there (I LOVE the nature and that is really the only thing I dislike about living in Dallas - the lack of access to nature), but it was disappointing to get a feeling of non-niceness while being in the city. I hope perhaps I am mistaken...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 PM

611 posts, read 2,160,934 times
6th street = "cool" losers paying way too much to have drinks spilled on them and then get in a fight about it

Barton Springs may have just been crowded and people were trying to just get in the water, watch so their kids don't drown, or angry because "their" Austin is now so crowded

overall Austin is very cliquish though between college students, whale savers, and people that can't possibly accept or socialize with anyone that does not 100% support, believe in, AND advocate for what ever their stupid cause is all day every day

the best friends I made in Austin were through employment

A. because they were normal people with normal jobs VS some "advocate" with some "job" that allows them the "freedom" to "fight for their cause" and

B. because you actually dealt with people in an area they could not spout off about their cause even if they wanted to....or if they did it was to an almost acceptable level

many people in Austin are "hard core".......they mountain bike 24 X 7 when not working......or they never take off the black makeup and black clothing, or they are ALWAYS at "the place to be" or they live under water scuba diving 24 X 7 and would work under water if they could, or they climb every cliff face, crawl in every cave, and count every bat that exist, or play disk golf every day all day

you have to weed out these fools and meet normal people and Austin can really kick ass....if it was not so crowded

Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 PM

20,963 posts, read 43,117,409 times
Well, 6th Street is not a good introduction to Austin; sort of like going to a carnival and thinking it's representative of whatever city it happens to be in.

As for Barton Springs, I don't know what to tell you.

What exactly are you talking about? I'm used to having people comment on (and in some cases complain about) how friendly everyone is and how even the checkout person at the grocery store will engage them in conversation, everyone is helpful (usually people not from Texas who aren't used to this; obviously in Dallas you would be). Was there some particular incident?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What exactly are you talking about? I'm used to having people comment on (and in some cases complain about) how friendly everyone is and how even the checkout person at the grocery store will engage them in conversation, everyone is helpful (usually people not from Texas who aren't used to this; obviously in Dallas you would be). Was there some particular incident?
Yeah I think that's sort of what I was feeling...like I don't know, let's say Barton Springs. It wasn't particularly crowded that day, but there were people spread out around on the grass. And I guess I'm used to people just talking to one another, like we seem to do here in Dallas, but nobody talked to my friend and I. And when we walked down 6th street and around downtown, people sort of kept to themselves. But yeah, maybe I'm just getting a wrong impression. I really didn't get to see too much of the city. It definitely is a WEIRD place though lol! Everything about it, on paper, would be perfect for me. But I'm not sure the weirdness is up my ally.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Did you talk to them? (The people lying on the grass at Barton Springs.)

Old 07-05-2010, 09:54 PM

611 posts, read 2,160,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Yeah I think that's sort of what I was feeling...like I don't know, let's say Barton Springs. It wasn't particularly crowded that day, but there were people spread out around on the grass. And I guess I'm used to people just talking to one another, like we seem to do here in Dallas, but nobody talked to my friend and I. And when we walked down 6th street and around downtown, people sort of kept to themselves. But yeah, maybe I'm just getting a wrong impression. I really didn't get to see too much of the city. It definitely is a WEIRD place though lol! Everything about it, on paper, would be perfect for me. But I'm not sure the weirdness is up my ally.
6th street they were too drunk or stupid to have a conversation...in one of the clubs on 4th you would have made many friends

Barton Springs is not the "pickup" place

now if you were playing disk golf, flying a kite in Zilker, or at city park on Lake Austin and forgot your weed (I believe you can get a ticket in Austin for forgetting your weed at any of these places) you would have been 100% able to strike up a conversation with the people toking out around you and gotten a hit if you so desired...and probably hit on as well

as for the weirdness......it is out in the open, but below the surface it can fade a bit.....you just can't have everyone being weird or it is not exactly weird now is it.....and being locked up at home and being weird......just makes you a crazy loner in a thong and high heals.....not really "weird" either...kind of boring actually

Old 07-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Did you talk to them? (The people lying on the grass at Barton Springs.)
Well you know how when people don't want to socialize, they will give out vibes and make it such that it is difficult? I do this all the time with men I don't want to talk to lol! Now there were a couple of nice people that I talked to, but over all people seemed to keep to themselves. Anyway it's just a minor detail...I was just wondering how people in general are in the city. I don't want to make a judgment based on a couple of experiences.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM

845 posts, read 1,919,457 times
I've lived here 10 years and feel this exact same experience all the time. It's not your imagination.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I've lived here 10 years and feel this exact same experience all the time. It's not your imagination.
Hmm...interesting. Ok. Good to know! Guess that won't be my next stop on the relocation train

Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 AM

I think you need to visit again and get around the city a bit more rather than relying on one visit where, basically, you hit the tourist traps that this time of year are more likely to have people not from here than locals and crowds, to boot. Unless, of course, "weird" truly isn't for you, and it's not for everyone, I grant you.

As I said, I've heard more people new to Austin and Texas talk about how very friendly everyone here is rather than the opposite - sometimes, if they're from a place where that isn't the norm, they wonder what people are up to! So your experience, and that of kiacook, aren't reflective of the city as a whole, in my experience and based on what I've heard others say.

Your mileage clearly may vary, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin