Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,313,455 times

Advertisements

The humidity here in Central Texas has been even worse with all the rain we've gotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,775,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
In one word: Schwetty!
And mosquitoey! Interestingly, I didn't get a wavy red line under that word.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 PM

412 posts, read 541,666 times
It's bad, but I've been to most places in the South and their's are bad, too.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:58 AM

52 posts, read 50,972 times
For the long timers, which would you prefer? A little cooler but humid like this summer thus far? Or hotter and dryer? This is my first summer down here and I honestly don't think it's been bad.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,777,798 times
I prefer dry heat, but I liken this summer to medicine that needs to be taken every 5 years to refill the lakes. This summer has been like Louisiana and that's one of the reasons I left. I just couldn't take the humidity and daily rain.

My ideal climate is Mediterranean like California. Bone dry in the summer and mild and rainy in the winter. The winter rain refills the reservoirs and prevents desert like conditions, but the summer is nice and dry for enjoying summertime activities like swimming.

Our climate is not predictable at all and goes in spurts, so you take the rain you can get. Rest assured, the drought will return when El Nino stops and dry weather will be the norm again.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHolt View Post
For the long timers, which would you prefer? A little cooler but humid like this summer thus far? Or hotter and dryer? This is my first summer down here and I honestly don't think it's been bad.
This summer has been reminiscent of growing up in central South Carolina and then spending over two decades in Atlanta...except 'summer' has just begun. This spring was unlike any I've ever seen...yuck!!! IF I could bargain for the weather, I'd go a few degrees warmer in exchange for significantly less humidity...unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

We were here for five record-setting years of drought, heat, lack of humidity, LONG stretches of 100 degree days, etc. These past two years have been a cake walk by comparison. Imagine 90% of the 'grass' you see out there being golden brown from May 'til October because of the heat/drought, then imagine it brown during the dormant season. Austin is incredibly green this year!...and lush! I've seen newer trees grow more this year than they had in the past six!

DW is from Mississippi, so she and I are very familiar with this Houston-style weather...just hadn't seen it in a while!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,358,976 times
This is my first Texas summer and.. so far no 100 degree days yet. There are mosquitoes though, I'm itchy as hell! Enjoying the summer so far, hasn't been brutal. TX weather is better than FL weather though. At least in September and October I'll start seeing cooler nights in the 60s and 50s. We don't get that until December, maybe November when lucky, back home.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:44 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,289 times
It is not as uncomfortable here as I thought it would be.
I moved here about 5 years ago.

Unless you have to be outside a lot, or do not plan on paying for Air Conditioning, it is fine.

It baffles me that water parks around here close in winter. Winter would be an awesome time to visit these.

Winter here reminds me of summer at the Oregon Coast, including the winds but minus the Ocean.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,200,616 times
I've been here about 4 years from Western New York.

Here is what I say.

So long as your job doesn't have you nailing shingles on a roof in the summer, or doing landscaping you will be fine.

I'm lucky to have a job that gets me in the air conditioning for most of the day, and have AC in the car and my own home.

You just need to take breaks being outside, and get cooled off and drink plenty of water.

I cut the grass when it is 100 degrees out every week, and I'm fine.

As for the comment about pools in winter, it really is not warm enough in Central Texas to do it.

We get freezes pretty regularly, and 70 degrees is not pool weather for a Texan not even close.

My blood has thinned out so much that I won't even go visit New York anytime after Thanksgiving, and I sure as heck will not get in a swimming pool unless it is 90 degrees outside or hotter.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
Default Hotter'n Hell in Texas

You ever wonder where that phrase came from? Yeah, you know it's really hot when the Devil packs up his red Cadillac and heads North, sayin' "I don't know how you stand it here. It really hot here, why it's Hotter'n Hell!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin