Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 11,028 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I love Austin. I'm originally from Northern Virginia and we now live in another Texas city that I hate (which shall remain nameless).We are a mixed race couple, conservative catholics, and we are looking for a home in the 600-800 price range. We are thinking round rock/georgetown/Katy?

Things we would like to have around us:

Big Catholic parish close by that adheres to Catholic teachings

Mixed race couples around? We are all for racial integrity (think Northern VA if you've been there)

Safe neighborhood in our price range. View of large body of water would be a plus

Just as an FYI: I'm not trying to find another Northern Virginia here. But I want to be as close as one can get. Northern VA has a really unique situation: traditional families, racially liberal but in other areas socially conservative. I would like to find a city as close to that as possible.

We are also considering San Antonio...but we like the cultural aspects Austin has to offer.

Thanks! We LOVE your city!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
Is that "600-800" in hundreds for a lease or thousands for purchase?? If it's hundreds for a lease you'll have a tough time in Austin finding that price range for leases....

Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,402 times
Hello..just came across your post, even though it was posted a few months ago!

I have lived in Northern Virginia pretty much my entire life..and in a few different cities! I definitely would agree with your idea on how diverse and accepting NOVA is! It seems to be that the more expensive areas are the safest areas, which probably comes of no shock to you, but my family currently lives in a neighborhood with your price range and I've never felt mroe comfortable! I'd look at areas in Loudoun and Fairfax Counties. They're growing big time, and although the rush-hour traffic really sucks, there is just so much to do around here!

There are some nice areas in Sterling, Herndon, Centreville, and many more surrounding suburbs that seem they would suit you well!

Hope this helps a bit!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXnDOGS View Post

There are some nice areas in Sterling, Herndon, Centreville, and many more surrounding suburbs that seem they would suit you well!

Hope this helps a bit!
she's looking for a neighborhood in Austin, not NoVA. she said she used to live in NoVA and these were the aspects they liked here (I live in Reston currently and am relocating to Austin in a year or so, which is why I was interested in this post)

I am interested in the answers, although our price range will be lower than this (let's be honest, not being able to buy an actual house in a decent neighborhood for less than $500K is one of the biggest reasons we're outta this place!).

Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM

107 posts, read 285,402 times
I have lived in Katy, Texas and I am now living in Georgetown, Texas. There are benefits to living in both cities. As far as being mixed racially, I know that either place is accepting. There of course is always a bad seed where ever you live and I guess that is expected. Not just about race, but about anything! But on the whole, either place is fine as far as that goes. Katy is close to Houston and has many perks that I feel Georgetown has not moved that direction enough, but I am fine with that…Meaning that there are more things to do, places to see, shopping and restaurants in Katy and you don’t have to travel into Houston. When we moved there in 1996 Katy was a lot like how Georgetown is now. So I can feel the movement of people from the city relocating on the outskirts. There is good and bad that comes with that. I am not a Catholic, but there are many churches around to choose from. As far as price range, you can find in either place prices ranging from the lower 90s to over a million.

I wish you luck in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin