Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times

Advertisements

I'm doing research for a work project and I'd love to get Austin insider opinions about the best industries and career niches in Austin if your goal is to move to Austin and become employed quickly.

All feedback is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 29,556 times
Medical devices is growing quite a bit now, a few new large companies are moving and the device world is not as prone to the same economy risk as other industries....not to say it doesnt affect it, just not in the typical ways as tech for example. There are quite a few postings for this industry one of the bigger companies relocating here is hanger orthopaedics and they have commited to 100 or maybe even more as part of the benefit to move here.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosuniverse View Post
Medical devices is growing quite a bit now, a few new large companies are moving and the device world is not as prone to the same economy risk as other industries....not to say it doesnt affect it, just not in the typical ways as tech for example. There are quite a few postings for this industry one of the bigger companies relocating here is hanger orthopaedics and they have commited to 100 or maybe even more as part of the benefit to move here.
Thanks, kosuniverse!

Anyone else care to comment? If I get enough responses, I can write that I surveyed a local community forum. (not scientific, I know, but good enough for the project I am doing)

Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Restaurant/Hospitality is getting very big in Austin. With increasing tourism (due to festivals, UT games, potential F1, etc) and population with disposable income (according to this study, we spend the most of any city: Austin tops list of where people spend most on dining out), jobs seem to be quite plentiful in that industry at all levels.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Restaurant/Hospitality is getting very big in Austin. With increasing tourism (due to festivals, UT games, potential F1, etc) and population with disposable income (according to this study, we spend the most of any city: Austin tops list of where people spend most on dining out), jobs seem to be quite plentiful in that industry at all levels.
That's amazing. I lived in Austin for 10 years but I would never have predicted it was in the top 10 for spending on dining out, let alone #1. Very cool to know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin