Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a married 40 year old African American female who's seriously thinking about relocating to Austin with my husband and children (ages 7 & 9). I am currently a life coach (bachelor's degree in psychology with minor in substance abuse) and I would like to work in the mental health industry and would like to work while I get my Master's Degree in Counseling. My hubby is a radiology tech (x-ray tech). I am bi-lingual (Spanish) and I am wondering what the job market is for mental health/social services jobs for myself as well as the medical field for my hubby. My husband refuses to learn a lick of spanish, so I'm wondering if that will deter his ability to secure a job position?

What are the schools like in the North and NorthEast areas? The main reason for our move is that our schools (Shreveport, LA) basically suck and there's no real chance of growth for our children. I've visited Austin several times for seminars and conferences and I like the vibe of the city. I don't feel like an outkast (yes, that spelling is intentional) being an black bohemian chic with dredlocks who's all business by day, but moonlights as a reiki master & jazz vocalists on the weekends. LOL!

Anyway, aside by being taken by the beauty of the city, can someone please give me some real info on the cultural climate of the Austin, as far as racial relations, diversity, etc. Are there any local theater production companies, any theaters that show art & indy films. What does the city have to offer
other than it's amazing music scene. What are the best areas for families without spending a fortune on housing? Who are the major employers for social services/mental health field? I've checked the Austin chamber of commerce website, but I know that they only focus on certain attributes of the city & I'd rather hear things from actual residents with real experiences (good or bad).

Em Hotep (In peace)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
From a diversity standpoint, I think Austin does OK compared to a lot of other cities -- especially your typical "liberal meccas" like Portland. There has historically been a cultural divide, East (AA/Hispanic) vs. West (largely white). That's changing, slowly, and especially in the south central "trendy" neighborhoods, as far as I can tell. One other thing that diminishes Austin's diversity, however, is that we are relatively close to Houston -- which, by comparison, is a mecca of diversity. Truly one of the most diverse cities you will find in the US.

Historically, also, there has been an issue with the APD. The vast majority of lethal police shootings have involved a black or hispanic person getting killed. The relations between the APD and minority community have improved 10X since the new police chief, Art Acevedo, has been in office. However, he's shown interest in jobs in other cities... so we don't know how long he'll stick around.

I'm not familiar with the local theater companies, but I do know there are some. Also the art/indie film community is big here.. there are several places where such films/festivals can be seen. The various Alamo Draft houses, the Dobie Theater, the Arbor Cinema, and the Paramount Theatre.. to list a few.

Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help. You sound waaaay cooler than me, so you'll probably be able to find these things with no problem. Austin tends to embrace the individual, and reward those who explore things off the beaten path. It's eclectic and exciting without being so edgy that it loses it's Texas friendliness -- if that makes any sense. I'm sure you'll have a great time here, if you decide to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: