Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFeller View Post
Thanks, Jazz, but the adjusted/exempted amounts would change the appraised value and assessed taxes as shown on the MLS listing. The lowered appraised value multiplied by a constant rate would yield a lower tax amount assessed. I believe it would be unethical at best to quote a higher appraised value (no exemptions applied) and a lower assessed tax (based on applied exemptions).It is probably (I hope) due to erroneous MLS data. That's rather odd for it to be so far off, though. Maybe it's an Austin thing where "close enough" on a listing is acceptable. Not so in DFW, where you either quote the exact figures or quote nothing at all. No idea if that's law or just the expected custom, but it's probably why I stumbled when I noted the differences.I take it, then, the answer to my question is, "No, tax rates don't vary within a municipality."Richard
Appraised values do not reflect exemptions such as over 65 or even homestead... if you look up the info in something like traviscad.org, you will see a different applied "appraised" amount under each taxing entity -- which reflects the amount of the exemption of each entity (ISD, county, etc.) So if you calculate the rate from just the primary appraised value, you will get different results. All over the map, actually. MLS data is usually just the net assessed taxes for a particular property from the prior year -- not the actual assessment of the property value (you'd have to get that by going directly to the CAD for the property.) If web sites post the appraised amount or tax rate, it's likely from a different source than the listing agent.

So it's probably not erroneous MLS data, it's just that MLS only lists one data point. Not always sufficient to determine what a new owner might pay.

And the answer to your last question... yes, tax rates can vary within a municipality -- Travis County, for example, is a municipality. Yet different ISDs or MUDs/cities/ESDs within the county vary, therefore making the overall tax rate different for different addresses within the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFeller View Post
4 examples in my recent-but-brief searches for possible home rentals when I move to Austin:

2009 Tax Amount Paid / 2009 Appraised Value = Calculated Tax Rate:

2178 / 114K = 1.91%
2610 / 114K = 2.29%
2986 / 130K = 2.29%
3203 / 138K = 2.32%

The above are all taken from active, online real estate MLS listings ...
Richard
You're over-examining the issue and using unreliable data sources. The tax rates are not variable within the same areas unless the school boundary, city boundary and/or county boundary run through the subdivision. An example of this is Star Ranch in Pflugerville.

Each individual homes has a rate that is determinable by accessing the county websites and adding up the various taxing authority amounts. Rates do get reset in October in all Counties (or they can remain unchanged). In most cases, 99.9% of the time, the tax rate on any given home is the exact same rate as the neighboring homes. Not sure what issue you're chasing here or how it affects whatever end you seek in a home search.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin