Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:26 AM

15 posts, read 34,827 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me about the Belterra subdivision? I've read mixed things, and trying to figure out if we should consider looking there. How long is the commute from Belterra to intersection of I35 and 71 hwy? Big consideration for hubby. Also, are the utility and propane "scandals" really true and still happening? We can't afford extremely high utilities on top of the high property taxes. How are the schools there? It's seems like a neat place for a family to live. We have two kids, ages 7 & 4.

I'd appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:28 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,971,261 times
All I can speak to is electric - is it Pedernales Electric? If so, they're cheap. We have a large, open one-story house with lots of west-facing windows and high ceilings, and last summer even with the hot drought, our bill never surpassed $200.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 PM

326 posts, read 821,457 times
don't know about your commute or the utility scandals...

i'm not a fan of planned communities so belterra is not my cup of tea, but if that's cool with you, belterra could be a great choice. it's affordable, in a beautiful area with excellent schools and very family-friendly. it's in dripping springs, which is a small town but growing and increasingly desirable.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 PM

147 posts, read 570,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgirl72 View Post
Can you tell me about the Belterra subdivision? I've read mixed things, and trying to figure out if we should consider looking there. How long is the commute from Belterra to intersection of I35 and 71 hwy? Big consideration for hubby. Also, are the utility and propane "scandals" really true and still happening? We can't afford extremely high utilities on top of the high property taxes. How are the schools there? It's seems like a neat place for a family to live. We have two kids, ages 7 & 4.

I'd appreciate any input.
We live in Belterra. The drive time between Belterra and I-35 depends on what time of day it is. If it's not during rush hours you can do it in about 25 minutes. The slow point would be the Y in Oak Hill. There are ways around the Y.

The propane can be expensive. If it's a really cold month, we would expect to pay a couple of hundred dollars. That's for a 2700 sqft house. During the summer the gas bill is around $40 or so.

The schools are great. Your kids would go to Rooster Springs which is right in Belterra.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,990,830 times
Taxes are something to take into consideration as well. I ran the numbers on the Belterra tax rate. I took a random property right off of Belterra Dr. and the tax rate was 2.9296% That translates to $7324 each year in taxes for a 250K house.

Enter the address of a property you are looking at, and take note of the "entity codes" that apply:

http://www.hayscad.com/Appraisal/Pub...rID=&NodeID=11

Then cross-check with the list of rates for those "entity codes":

http://tax.co.hays.tx.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=e39GZIk2pmI%3d&tabid=36& mid=377

I am mentioning this because I know of a couple that ended up moving out near Hamilton Pool road into a 300K house because they ran the numbers and found out they couldn't afford a 240K house in Belterra after they factored in the taxes and HOA fees.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes, the taxes and fees concern me. Property taxes increase your monthly mortgage payment really quickly! If we have to add high propane bills on top of that, we could be paying much more than we expected. This is why I am trying to do my homework before we even consider it.

I'm not sure what my opinion is on planned communities. Never lived in one. Some things seem appealing, especially the community aspect. Others, like heavy handed HOAs & expensive fees don't seem so appealing.

Dog, what do you not like about planned communities? It seems nice to have a built in social network to plug into where the kids go to school together and families gather for events. The small town girl in me is showing. What are the negatives of these types of communities?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your input, Longtime. You said the commute is 25 mins not during rush hour. Do you know what it is during rush hour. Hubby drove it when he visited down there and said there are alot of lights, and he thinks the commute may be bad during rush hour. Glad to hear you like living there. It sounds like a nice place.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 PM

326 posts, read 821,457 times
Quote:

Dog, what do you not like about planned communities? It seems nice to have a built in social network to plug into where the kids go to school together and families gather for events. The small town girl in me is showing. What are the negatives of these types of communities?
suppose the flipside of the social network is the potential oppressiveness of it. but to each his own. practically speaking, the homes tend to be pretty close together with small yards and there isn't much variety on the types of houses you can get. this is not necessarily a belterra issue, btw.

good luck.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM

147 posts, read 570,605 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input, Longtime. You said the commute is 25 mins not during rush hour. Do you know what it is during rush hour. Hubby drove it when he visited down there and said there are alot of lights, and he thinks the commute may be bad during rush hour. Glad to hear you like living there. It sounds like a nice place.
Once you get through the Y there are no lights almost all the way to the airport. There are maybe 8 or 9 lights between Belterra and where the nice part of 71 picks up after Oak Hill. During rush hour I'd leave myself maybe 40 or 45 minutes.

That whole area at the Y will eventually be a toll road. The lights will be gone and you could probably knock off 10 minutes off your drive time.

What kind of commute time is he looking for? I would be concerned about my commute if I lived South and worked north and was driving during rush hours. Living in Belterra and working South should not be a problem.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:09 AM

389 posts, read 1,567,284 times
Default not ant time soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeAustinite View Post

That whole area at the Y will eventually be a toll road. The lights will be gone and you could probably knock off 10 minutes off your drive time.

They have been sayin that for over 10 years now, I would now move somewhere banking on that to happen...

The negative side of the planned communities can be easill found by doing a search here on "HOA's" ---Its so hotly debated here the moderator had to ban discussing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin