Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,099 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Back in California, we never had freezing temperatures - so I admit I'm woefully uninformed when it comes to prepping for weather in the 20s. How much should I worry about freezing pipes (Taylor Morrison home in Steiner Ranch)? What prevention techniques should I be thinking about? Is the attic the main area to worry about? Any advice for a cold-weather dummy is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Think PPP
Pets..bring indoors overnight
Plants..cover with a beach towel or blanket or bring indoors
Pipes:
Cover the outside spigots if you haven't already.
If there's none left in the stores then use some kitchen towels and wrap them and tie so they don't come unraveled.
For north facing rooms with water..leave the cabinet under the sink open..warmer air from house will circulate there.

We're lucky here in that it's usually just overnight that the temps dip low but not like "up north low".

I've never done anything about the attic..it's always about "the water pipes"

Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 AM

473 posts, read 1,328,099 times
Is covering outdoor spigots done as an alternative to letting them drip, or in addition to letting them drip?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
alternative

Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
Is covering outdoor spigots done as an alternative to letting them drip, or in addition to letting them drip?
If you cover, you don't drip

The big box stores sell covers although I don't know if they have any left.
Usually sometime after Thanksgiving I just put the covers on my 3 outside spigots (habit I formed..get the xmas stuff out of the garage and cover the spigots). When I need to use them I just remove the cover and attach the hose and then cover them back up again when I'm done.

HD had plenty of them right after Thanksgiving..some nice hard plastic covered styrofoam ones and some cheapo styrofoam only ones for like $.99 each.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Think PPP
Pets..bring indoors overnight
Plants..cover with a beach towel or blanket or bring indoors
Pipes:
Cover the outside spigots if you haven't already.
If there's none left in the stores then use some kitchen towels and wrap them and tie so they don't come unraveled.
For north facing rooms with water..leave the cabinet under the sink open..warmer air from house will circulate there.

We're lucky here in that it's usually just overnight that the temps dip low but not like "up north low".

I've never done anything about the attic..it's always about "the water pipes"
That just about covers it all.

I have a hose bib in an unheated garage wall that has froze up on occasion, so I will sometimes run a small electric space heater near that location to help keep those pipes from freezing.

Same is true if you have a lot of water pipes in a bathroom that are on an exterior wall. We had one of our bathroom sink waterlines freeze up once, fortunately it did not break. I keep the cabinet doors open now and I have put a electric space heater near there if we get an extended freeze.

We have uninsulated water pipes in the attic but the heat lost from the house tends to do a good job keeping that area above freezing. You can always run the temperature in the house a little higher then normal, the heat lost from the interior will help keep the temperatures in the exterior walls warmer.

I'm not convinced that those little styrofoam hose bib covers do much good. They have less then 1/2 of insulation. So I always wrap my hosebibs with at least 1 bath towel and tie a plastic bag over it. That gives it several inches of insulation.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

I'm not convinced that those little styrofoam hose bib covers do much good. They have less then 1/2 of insulation. So I always wrap my hosebibs with at least 1 bath towel and tie a plastic bag over it. That gives it several inches of insulation.
Yeah..I stuff a washcloth inside the one on the north side of my house.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Ha ha ha,

Lowes on Brodie Lane still has a few nice oil filled electric radiator space heaters on sale for around $46 each. They are very safe. I just bought another after seeing how well it heated the unheated sunroom where I keep my parrots.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That just about covers it all.

I have a hose bib in an unheated garage wall that has froze up on occasion, so I will sometimes run a small electric space heater near that location to help keep those pipes from freezing.

Same is true if you have a lot of water pipes in a bathroom that are on an exterior wall. We had one of our bathroom sink waterlines freeze up once, fortunately it did not break. I keep the cabinet doors open now and I have put a electric space heater near there if we get an extended freeze.

We have uninsulated water pipes in the attic but the heat lost from the house tends to do a good job keeping that area above freezing. You can always run the temperature in the house a little higher then normal, the heat lost from the interior will help keep the temperatures in the exterior walls warmer.

Thanks for the tip on opening the cabinets. I had forgotten about that. We have several bathroom pipes that are in the outside walls.

We usually drip our spigots outside and let one of the bathroom faucets drip as well and we've been lucky. We live on pier and beam so the pipes, even though wrapped with insulation are exposed. It's probably time to replace that insulation come to think of it.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Thanks for the tip on opening the cabinets. I had forgotten about that. We have several bathroom pipes that are in the outside walls.

We usually drip our spigots outside and let one of the bathroom faucets drip as well and we've been lucky. We live on pier and beam so the pipes, even though wrapped with insulation are exposed. It's probably time to replace that insulation come to think of it.
The insulation should not need replacing unless it gets wet. You might want to consider installing a "freeze tape" on them, it is an electric heating tape or wire, that can be found with a thermostate built in so it turns it self on when temperatures drop into the freezing range and keeps the pipes warm. It is strapped along the pipe below the insulation, so it keeps them above freezing when temperatures drop around them.

Letting faucets drip in freeze prone areas of the house, WILL help prevent the from freezing up. The average temperature of water in the water main several feet below ground is around 68 degrees, far above freezing. So a slow flow thru the pipes will help keep them from freezing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin