Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 AM

202 posts, read 228,127 times

Advertisements

We plan on moving to Texas in the near future and Austin seems to be the place everyone is talking about. If you are familiar with the Raleigh NC, how does it compare?

What are the pros and cons in your mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,785,542 times
Pretty dang similar, overall. Except in Austin you can see more than 40 off to the side of the road, because there aren't the tall trees. The diversity in Austin is different, of course. Less of a winter in Austin, less to drive to nearby... but nicer people (IMO), more modern, and faster paced.

That's just my take as a visitor, never actually lived in NC, but have in-laws there from Raleigh to Wilmington.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,441,886 times
Some similar traffic bottlenecks, depending on the part of town...think I40/85 BEFORE the by-pass...that would be IH35...lots of people passing through.(Austin has a by-pass...just underutilized, so far) What Raleigh has for 'too cold' in the winter, Austin has 'too hot' in the summer.

Tougher time getting to the beach from Austin, if that's important to you. Somewhat similar in population if you consider the entire Triangle vs 'metro' Austin. State government and large university population in common; although not as many large 'rival' universities so close together in Austin.

More bicycles in Austin, fewer tennis courts. Interesting similarity in 'drawl'; although you don't hear 'r-i-ght n-i-ce' in Austin, you might recognize some similar vocal inflections, native to native.

A half-hour drive can get you WAY out of Austin, similar to Raleigh; although, Austin has more cities immediately surrounding.

BTW, that 100 degrees you're(Raleigh) having today(feels like 110+)...welcome to Austin! OK, OK...it's NOT as hot in Austin this summer as the last two, I know.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:01 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,159,463 times
our first choice city was actually raleigh (I went to Wake and have friends in the area), but then my parents said they would relocate with us, so we are going to austin so we can have all grandparents closer for our kids.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,836,948 times
It used to be Raleigh's sister city - not sure if it still is? It was based on it being the capitol, the university (s), and at one time they had similar population #'s unsure if that's still the case.

While I've only been there a couple of times I'd say it's like combining Carrboro, Durham and Raleigh, as the folks are an ecclectic mix of personalities. I found the folks in the business and education fields to be similar to Raleigh, maybe more like Raleigh used to be...that Southern y'all attitude.

The humidity is as you'd expect, higher. Even at 70f it felt stuffy. Raleigh's downtown seems to have more new construction or reno's and sparkles more.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 AM

202 posts, read 228,127 times
Will a fiscal conservative/social moderate feel comfortable in Austin?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 PM

285 posts, read 565,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
It used to be Raleigh's sister city - not sure if it still is? It was based on it being the capitol, the university (s), and at one time they had similar population #'s unsure if that's still the case.

While I've only been there a couple of times I'd say it's like combining Carrboro, Durham and Raleigh, as the folks are an ecclectic mix of personalities. I found the folks in the business and education fields to be similar to Raleigh, maybe more like Raleigh used to be...that Southern y'all attitude.

The humidity is as you'd expect, higher. Even at 70f it felt stuffy. Raleigh's downtown seems to have more new construction or reno's and sparkles more.
They do have similar metropolitan area populations (both Raleigh-Durham CSA and Austin-San Marcos CSA are ~1.7 million), though Austin proper (780k) is considerably larger than Raleigh proper (405k). Austin definitely feels like the larger city--I was quite surprised, in fact, by just how much smaller downtown Raleigh felt relative to Austin when I visited in 2009. On that note, I didn't think the amount of new construction in downtown Raleigh was comparable to the, frankly, unprecedented high-rise construction boom in Austin, nor would I ever think downtown Raleigh "sparkles more."

Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
I was quite surprised, in fact, by just how much smaller downtown Raleigh felt relative to Austin when I visited in 2009. On that note, I didn't think the amount of new construction in downtown Raleigh was comparable to the, frankly, unprecedented high-rise construction boom in Austin, nor would I ever think downtown Raleigh "sparkles more."
Agree! I think d/twn Raleigh feels much smaller. Until recently, downtown Raleigh was rather scruffy. But they've spiffied it up by opening Fayetteville St from the Capitol to the new convention center. They added nice street lamps, and really dressed it up, it's especially nice to drive their at night with the lamps lit.
I didn't get to see the construction in Austin I was there in '07 and late 08...Nov(?) Has it been since then? I spent a lot of time walking near the Capitol which I was so impressed with...nice! down Congress Ave, 6th, Redrock? And went to Chez Nous and some other amazing restaurants. Austin also had the free downtown bus before Raleigh did. I think it's a nice thing to have for downtown workers and tourists.

I found it to be a very welcoming city, Southern hospitality and friendliness you'd expect.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:30 PM

425 posts, read 1,253,097 times
Quote:
Agree! Austin also had the free downtown bus before Raleigh did. I think it's a nice thing to have for downtown workers and tourists.

I found it to be a very welcoming city, Southern hospitality and friendliness you'd expect.
I really like Austin and the downtown Raleigh area really doesn't compare to Austin's downtown. Unfortunately the Armadillo, which was one or perhaps several free bus services, has been discontinued. It was a wonderful way to get around that part of Austin. Raleigh is nice, but Austin is very special and unique in its overall feel. People are friendly and it's just a nice community overall. Lots to see and do every day and night. Can you tell I really miss Austin?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,338,722 times
Quote:
I didn't get to see the construction in Austin I was there in '07 and late 08...Nov(?) Has it been since then?
...kind of crazy, but this is what Austin looks like today:

Lou Neff Point Sunset on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryhayesaustin/4707088324/ - broken link)

Austin Skyline June 2010 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryhayesaustin/4691882891/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-26-2010 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: fixed quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin