Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM

102 posts, read 301,930 times

Advertisements

Looks like they are finally going to disclose the location tomorrow morning at 10:00 am.

www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/f1-track-location-expected-this-week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
Looks like they are finally going to disclose the location tomorrow morning at 10:00 am.

www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/f1-track-location-expected-this-week
The announcement will have to be pretty good to quiet the skeptics. Thus far, the "announcements" regarding the event have appeared disorganized or haphazard. Perhaps they'll have some renderings, or at least schedule a groundbreaking and put up a big fancy sign.

The fact that it's a TV story, hopefully at least they will let the TV people get some visuals of the land, as they will be replayed/printed all over the web and other channels...

Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,099 times
I'd be more interested in the release of data that shows there is enough fan interest to host a race. Who wants to sit in the sun waiting for non-passing cars to zoom by? Say what you want about NASCAR, but at least you can see the whole track from your seat and the cars actually pass each other.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
Advance rumor has it that the site of the F1 racetrack may be a 2,000 acre parcel to the East or South of the Birds Nest Airport in far NE Austin (N of Manor, just to the east of SH 130) off Fuchs Grove Rd.

The City of Austin would work swiftly to annex the land as soon as the deal is finalized.

http://www.kvue.com/home/Formula-1-i...-99147404.html

The result of the land acquisition (and subsequent development) would be Austin sealing off the northern growth corridor of Manor as well as the southeastern growth corridor of Pfluegerville. Due to the future recently-approved far-East Austin developments running parallel S and heading to the E of Manor, (and the land governance rights of Austin's expanded ETJ border) the town of Manor would effectively become surrounded by the City of Austin, becoming the Sunset Valley of eastern Travis County.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 07-26-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM

I don't know, I recall in various articles mention of trees and some elevation change. That would describe the area east of Walter E. Long around the proposed Whispering Valley subdivision mentioned earlier better than the Bird's Nest airport area. Plus, that section is already being annexed by Austin -- it's on the 7/29 city council agenda. Of course, on that agenda there is whole plan for homes/parks/water, etc... you'd have to imagine all that would be tossed out the door (or at least changed significantly) if F1 goes there.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
KVUE's reporting indicated that perhaps the race track would lie due north of Manor, E of SH 130, perhaps along Fuchs Grove Rd (or even Gregg Manor Rd).

However, the Whispering Valley subdivision is located south and west of Manor, along FM 973 and SH 130.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:20 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
I'd be more interested in the release of data that shows there is enough fan interest to host a race.
Fans will come from around the world, and all over the US. It's an international event.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:35 PM

102 posts, read 301,930 times
I would think that the track would bring a lot of growth to whatever area along sh 130 it goes. Property values should rise in neighboring subdivisions because of the sudden influx of retail/commercial, not to mention the rental income potential. That could also drive the property values up. If it does happen around Manor, the school disctrict would likely get more money, thus improve, and with it's proximity to downtown Austin it could really make it a more desirable area.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Fans will come from around the world, and all over the US. It's an international event.
That sounds nice, but generally there is some corresponding data to back it up. F1 has tried and failed to gain a US foothold, and the Indy Car circuit struggles to sell out it's races. I personally doubt that the F1 teams will automatically take on the expense of a single race on another continent solely because a track was built for it. If there is some researched data that conflicts this viewpoint, fine, but I'd like to see it first.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
That sounds nice, but generally there is some corresponding data to back it up. F1 has tried and failed to gain a US foothold, and the Indy Car circuit struggles to sell out it's races. I personally doubt that the F1 teams will automatically take on the expense of a single race on another continent solely because a track was built for it. If there is some researched data that conflicts this viewpoint, fine, but I'd like to see it first.
Do F1 teams have an option to not show up for a race? Certainly not if they intend to win in any overall point standings. Plus, it is the US Grand Prix, not just any race.

I'd like to see whatever data the Texas government used to come up with their economic impact figures... and maybe we will when the FOIA documents get released, probably about 20 days now. But I suspect like any of these huge events, the methodology (expected crowds, hotel stays, spending habits of visitors, etc) will always be questionable.

Perhaps if they give it a live music theme, with a festival atmosphere, it will do alright. Austin does those kinds of things pretty well, and things like SXSW get a pretty good international draw. If they make it too exclusive or expensive to access (like an Olympics or something), it will likely fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin