U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM

15 posts, read 80,876 times

Advertisements

My husbands company want us to be in Austin. He will be working from a home office so commuting is not an issue. Have two kids going into middle school.

Everyone says SW Austin is great. Like the idea of being near Bee Cave but am hesitant about the property taxes.

Lakeway is beautiful and there are some great real estate deals, but how many people actually live there full time?

Shady Hollow looks very affordable and friendly. Any other suggestions with lower property taxes??
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM

648 posts, read 1,777,070 times
Budget? Lots of folks out in the burbs telecommute.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,834,770 times
SW Austin is a great place. It's close to everything. Property taxes in Austin are high everywhere, it really doesn't matter where you are. Some areas are slightly higher than others but most are 2.2 per $100.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM

13,719 posts, read 27,225,326 times
Why do you ask about how many people live in Lakeway full time?

The reputation of Lakeway as a vacation residence was earned more than three decades ago but hasn't been deserved for many years. It began changing in the mid-1980s as people in Austin (like me) decided it wasn't as crazy far as it seemed and it was great to live by the lake. I lived in Lakeway from 1986-1998 and still live in the Lake Travis area.

I think the vast majority of home owners in Lakeway are full time residents. An interesting mix of retired people and families - more and more families as time goes on.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 AM

13,853 posts, read 30,704,234 times
Taxes vary widely but are only one component of housing cost, so not sure how to weigh in the differences for you. The City of Austin taxes can actually be significantly lower than some of the surrounding cities, and in some cases comparable to county areas if they are in a high-tax rate school district. Services (water, elec., waste) TEND to be cheaper in Austin, as well.

That said, the lowest tax rates will in unincorporated areas in lower-tax rate school districts (areas around Wimberley come to mind). The highest taxes will be in some the Municiple Utility Districts (not sure if there are many, if any, SW).

Since taxes work with housing cost, a high tax rate in a low cost area might be better than a low tax rate in a high housing cost area (i.e. Westlake).

Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 AM

7,205 posts, read 19,263,093 times
As mentioned, Lakeway has become a full time city. It's no longer a "second home" place. It's people's primary residence. Bee Cave (where I live) has one of the lowest tax rates in the entire Austin area along with the awesome school district of Lake Travis, so I don't understand the comment above about going out to places like Wimberly for a lower tax rate. With homestead exemption, my tax rate is approx 1.8%. Lake Pointe is about the same, a little higher, and still Lake Travis schools.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,633,193 times
Our taxes are about 2.45 (City of Cedar Park, Williamson County, RRISD, and a bunch of other taxing authorities) so they aren't cheap. You can search the Travis and Williamson appraisal district websites for more information on property taxes: www.traviscad.org and www.wcad.org.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 AM

6,212 posts, read 16,172,721 times
Quote:
Everyone says SW Austin is great. Like the idea of being near Bee Cave but am hesitant about the property taxes.
The lowest property tax rates in the entire area are in Barton Creek West (1.79%), off Bee Cave Rd., with great Eanes Schools. Not as far as Lakeway. You really have to be careful in considering the distance from Lakeway. For some it's not an issue, but there are plenty of people who come to feel "disconnected" from Austin in areas like Lakeway and Steiner, and later decide to locate closer in. But Lakeway has good schools too and if you don't plan to come into Austin much, it might not matter.

Shady Hollow has traffic issues, which again may not matter if you are not daily commuters. But with two middle schoolers, I'd lean toward the Lake Travis or Eanes school systems if you can afford it.

Steve

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM

13,853 posts, read 30,704,234 times
Quote:
so I don't understand the comment above about going out to places like Wimberly for a lower tax rate.
As I said, taxes and property values go hand-in-hand to result in your taxes (okay, maybe I didn't say it quite that way ). Anyway, an equivalent house in the Wimberley area might have lower taxes (not rate) than the same house in Bee Caves. It might not, you would have to check, but Eanes ISD in particular has a low tax rate due to the extremely high tax base - the trick is to buy the cheap house in that district .

Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 37,972 times
Thanks for all of the input. We'll visiting in August and Oct. Of course, we want the best deal we can get. Like most around the country we are taking a big loss on our current home. That being said, would something around Lake Travis be our best investment rather than something in a Steiner Ranch, The Hills, etc. Please keep in mind that we have not been in these areas yet and still do not know much about them.

Again, we appreciate all the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin