Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
This post has all the catch phrases that seems to get a lot of views. Just curious on your thoughts.
Hmmm, believe it or not, in Austin, there is a SMALL community that support gays, the ones that try to get away from it run up North or to the West where they can afford the homes. As far as race....there will always be a racial stigma in Texas..afterall it is a Southern State, and personally, speaking as someone who is bi-racial, I just see tolerance, I don't see a lot of acceptance. The real liberals in Austin are the 'tree-huggers' and 'drug takers' or as they call it....the 'wierd' people. From what I have seen from the people in Austin, they just tolerate minorities...especially if they are black. I have noticed how the Austin people are polite, however, they are distant or emotionally detached from blacks....The hispanics have a large support system because its a lot of them...I notice how most of the hispanics are mostly friends with other hispanics. Trust me, the racism is there, they are just not blatant in your face with it.

Speaking as a researcher and philosopher, there are over 16% unemployed blacks compared to 8% unemployed whites in the entire U.S. these numbers speaks volumes as in that there is still discrimination going on. Most blacks are offered jobs that offer low pay or jobs that no one else wants to do.....darker-skinned hispanics as well are in the same spot as blacks. I have black friends in Austin (just a couple) that have found it hard just to get a waitressing job in Austin (SMH)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I think you mean the bigots run down to south and east Texas.

Dallas county is extremely gay friendly. The scene is huge and is very well integrated.

I agree the real liberals in Austin are "tree-lovers" and "drug takers."

I agree about the racism against blacks. However, Hispanics have it rough too. They are stratified and segregated too. The majority are of Mexican decent and non-English speaking. And there are many that are illegals too. They have it rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Hmmm, believe it or not, in Austin, there is a SMALL community that support gays, the ones that try to get away from it run up North or to the West where they can afford the homes. As far as race....there will always be a racial stigma in Texas..afterall it is a Southern State, and personally, speaking as someone who is bi-racial, I just see tolerance, I don't see a lot of acceptance. The real liberals in Austin are the 'tree-huggers' and 'drug takers' or as they call it....the 'wierd' people. From what I have seen from the people in Austin, they just tolerate minorities...especially if they are black. I have noticed how the Austin people are polite, however, they are distant or emotionally detached from blacks....The hispanics have a large support system because its a lot of them...I notice how most of the hispanics are mostly friends with other hispanics. Trust me, the racism is there, they are just not blatant in your face with it.

Speaking as a researcher and philosopher, there are over 16% unemployed blacks compared to 8% unemployed whites in the entire U.S. these numbers speaks volumes as in that there is still discrimination going on. Most blacks are offered jobs that offer low pay or jobs that no one else wants to do.....darker-skinned hispanics as well are in the same spot as blacks. I have black friends in Austin (just a couple) that have found it hard just to get a waitressing job in Austin (SMH)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin