U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 11,228 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Cedar Park, TX and wanted to know what is the job market for RN's around Cedar Park/Austin? Also, if anyone knows what is the average income for an RN with 3 years experience?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM

7,238 posts, read 20,475,235 times
I can't tell you about right now, but they're working on the new, HUGE Lakeway hospital and should be opened by 2012. That doesn't help you immediately, but in a couple of years, there will be a mad scramble to staff the hospital so keep an eye out for the information. It's right down 620 from Cedar Park, so not too far.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM

12,506 posts, read 25,553,193 times
From what I understand, RN's in Austin don't get paid as well as in other Texas cities.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,469,596 times
Definitely. High Pay=crummy location. You will make the most money in the valley. (Brownsville/Harlingen/McAllen). Any place that people really want to be (Austin, Houston, San Antonio), you don't make s***. That's just the way it is.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 AM

2,830 posts, read 5,060,353 times
Don't agree with the above statement as Houston has one of the higher wages. I've investigated several markets closely, including Austin and they are significantly lower than Houston. I am a bedside ICU RN with 20 years experience and live in East Texas and commute into Beaumont (50 miles) to work. Houston would start you off in the high $20's/hr or even low $30's/hr , Austin low to mid $20's/hr, Tyler low $20's/hr, Beaumont mid$20's/hr. Tyler area hospitals offered me about $7/hr less than my present salary and Austin about $3/hr less. Houston will pay $4-$5/hr more.

Not sure what the RGV is offering hourly but they have historically offered very large sign-on bonuses ... up to $40K for a 4 year commitment. I want to warn you that for whatever reason the nursing field is not near as wide open where I work or in the Houston market (which is the largest in the state). I suspect it is from hospitals gearing down for the coming healthcare mandates.

If you need more help just post it. Might want to check the Scott and White systems in the Waco / Killeen areas also ... maybe an RN from the area will post their scale(s) here. There used to be a very well versed RN from that area on these boards but I never see her anymore here.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,469,596 times
RGV pay rates are 40+/hr. Specialty areas 50-60+/hr, of course depending on the facility.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 11,228 times
What is RGV?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:10 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,408,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMARSH View Post
What is RGV?

The Rio Grande Valley which includes McAllen,Harlingen,Brownsville and South Padre Island

McAllen
McAllen CVB | McAllen, Texas

McAllen Chamber of Commerce

Harlingen
Harlingen TX City Guide - Rio Grande Valley, South Texas

Welcome to the Harlingen Area Chamber of Commerce

Brownsville
Brownsville Convention and Visitors Bureau (http://www.brownsville.org/bcvb/ - broken link)

Brownsville Chamber of Commerce

SPI
South Padre Island - Be Yourself

Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 PM

11,153 posts, read 24,315,195 times
RNs in the DFW area usually earn about $35 hourly for med/surg, and more for specialty units.

The other big reason Austin pays less is because it isn't home to any great hospital systems. Dallas and Houston have the big, prestigious, nationally-known systems. Austin just has local/regional hospitals. i.e., you don't hear of someone "going to Austin" for life-saving treatments, like you hear "going to MD Anderson in Houston" or "going to Baylor in Dallas." Therefore, there is less demand for RNs.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 PM

10,117 posts, read 18,461,576 times
Austin is also overloaded with qualified people, in every profession. People who move in or are already there will take less pay in exchange for the lifestyle, and employers know this.

DFW and Houston metros are where people go for their career; not so much for the cities themselves, even though they are nice and have many good qualities. Both metros are typically net importers for many skilled, qualified people -- which means they need higher salaries to attract them.

RGV is a different animal -- it's basically hazard pay there. It's neither a career advancing place nor a lifestyle place. I understand it's the most litigious place in Texas, and RNs are in more fear for their licenses practicing there. RGV (at least for nurses) would be a place to bank some cash in harsh circumstances, to use later for whatever purpose you need it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin