Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya;15756057Along with the city's [B
day labor center[/b], Austin's resolves to help with the living and working conditions of the undocumented who help keep this city running has remained consistent and resolute.

People that are here illegally run the city of Austin? Shouldn't the people that live here legally have first dibs on any jobs that keep the city of Austin running??

If the city is going to help with working conditions and living conditions shouldn't they address the needs of people the people that pay taxes first and are here legally? Or am I understanding this whole issue incorrectly?

The low unemployment numbers can't be taken seriously if the workers are not legally workers. In other words there isn't a way to really check and see what the real numbers are. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
This time it appears governor Perry is getting serious about it by trying to fast track legislation targeting "sanctuary cities":

Governor Perry targets sanctuary cities | kvue.com | KVUE News | Austin, TX | Breaking News

reiterating what was said earlier:
"Travis County leads the nation in ICE deportations," said Art Acevedo, Austin's Police Chief. "If that's a sanctuary city, then we're going to have to work on our definition."

Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
People that are here illegally run the city of Austin? Shouldn't the people that live here legally have first dibs on any jobs that keep the city of Austin running??

If the city is going to help with working conditions and living conditions shouldn't they address the needs of people the people that pay taxes first and are here legally? Or am I understanding this whole issue incorrectly?

The low unemployment numbers can't be taken seriously if the workers are not legally workers. In other words there isn't a way to really check and see what the real numbers are. True?
Why is it that people always try to bring up the issue of taxes in regards to illegals? If you are here undocumented you still pay gas, cigarette, sales, and property taxes (yes renters pay property taxes via their rent). If they do not pay income taxes that is also on the business owner (usually not an illegal but more along the lines of KB Homes, Centex, Holiday Inn, various maid service agencies, etc.) who never seems to get the blame.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
"Travis County leads the nation in ICE deportations," said Art Acevedo, Austin's Police Chief. "If that's a sanctuary city, then we're going to have to work on our definition."
That is interesting. Don't you just love it when the State Legislature is in town and they act like Austin is a pit of vipers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Why is it that people always try to bring up the issue of taxes in regards to illegals? If you are here undocumented you still pay gas, cigarette, sales, and property taxes (yes renters pay property taxes via their rent). If they do not pay income taxes that is also on the business owner (usually not an illegal but more along the lines of KB Homes, Centex, Holiday Inn, various maid service agencies, etc.) who never seems to get the blame.
There is no question in my mind that the employers are primarily responsible for most of the hiring of illegals. But I'm willing to bet that the State legislature won't ever address that side of the problem, that would upset the business interests. So how hypocritical is that, to ignore the root of the problem while attacking the people who simply want to make a better life for themselves and their families?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is interesting. Don't you just love it when the State Legislature is in town and they act like Austin is a pit of vipers?

There is no question in my mind that the employers are primarily responsible for most of the hiring of illegals. But I'm willing to bet that the State legislature won't ever address that side of the problem, that would upset the business interests. So how hypocritical is that, to ignore the root of the problem while attacking the people who simply want to make a better life for themselves and their families?
Way hypocritical. I think in their ideal world they could have the cheap labor during the day and then have them magically transported over the border at quitting time.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Post #4 includes a warning. This is the second and final warning for the thread. Some posts were deleted above.

Discuss Austin in your posts or take your discussion to one of the forums linked in post #4. The broad topic of Immigration is not to be discussed here UNLESS IT PERTAINS DIRECTLY TO AUSTIN.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Hmmm...my brother is basically subsistence living, and manages to get work as a day laborer from time to time. It does manage to keep a roof over his head. I guess he better not tell anyone he is Austin redsidnet and American, or he won't be able to do it anymore....

As for the article, I did not read it, I am sure (as pointed out above) that it is absolutely un-researched. If numbers are involved, there is always a way to spin them.

Although the numbers are made up, the following statements could both be true:
50% of marriages end in divorce AND
Only 20% of people get divorces.

There are numbers similar to those and both are accurate, but depending on what you are trying to 'sell', you use one statement or the other. So, I personally would have to see any document numbers to know if there is any basis for the story.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Way hypocritical. I think in their ideal world they could have the cheap labor during the day and then have them magically transported over the border at quitting time.
Finally a justification for high speed rail to the border!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
So basically this move by Perry is a sign that real estate is in the toilet worse than we can imagine, no new building anytime soon, and a lot of the newly unemployed immigrants are turning to crime to support themselves?

Last edited by orbius; 01-13-2011 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
So basically this move by Perry is a sign that real estate is in the toilet worse than we can imagine, no new building anytime soon, and a lot of the previous builders are turning to crime to support themselves?
Nothing new about what the builders are doing. It has been going on for over 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: