Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times

Advertisements

I found this to be very surprising. Not only is Austin ahead of the curve, but is leading it as well:

Travis County leads nation in deporting 'noncriminal' immigrants, groups find

What are the implications of this, and what are your feelings about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
I am 100% in support of it. If they aren't here legally, they need to go back, regardless of whether or not they have committed another crime.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I was really surprised at this. Seems that our local LEOs have been taking things into their own hands, regardless of what the city council/mayor might think. Funny that there hasn't been anecdotal reports of this before but maybe I am not in the right circles to hear such stories.

Overall it's good to enforce our already lenient laws (e.g. 14th amendment, no national language, no emergency room turn away) but I can't wait to hear the first complaint of "I had an appointment to have my house re-roofed but no one showed up but the (white) lead guy."

Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
A reminder:

While this is a hot topic everywhere, whatever is discussed in the Austin forum must relate to Austin and not be part of the National debate on the issue of immigration - per the terms of service.

For those who would like to discuss either legal or illegal immigration without having to adhere to the Austin requirement, you may go to these forums:

//www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration

//www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

Last edited by Bo; 01-12-2011 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Bolded for emphasis.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
How are you a noncriminal if you are in jail ?

Nonviolent I would agree with but noncriminal I would not.
They don't just fingerprint and book anybody into jail.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM

72 posts, read 198,300 times
I don't think Travis County or local law enforcement is necessarily responsible for the number or percentage of deportations. All arrested individuals are fingerprinted at booking; all fingerprints are submitted for review against the FBI (criminal history) and DHS (immigration status) databases; and hits at DHS are referred to Immigration & Customs Enforcement for further enforcement if required. Local law enforcement is not authorized to enforce immigration laws, so ICE handles any deportations. ICE's Secure Communities program is supposed to prioritize and remove only those with the worst criminal histories--it appears that this assessment, decision, and action is made at a federal rather than local level. I'd look at the federal programmatic level first for answers. That's my layman's perspective of how it's supposed to work from here: http://www.ice.gov/doclib/pi/news/factsheets/lea_benefits.pdf (broken link)
Maybe there's more to it and APD and Travis Co have more of an active role in determining who is actually deported under the program, but the article doesn't really say one way or the other.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,994 times
Glad to hear Austin is no sanctuary city. And I'm glad Austinites are being proactive and courageously taking matters into their own hands with this issue because Mike Martinez, et al have their heads stuck up Mexico's a--! I can easily picture Mike Martinez and Co. being booted out of camp at re-election time.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I found this to be very surprising. Not only is Austin ahead of the curve, but is leading it as well:

Travis County leads nation in deporting 'noncriminal' immigrants, groups find

What are the implications of this, and what are your feelings about it?
The article is poorly written, but it appears the numbers actually reflect that travis county deports a higher percent of non criminals. So if we deport 10 immigrants and 9 of them are non criminals, 90% of the ones we deport are non criminals - highest in the nation. Yet, we only deported 10 people.

Without absolute numbers it is hard to see the point they are trying to make.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
By definition, an illegal immigrant has broken some laws. So that hardly makes them "non-criminals". Non-violent, yes, non-criminal, no.

Whatever you may feel on the issue, you should do so with the facts firmly in hand. Someone who has violated a law is a criminal.

Now, if they're deporting legal immigrants, that's something else entirely.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
The impression that the referenced article and the title of the OP's post gives is wrong:

Travis County
is not the City of Austin.

Pro-immigration measures approved by the Austin City Council:

1) - In 1997, adding to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services statement of "[To] secure America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system." with this quote:

Quote:
[To] be a "Safety Zone" where all persons are treated equally, with respect and dignity, regardless of immigration status.
Source: Travis County 2006-2007 Immigrant Assessment, "Immigrant Policy, Process, & Legal Rights", (http://www.co.travis.tx.us/health_hu...gal_Rights.pdf)

2) - In 2005, the Austin City Council passed what is considered an 'anti-Minute Man' resolution:
Quote:
The resolution cites concern over untrained civilians taking immigration law into their own hands, activities which MAY encourage discrimination and racial profiling.The resolution directs the City Manager to report any vigilante [another 'code word'] activities to the City Council...

The resolution was an initiative of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) and the Coalition for Justice and Dignity in Austin, a diverse coalition of immigrant and advocacy organizations. Fifty-eight allied civic, faith and labor organizations were signatories to this effort.
Source: Texas Civil Rights Review (http://texascivilrightsreview.org/ph...rticle&sid=390)

3) - In 2010, Austin City Council approves a resolution to give a 10 minute break for construction workers every 4 hours. (Most construction workers within the city, due to lowered cost, are thought to be undocumented.)

Quote:
Austin, TX - Austin City Council members approved a resolution Thursday to give construction workers a 10 minute rest break for every four hours of work.

Workers say they routinely work long hours in temperatures that exceed 100 degrees, which puts them at risk for heat-related illnesses.

According to a press release by the Workers Defense Project, seven construction workers died last summer in Austin. One of those men, Jeffrey Willenborg, died of heat-related causes after working three days in a row on a construction site in extreme temperatures.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, a federal entity, requires that employers provide drinking water, but it doesn't require they provide rest breaks.

Austin is one of the first cities in the country to pass an ordinance like this, according to the Workers Defense Project.
Source: Fox 7 Austin News (Austin City Council Approves Breaks for Contruction Workers (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/Austin-City-Council-Approves-Breaks-for-Contruction-Workers-20100729-ktbcw - broken link))
_ _ _ _

Along with the city's day labor center, Austin's resolves to help with the living and working conditions of the undocumented who help keep this city running has remained consistent and resolute.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 09-04-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: