Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Chuy's is to Tex Mex/Mexican food what Chef Boyardee is to Italian food.
I have to agree that Chuy's is some of the most disappointing mexican food that I have eaten in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. There is one close to my house so we have eaten there for convenience numerous times, but it is very difficult for me to find anything on their menu that I like, except the chips and queso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Raaaa-vee-oh-lee, we love ravioli!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
It's after the fact, but for me, Manuel's either downtown or at the Arboretum is the best food in the city (interior Mex).

Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 PM

151 posts, read 348,500 times
Default So...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
which one would it be? Im heading down there for the day and want to have some dinner down there tonight. Where should I go? Nothing fancy or anything. I just want some good food.
So where'd you eat, Dave? And how was it?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Don't know if it's quite that bad, but as someone who is serious about her Mexican food, and her Tex-Mex, I have to agree that I cannot see the attraction.

There are SO many places that are better if you're going for the food.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 PM

291 posts, read 800,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Don't know if it's quite that bad, but as someone who is serious about her Mexican food, and her Tex-Mex, I have to agree that I cannot see the attraction.

There are SO many places that are better if you're going for the food.
To each his own - I've eaten Mexican food here for 25 years, all over town, and all over New Mexico, and Chuy's is my favorite in Texas, hands down. So, I can say back to you that I don't see what you like in all these other places, I've tried them, they are fine, but to me, Chuy's is better. And yes, I am SERIOUS about my Mexican food. See, it works both ways.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Sorry, but Chuy's is a phenomenon that I just don't get, having eaten there, in various dives and restaurants around town and around Texas, in New Mexico, in California, and in (gasp!) Mexico itself. Yeah, it's popular, but it's sort of a tourist trap and it seems to be more about that than about the food itself.

I wouldn't call it Chef Boyardee, but I would call it one step above Taco Cabana, as far as the food is concerned.

Oh, and I'll see your 25 years and raise you 15 (making 40 in all).

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 08-17-2010 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Amaya's Taco Village in Capitol Plaza is pretty good

Amaya's Taco Village

Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 PM

322 posts, read 847,052 times
First of all, I loooooove amays's. But if I had to choose a last meal to eat in Austin, it would be Juan in a Million. If only for old times sake.
I don't hate Chuy's, but it is very "touristy". If you wanted that same vibe, I'd go to Guero's.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
If I was going to die two days from tomorrow I would enjoy some appetizers, a few stiff cocktails and seafood at Turlock’s. If it’s BBQ, its Donn's at the Y in Oak Hill. If its Mexican food, it’s the beef enchiladas at Maudies. If its tofu - no suggestions. But I'm not dead yet and the Hatch Chilies at Central Market are sooo good.

Just an opinion.

Breakfast tacos: Oh yeah baby, its Juan in a Millions. However, I'm kind of partial to the chorizo at a taco truck that serves some tasty potatoes/cilantro/chorizo and egg tacos at Brodie and William Cannon.

I should work on an amendment to my bucket list.

The last day would be spending some quality time with my cat Boudreaux, some Jack Daniels, Heidi Klum telling me I was a great lover and that I needed to lay down while listening to some Robert Earl Keen, Toni Price, and Jerry Jeff Walker. Hopefully I'm dead by the time the six o clock news in the tee vee - its so depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin