Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking of relocating to the Austin area. I have three school age children. Can you please recommend the best sections of Austin to look for a home? Quality schools are extremely important to us.

Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 AM

10 posts, read 33,662 times
Default North Austin or Eanes

Eanes school district is the best. Next, look for houses in Canyon Vista middle school area, which belongs to Round Rock school disstrict. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,338,839 times
Everything is going to depend on your housing budget. I would suggest you read some of the threads here and get a better idea of what's available in your budget.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 11,089 times
Go to greatschools.com and research the schools. It has all schools listed, you can pick the best and then look for real estate in those areas. Eanes is one of the top rated, but there are others rated just as high. I just got back from Austin, looking at houses and schools. I only looked at the "10" schools and found several nice areas (in my price range) that have "10" rated schools(1-10,10 being the best. Also, look up your own school, it will give you a good comparison.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM

9 posts, read 32,067 times
It depends on our budget and where you work, but the schools in SW Austin are also very good. There's some information about the different neighborhoods in SW Austin at ohan.org and oakhillgazette.com if you want more information. They are all very family oriented and great for kids.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:16 PM

659 posts, read 1,761,066 times
I think the general rule of thumb is go outside of Austin if you want great schools. The exception to that rule would be SW Austin (which is upper middle class families, and therefore well-funded). There are a couple of great schools in AISD, but they all suffer from the same problem as any other school district in a large metropolitan area - too few resources. I'm married to a teacher, so I also happen to know that teachers loathe and despise working for AISD because they treat their employees poorly.

Eanes is excellent (thanks to the millionaires who live in the district), as is Round Rock ISD (although I've heard a nasty rumor that RRISD has dropped in national standing in recent years - probably thanks to Mr. Dell who keeps laying off his employees to ensure he turns a multi-million dollar profit every quarter). I've also heard good things about Leander ISD (which encompasses some schools in the Cedar Park area) and Georgetown ISD, which is a bit of a haul from Austin proper, but they have great schools.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 PM

212 posts, read 1,077,087 times
Make sure when you do your research you talk to the local schools. We chose an area with a top school in the RRISD and the week we bought our house they changed the elementary school boundaries. Luckily for us, since we bought a few blocks away from the school our boundary didn't change but a coworker's who bought across I-35 to go to the same school did change. I was also told by the school there are about 7-8 kids a WEEK moving into the school so that is really taxing the resources.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM

260 posts, read 1,332,226 times
Home price dictates a lot. but you can still find cheaper homes in great school districts. Eanes school district is good of course. So is SW Austin near Circle C. and Dripping Springs is good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin