Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post
CptnRn: Moderator cut: unnecessary comments The post is about the price not on what needs to be done.
Your original post does not reflect thatModerator cut: orphaned comments. You wrote:

Quote:
1997 Honda CRV service related qn
Hey folks, I've a 90K scheduled maintenance coming up
It is impossible for your 1997 Honda CRV to have a 90K scheduled maintenance coming up, as that would be long, long, long, overdue based on the age of your vehicle.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-18-2010 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned comments

Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have routinely had better experiences at First Texas Honda. We have bought 3 honda's from them, owned 4. I tried Howdy Honda for service a few times since they are closer to my home, but always came away feeling like they were trying to sell me things I did not need.
I must say I found the shopping experience at 1st Texas abominable. Their sales person and manager tried to convince me that the color (metallic blue) I wanted was a feminine color and that as a man I wouldn't want it. They of course didn't have that color and didn't want to locate a vehicle I liked. Howdy on the other hand simply said "let's find one you like and we'll work it out."

I have no comment on service since I have never had either of them service my cars other than a few tiny warranty items.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I must say I found the shopping experience at 1st Texas abominable. Their sales person and manager tried to convince me that the color (metallic blue) I wanted was a feminine color and that as a man I wouldn't want it. They of course didn't have that color and didn't want to locate a vehicle I liked. Howdy on the other hand simply said "let's find one you like and we'll work it out."

I have no comment on service since I have never had either of them service my cars other than a few tiny warranty items.
I understand, my wife and I found a female sales person we were comfortable with, and always went back to her when it was time to buy a new car. Unfortunately she has retired. I did talk to a male salesperson there once who I was not at all comfortable with and I walked out on him.

I have had similar experiences at other dealerships, it often depends on the individual.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
First Texas Honda peeved me a bit. We bought our Honda from a different dealer, but had almost every service from 0 to 100000 at First Texas (i.e. they probably made more profit than the dealer we purchased the car from). We had the extended warranty (which financially worked out well for us). The day before we were going to leave for a road trip to Cali, we started having problems with one of the doors. Our Honda had just under 100000 miles on it, and I knew that our road trip would take us over the magic number so i decided to try to run down to First Texas to report the problem to their shop manager and have them view it first hand (it wasn't bad enough to cancel the trip) while the mileage was under 100K. Unfortunately they were closed, so I left a phone message explaining what was up.

We get back from our road trip and sure enough, the car is now over 100K. We pull into the service dept and talk to our service rep (the same one we've had for the entire 100K miles BTW). He proceeds to tell me that they can't do the repair under warranty because the car has 100K miles on it. I tell him what transpired, that I left a message, etc, etc. He says that he will talk to his service mgr and get back to me. He calls back the next day and says "sorry", the svc manager says it's a no go. By now I was pi**ed off. There I was, a loyal customer who had been servicing my car there for years and now they can't do anything for me. Heck, I would have been fine with a discount on the repair but they offered me squat. I was expecting better treatment given our service history, the fact that the svc rep knew us, and the timing (we're talking maybe 100-200 miles over the 100K). But nope, nothing.

Luckily, I got frustrated and called up Honda directly and talked to their warranty folks. They were nice and understanding and they said that they would honor the warranty. Kudos for Honda for realizing that that one act made them more money in the long term than it cost them in the short term. Raspberries for First Texas for doing the exact opposite. After I had them make the repairs, we have not been back since for any reason, nor will we.

Anyway, sorry for droning on but since we were talking about dealerships and service I figured I'd vent

To the OP, I would definitely go ahead and do the timing belt now. Many Hondas have "interference" engines, which means if their timing belts break, you can toast your top end (or your entire engine). That will definitely cost you more than getting the belt replaced This goes for Acura's as well (don't ask me how I know).

Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM

316 posts, read 877,020 times
We have the same exact CR-V. Bought it new, and now it has 184 K miles. Just routine maintenance. Except for the one time the engine valves had to be re-seated (adjusting the valves periodically somehow got ignored). Repair cost was $1,500

Extremely reliable car. One of the best i've ever owned. Although it is underpowered (126 HP) and has has trouble climbing small hills. Have learned to live with that.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM

130 posts, read 386,422 times
pjoseph2: 184K - WOW,. thats pretty awsome! Ya, underpowered. I agree.
I got mine 2.5 yrs ago from an old couple here in Austin,TX and it then had 57K miles (Ya,11 yr old car).

Now after 2.5 yrs it h as 86K miles. It is still shy of 90K but wanted to get the 90K maintenance done. (ya, overdue! - i get it). Called the Juke yesterday,and with 90K maintenance + TB+waterpump, and a cople of other belts (serpentine, alternator belt),he quoted 800$ even. I think i might go with him considering the YELP reviews he has got. Thanks all for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin