Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM

170 posts, read 826,881 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how far in advance these apartment locators can help you? At least in terms of offering information. My move-in date will be April 1st, but I'm planning a last trip to Austin in the end of January to finalize everything. I think I've found the perfect apartment (on my own) but it might be nice to talk to an apartment locator to see what else is out there. If I'm there in late January do you think they'll help me considering my move-in date would be two months after that? Or should I not tell them my exact move-in date plans? I've heard many apartment managers won't even give you a tour if they know you're not ready to move within a month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
As has been mentioned, apt locators are paid by the complex, so unless you're interested in a typically cookie cutter place, they are probably best avoided with one exception, there are a bevy of new apt buildings downtown that may interest you (as in buildings, not "complexes", which seems like more to what you are preferring?). They will generally be similar from the interior (though usually more upscale) but are located either in new hi-rises or renovated small-mid rise buildings. An apt locator that specializes in downtown properties will be able to help you there.

Barring that, you probably want to consider a duplex (or tri/quad/etc) in areas close to downtown (e.g. Tarrytown, West Lynn, etc). You can check regular real estate listings (e.g. zillow lists some rentals).

Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousaboutaustin View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Austin from the Northeast in several weeks. We've been scouring Craig's List for simple, cheap one bedroom apartments or possibly a small house or part of a house to rent. Nothing fancy. The problem is that everything that comes up on Craig's List in our budget (max $750-$800) are these obnoxious-looking condos with pools. Craig's List has always been my go-to for finding an apartment, but it seems like maybe that's not the case in Austin? Am I missing something? Do Austin-ites use some other resource to find normal, non-luxury condo apartments or houses to rent? We're in our 30's but not ready to buy a house or anything. Any advice?
One word of advice: If you find a luxury condo that costs $750-800, it won't be in Austin. It will likely be outside of the city limits, usually in Round Rock or Cedar Park. These are different towns; they are not in Austin. The realtors are starting to get really clever and are labeling properties that are waaaaay out there as "North Austin" and "Central Austin" when they're not in town.

I live in a non-luxury apartment in Austin Proper (Central); it's an older place, cost $1200 for a 2/2; one-bedrooms start at around $800, I believe. We do have a pool, but ... despite the complex's age, it's really quaint and small and isn't a "McCondo."

Most of the apartment complexes in Austin will have pools -- once you experience a summer here, you will see the need for this. Personally, I can't imagine living in a complex that does not have a pool!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
I can say that I first thought those mega-plexes were hard to swallow, but you get used to it. You will see them in all the large sunbelt cities, ala Phoenix, Houston, Vegas, and so on. Just the way these cities have found to absorb all the growth the last 20 years. As other posters have mentioned, the older-type free-standing apartment buildings are in the older parts of town, when Austin was about a third smaller....you will find these around UT, Travis Heights, and a decent chunk of near south side Austin, down to maybe 3800 south.....I found a cool little place that was a former army housing complex a few years ago about 2200 s lamar, that was transformed into an artists colony....very small seperated houses, but it was unique....

Rule of thumb to avoid the mega-complex, avoid NW Austin, the north burbs, and any newer area...and stay close in, either in the UT vincinity or central/near south....you can't go wrong if you do that...also, most of those older apartments do not advertise, and work solely on signage/word-of-mouth

Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 PM

9 posts, read 15,854 times
Use an apartment locator. Seriously. Its free and they are usually very good. I used Gregg at Austin Cool Properties and he found me something 10x better than I could find alone. I looked on Craigslist and on my own for about a month before I talked to him.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 25,830 times
Default the search

I just learned about this site via an email from a nice person who emailed me from the previous post. I appreciate the kind words, if only I knew which happy client it was! There are a bevy of ways to search and agents to use. I try to take a very hard look at all options, managed. properties and MLS, and put myself in the client's shoes, and ask what would I do, ask the questions, gather the facts. Usually works out to great leasing experiences, and good karma with those who don't lease for whatever reason. Occasionally a bad day comes along and it might suck for me or the client, but generally I do a very good job and have made many a friend from the leasing adventure.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
try 42nd by the the hancock center, east of the highway over by fiesta there is a nice friendly enclosed neighborhood with many duplex' for rent. built ww2 or something. i cant remember

Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 10,363 times
Thanks everyone so much for all the information on moving to Austin! My husband and I are moving there next spring and, having lived in adorable older buildings all over the US I was getting kind of downhearted at everything I had seen on craigslist in Austin.

We are going to be holding meditation classes from our house (can't afford to have a separate center) and sending people to complexes would just be kind of odd (and if they're anything like the ones we had in Florida, you can easily get lost in them.)...but maybe not b/c everyone out there is so used to them....anyway, it would just be better for us to live somewhere that isn't in a complex. So it's nice to know that other options exist as long as we know what to look for. Thanks to you, we know what to look for!

I've used this website every time I move to a new place and REALLY appreciate the kind and helpful advice!

I work with adults who have developmental disabilities so if anyone has advice on what programs or corporations are in Austin that serve Austinites with developmental disabilities, please let me know!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriotTheSpy View Post
We are going to be holding meditation classes from our house (can't afford to have a separate center) and sending people to complexes would just be kind of odd (and if they're anything like the ones we had in Florida, you can easily get lost in them.)...but maybe not b/c everyone out there is so used to them....anyway, it would just be better for us to live somewhere that isn't in a complex.
Careful. You can't just run a business from your home without dealing with several important factors... Zoning, business license, HOA restrictions, lease restrictions.

For instance, even if permitted by a landlord, Austin zoning regs say: "The home occupation should not generate customer related vehicular traffic in excess of three vehicles per 24 hour day in the residential neighborhood."

Here's a useful post on the zoning consideration from another thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/21781049-post7.html

Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,363 times
Thumbs up Business.

Oh, it's not a business at all. Not by any means. We're a group of people that get together and meditate and study spiritual texts. We will not be making any money from our spiritual practices. It's just enough people for a small gathering. Except for the very occasional retreat in which people will have to fly in because there are no other centers near us. It's the equivalent of having a weekly dinner party.

Thank you for answering me back about that. I'll be sure to let the apartment-searching people know that this will not at all be a business. Very helpful!

Last edited by HarriotTheSpy; 09-30-2012 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin