Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:51 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,971,974 times

Advertisements

Just checking in from Hutto. We rode our bikes to school today and it was great fun. It only takes about 10 minutes to get there.

At the school there were about seven bikes at the bike rack. We saw about five people walking their kids to school. (I'm sure there could have been more earlier or later...I'm just referencing the time we were in the area)

What we did see was bumper to bumper cars, trucks, SUV's lined up as far as the eye could see. People pulling out into the lane where the crossing guards are, not allowing them to even do their jobs. It appeared if the guards didn't move the people behind the wheels were gonna run em over.

From the looks of it lot's of people driving. I do know it was a great feeling to look at the mile long line of cars while I cruised by to get home on my bike.

Thanks for the great sidewalks Hutto and access to the schools!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM

65 posts, read 188,493 times
funny, but rrisd starts school tomorrow. seems like all the other districts started logically today.. wonder why?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,780,199 times
First day or the first week or two of school are like that. Some will still drive after that, but many parents start walking younger kids to school, kids ride their bikes or start walking with friends, or parents get together and form carpools. At least, that's the way it is in Austin.

Once a child gets to middle school they mostly walk with friends. For some reason, riding a bike to school at that age is a social mistake. lol

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,469,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Just checking in from Hutto. We rode our bikes to school today and it was great fun. It only takes about 10 minutes to get there.

At the school there were about seven bikes at the bike rack. We saw about five people walking their kids to school. (I'm sure there could have been more earlier or later...I'm just referencing the time we were in the area)

What we did see was bumper to bumper cars, trucks, SUV's lined up as far as the eye could see. People pulling out into the lane where the crossing guards are, not allowing them to even do their jobs. It appeared if the guards didn't move the people behind the wheels were gonna run em over.

From the looks of it lot's of people driving. I do know it was a great feeling to look at the mile long line of cars while I cruised by to get home on my bike.

Thanks for the great sidewalks Hutto and access to the schools!!
Good on ya for riding the bikes! Careful on the ride home as the forecast is for a high of +-103 today and tomorrow.

The elementary school in our neighborhood was COVERED in vehicles at the start of last school year, but only for about three days. It settled down considerably after that initial 'everybody drive ONE child to school' rush. Hopefully, that will be the case at your school AND the bicycle traffic grows over time.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
For some reason, riding a bike to school at that age is a social mistake. lol

Oh god, if that's the case what are they going to do with our freshman we sent on his bike??? (mr bill voice...Oh nooooooo....)

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 08-23-2010 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Oh god, if that's the case what are they going to do with our freshman we sent on his bike??? (mr bill voice...Oh nooooooo....)
Just wait and see. Everyone might decide it's the cool thing to do because they saw someone else ride a bike. Cool seems to change with the wind. It may be the thing to do this year. lol

Old 08-23-2010, 12:01 PM

433 posts, read 1,652,916 times
1st day of school....."It's the most, wonderful time, of the year"....for parents.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM

er, just to clairfy...

I wasn't riding with the freshman to school but the elementary little duckling.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 08-23-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,104,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasiem View Post
funny, but rrisd starts school tomorrow. seems like all the other districts started logically today.. wonder why?
LISD started today too.... no clue why. it doesn't feel right to start in August.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
er, just to clairfy...

I wasn't riding with the freshman to school but the elementary little duckling.
So, how was the first day in a new school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: