Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 01:48 PM

102 posts, read 385,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Makes sense, then--Chamber of Commerce stuff.
When I lived in Austin, the music scene was amazing. Because it was a much smaller place, everybody knew everybody. Friend goes to visit a friend: Lyle Lovett is sleeping on the couch. Another friend's girlfriend was Nanci Griffith. Lots of Jamaican music and--of course--South American music (of differing sorts). One dollar cover at Antone's on Friday nights to hear Paul Ray and the Cobras (Stevie Ray Vaughan), where everybody sat around smoking doobies (not ME, of course ). Barton Springs half-empty most of the time. Same for Deep Eddy. Virtually no traffic jams. Eeyore's Birthday light and easy. Great independent theater. Laguna Gloria had great traveling art exhibits. The UT drag was, yes, mostly ma-pa establishments. Used to be the same in Harvard Square: now it's basically just an outdoor mall.
That's the Austin I grew up in. I chatted with Omar Dykes, helped Jimmie Dale pick out earrings for his wife (knew her from seminars we took together) and did martial arts with a group of blues/jazz musicians.
I think I grew up in the leftovers of it, and by the time I finally tore loose in 2001, running from the impending cedar clouds, it was fading fast.
Used to go to all the reggae shows, and danced my cowgirl boots right off my feet.

Quote:
I'm not an urban type, but that's why I really like Boston: you can walk from Cambridge to Boston in 30 minutes or less, lots to do and easy to get around on the subway, yet still don't feel like you are crushed by big city life.
Me neither. I like the woods and streams and Big Sky. Miss it here.

I've learned that the personality of the city counts. I love Munich and Berlin, but can't stand Nuremburg (been here in Germany with the Army for 5.5 years now, headed back early March).

Quote:
What would make Austin cool again, in my humble opinion, would be the installation of a subway system and commuter rail. Likely not ever gonna happen, though. Too bad.
You are so dead on.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/whd2004/inf...n/MV-Facts.pdf
Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for people under the age of 34. Public trans lessens private transportation costs, improves air quality, lowers emergency room burdens, saves lives, and is relaxing.

I've driven in Germany, Czech, Ireland, Holland, France and Greece, and I'm not looking forward to getting back on the road with aggressive, careless American drivers. We just *think* we are the only people on the planet.. I'd rather navigate on the left, through sheep, carelessly parked vans, five grammas on bicycles and a nun, than drive with a bunch of egotistical cell phone addicts. Tests show it's worse than drinking, talking while driving.

One of the beautiful things about Munich (the capital of Bavaria, the Ur-Texas!) is that you can go out and drink, and just take the trains or streetcars home.

I walked the freezing streets of Munich after my classes, and drinks with classmates, hearing music of all kinds drifting out of cellars and acoustic corners, feeling safe. If I got tired, I could pop down into the subway and whoosh! presto I'd be back at the little B&B right on the edge of Munich's green space, the English Garden. I stayed in some wacky places.

Sure, I was homesick.

I spent the first 30-odd (emphasis on ODD) years of my life in Austin.
I've spent the last 10 mostly in Europe, just because I married a guy working for the Army (civil service).

The thing I learned, was that I missed so much by hanging on to what I thought things should be, or what they were before.

I learned, to live life as a tourist.
Should fate bring me back to my hometown (and it may, and I'll be gone for the hot summers and cedar season! skipping heat stroke and chronic bronchitis, thanks..) I'll go find the thrills and the deep grooves I fall into so easily, so effortlessly, and hopefully create more great memories to take with me, into the dark.

EDGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 PM

87 posts, read 321,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwest View Post
Maybe I'm lame, but I think it's nice that people would notice I wasn't in church. And nice that they'd care to ask about my family.
If you go to church and the person inquiring is a member of your church, fine.

But if you don't go to church and people wonder why not than that, I think, is definitely presumptuous. I think that's what the other poster was trying to get across.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_gordon View Post
You are so dead on.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/whd2004/inf...n/MV-Facts.pdf
Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for people under the age of 34. Public trans lessens private transportation costs, improves air quality, lowers emergency room burdens, saves lives, and is relaxing.
There is a new commuter train starting up this fall. I personally think it's very limited initially and in NO way compares favorably to the lightrail plan that was voted down in 2000...but it's something and there's a bunch people trying to make this happen and improve PT here in Austin. So for the poster who said there would never be any trains, they're here now...so is Austin cool again?

I think that post was like 6 months ago...jeez.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julrey View Post
If you go to church and the person inquiring is a member of your church, fine.

But if you don't go to church and people wonder why not than that, I think, is definitely presumptuous. I think that's what the other poster was trying to get across.
Austin folks are generally very sweet and tolerant.
"Thanks for asking, but I'm (fill in blank what you are/aren't)" is a good answer, and if they are cool, you'll get a standing invite to the church BBQ, if you ever feel like it.

Beyond that, is considered rude.

EDGE
(married to an evangelical atheist)

Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
There is a new commuter train starting up this fall. I personally think it's very limited initially and in NO way compares favorably to the lightrail plan that was voted down in 2000...but it's something and there's a bunch people trying to make this happen and improve PT here in Austin. So for the poster who said there would never be any trains, they're here now...so is Austin cool again?

I think that post was like 6 months ago...jeez.
LOL well I AM in Ye Olde Europe.. we're behind, but we're thorough!

WOOHOO! on the commuter train
'Bout time!

EDGE

Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 AM

187 posts, read 846,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
The people complaining about the lack of recycling don't live in Austin.
Just visited my in-laws in St Louis and their curbside recycling program kicks butt compared to Austin's. You can recycle more plastics than just 1 or 2. They take all plastics except 6 right at the curb, no need to visit a recycling center yourself.

They take all cardboard, not just the corrugated kind. Even the kind that's rather waxy, like cereal boxes, etc.

And every home gets a recycling receptacle that's as big as our trash cans here in Austin. I was amazed. It's fairly new for them, and they are so pleased. They can recycle all their yogurt containers and yellowish prescription bottles..... Amazing.

We don't have that here in Austin.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Some recycle programs are not what they seem, though....some recyclables get collected separately, but still end up in the landfill becaues the collector has no outlet to recylce them. This more often happens to the 3, 4, and 5 plastics, which are in much smaller demand.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Some recycle programs are not what they seem, though....some recyclables get collected separately, but still end up in the landfill becaues the collector has no outlet to recylce them. This more often happens to the 3, 4, and 5 plastics, which are in much smaller demand.
True but by collecting all plastics they are creating a source of the materials and can respond immediately when the ability to recycle them arises. It's forward-thinking.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 AM

78 posts, read 181,734 times
I suppose all the negatives depend on your comparisons. The property taxes seem almost -dare I say it- LOW compared to NJ. I have a smaller, older cape cod on very little property in a blue collar suburb and I'm paying $6500 a year- and it's going up again this year! (and the schools in my area stink!)
We have a high income tax, and a higher property tax. Our car insurance is the highest in the country.
Yes, I am told constantly that I'm moving away from philly and NYC... and all the culture. But, being a one income family in NJ is so tight, that I can't AFFORD to go into the city and do anything! My husband is a musician (ska mostly), and all the clubs in NYC were closed by Bloomberg! NJ's clubs are all being turned into non-live music areas.
I am a little worried about allergies and fire ants and bugs, because I don't have all that here to deal with.
But traffic? Rush hours (between 7am and 9:30 and 4pm-7) I can sit in traffic that takes 1.5 hours for a 20 minute drive any other time.
I also want to be nearer water. Here in NJ, that means and hour plus commute to my hubby's job!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 73,638 times
Default Can't say I hate it BUT

I moved here in 06 from Dallas to move to a "smaller" city with a more laid back feel. Well since I've been here I have seen tremendous change. The traffic is worse than I ever saw in Dallas. I have encountered a lot of rude hipsters as well who are extremely judgemental and pretentious. Worse than any of the tools in Dallas.

Also it seems there is a lack of quality jobs. You have to work a lot harder to make enough to get by. The housing is horrible. If you want to live in the best part of town, 78704, you have to live in a crappy apt. built in 1970 that has not been updated and the landlords do not care because everyone wants to live in 78704. I personally cannot afford a house in the area. The Californians have destroyed our market because they think the houses are cheap so they're moving down here in droves.

The waitstaff at restaurants are indifferent. Maybe they are bitter about their jobs?

Also, as a female I have trouble meeting quality men, whereas I haven't before and am always told what a catch I am. But I can't seem to find a good quality guy to date. I don't fit in with the hipsters, but at the same time am not into the boring Cedar Park/Roundrock set either. I have met a lot of other women who have a lot going for them who can't seem to get a date either!

Just my .02 cents. I hope this helps. What I DO love about Austin is the outdoors, esp Town Lake. But I will be moving soon so I can get higher pay and actually buy a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin