Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 12:16 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I always thought Everett was kinda ugly too. If you miss Austin, why don't you move there and be happy. I left, so I know there is room for at least 1 more.
We are working on it! Unfortunately, the economy aint swell anywhere right now and despite my husband having gone through a couple of onsite interviews down there, he has not been extended an offer.

If we were childless, we would pick up and move today. However, with a first grader, it is a bit irresponsible/self-centered for him to up and quit his job (reasonable pay with insurance) and for us to move down to a place with more sun, a friendlier/more laid back vibe, and the superior margaritas. I don't know whether you have children or not, but once you bring one into the world, it is your responsibility to ensure adequate housing, food, and health care.

Seattle is ok and in someways has a lot to offer. For instance the Seattle school district has a standalone public school for highly gifted kids that we will be giving up when we move. Additionally, there's an incredible public library system here. And the state park system in terrific as well. Finally, we have some great friends here that make the bad weather tolerable.

So, long answer to your short question, when the timing is right, we will high tail it outta hear. PS- I am happy - life is just more fun in Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
I think Austin is very beautiful. Now Philly? THAT'S ugly!

I think beauty is mostly defined by mindset. I'm in Ventura, CA right now, a vacation mecca and probably considered one of the most beautiful places in the US. Mountains, ocean, palm trees, 72 degrees year round, no mosquitos, etc...

And I friggin' hate it. Austin is a THOUSAND times more beautiful to me. I miss a "real" downtown. I miss lakes & rivers. I miss culture. I miss going out to see bands & independant movies.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:31 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I think Austin is very beautiful. Now Philly? THAT'S ugly!

I have to jump in here. I don't think Austin is ugly, by any means. However, as a Philly native, I have to say that Philadelphia is beautiful as well. Have you ever seen the cherry blossoms in bloom? or the woods in the the fall? It's also home to the largest park in any metropolitan area in the US - yes, it's even bigger than Central Park in NYC. And it's right on the river.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I have to jump in here. I don't think Austin is ugly, by any means. However, as a Philly native, I have to say that Philadelphia is beautiful as well. Have you ever seen the cherry blossoms in bloom? or the woods in the the fall? It's also home to the largest park in any metropolitan area in the US - yes, it's even bigger than Central Park in NYC. And it's right on the river.
Sorry, you're right. I was only there for two days in a February. I didn't see too much other than the Philadelphia museum (which was awesome). I was just shocked, driving from the airport at the MOUNTAINS of trash (I think it was trash?) that were piled up on either side of the highway. And that's what I think of when I think about Philly: Duchamp and trash. And Rocky, of course.

But you're right, I could take you to parts of Boston and you'd think the place was a pit. And then to other parts and you'd think it was a paradise. So, I guess it depends on where you are ANYwhere.

Last edited by readymade; 07-29-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM

30 posts, read 65,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentmover View Post
Austin is fun if you are in your twenties and can be a nice place to raise a family, but I would hesitate to recommend it for the single, over-30 professional set. There aren't enough well-paying jobs to create a vibrant scene for single professionals. After a few years you realize how shallow the pool really is in terms of people to date, socialize with, etc. Most professional jobs are in the engineering and computer tech fields, and a lot of those men seem to marry and settle down early. Like an earlier poster, I think the dating scene is tough for older single women (as in, out of their twenties).

If you like outdoor activities (swimming, mountain biking, dog walking, etc.) and can be happy spending your free time with those types of things, you might like it well enough. And, SXSW is a blast-- especially the free daytime stuff that you don't need a wristband for.
I agree with several point you made. I think Austin has many good qualities like natural beauty of the Hill Country, Barton Springs and Lady Bird Lake. But let's be honest, Austin's economy is not very diverse and the salaries in Austin pale in comparison even to places like Dallas or Houston, and yet, the cost of living in Austin is higher (especially rents).

I would also recommend that people should NOT just pick up and move to Austin without a firm job offer from a stable company (ie, a company that is well positioned to survive a pending deep recession that will last for the next 2 to 5 years). Unfortunately, amidst the current gloomy economic back drop, I believe several tech start-ups, homebuilders, retailers and even large corporates like AMD will likely disappear in the next few years and there won't be other jobs created to pick up the slack.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy dan View Post
Unfortunately, amidst the current gloomy economic back drop, I believe several tech start-ups, homebuilders, retailers and even large corporates like AMD will likely disappear in the next few years and there won't be other jobs created to pick up the slack.
So there is going to be plenty of engineers that make well over 100K not have a job then?

Talk about a competitive market. Sell your soul!!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
Angry I hate Austin so much....

Yes, Austin sucks.

I'm from San Antonio.

I move to Austin, and the traffic sucks even worse than San Antonio, the roads are built for 1960's traffic (2 lanes instead of like 8).

UT, UT, UT...I'm sick of all the hype about UT. People assume that you're not educated unless you went to UT, sorry, but there are other, BETTER universities within and outside the state.

There aren't enough restaurants and shops to serve the population, now or in 20 years, when the population is supposed to triple. Also, houses are overpriced, it's Texas, not California.

It seems harder to get a job here, and I don't know why. I'm a nurse for crying out loud, I could walk in a burlap sack and get a job in any other city on the planet (I'm used to being able to get one quick, I have great credentials). I'm only here because my spouse works at Dell, which isn't exactly the "computer empire" it used to be.

It's hard to relate to people here, mostly they've been rude and uppity.

Just a few reasons I hate living here. I'm thinking I'll stay another couple of years (long enough to get some experience and find another job somewhere better, Dallas, San Antonio, anywhere else). I know this is an acquired taste as far as places to live, but come on! My advice: Don't move here and save yourself the headache.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Wait. I'm terrified to drive in San Antonio, and have been for some 40 years now - you have to drive by telepathy there! (Learned to drive in Dallas, Houston doesn't bother me much, Austin is a piece of cake.)

I find it astounding to hear someone from San Antonio, famous for its crazy traffic, saying that Austin traffic is bad.

As for restaurants, I don't have any problem at all finding plenty of restaurants to eat at, and I'm a foodie.

Rude and uppity is certainly not my experience (or what I've heard described by people new to the area).

I'm wondering (a) what city you're REALLY in that you think is Austin or (b) what you're doing to make it seem like you're in an entirely different city than the one I recognize as Austin.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,460 times
I am about to move to Austin!!! I am really scared but I hope that it goes good!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 11,483 times
I love Austin. It is small and nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin