Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times

Advertisements

Tom DeLay's trial will be in Travis County, Texas - CNN.com

Do Texas a favor, Austin, and put this guy away.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Tom DeLay's trial will be in Travis County, Texas - CNN.com

Do Texas a favor, Austin, and put this guy away.
I don't think we will really have any power over that.

I can't get your link to work, but, If they are impanelling a jury, I would imagine Delay's lawyers will try really hard to get a change of venue. I doubt the Hammer wants residents of travis county to decide his fate.

What a horrible man.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I can't get your link to work, but, If they are impanelling a jury, I would imagine Delay's lawyers will try really hard to get a change of venue. I doubt the Hammer wants residents of travis county to decide his fate.
He tried that, and failed today.
DeLay trial set for Travis County

Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
He tried that, and failed today.
DeLay trial set for Travis County
I don't know why I can't get links to work tonight.

He really would be stupid not to get a change of venue. Tom Delay was the driving force behind the redistricting plan in Texas. He disenfranchised voters in Travis county (in most other counties too).

Regardless of what side of the political spectrum you are on, your vote should count. You only get one vote, and it should mean something. For anyone, repub or dem, to decide, "Hmmm, how can we make these votes not matter" is wrong.

Oh well. I am sure he will get a slap on the wrist, if he is convicted at all.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I don't know why I can't get links to work tonight.
Just go to the statesman.com website. It's one of the stories on the front page. From the article linked above, discussing an Austin-area poll that I Delay's defense conducted:

Quote:
DeGuerin said DeLay is disliked in Travis County because of his efforts to "gerrymander" the defeat of U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin, by creating a slender "fajita district" from Austin to the Texas-Mexico border.

The poll the defense commissioned asked 400 registered voters their opinions about DeLay and the case.

DeLay's name recognition in Travis County is almost as high as President Barack Obama's and former President George W. Bush's, and his negatives — at 59 percent — are almost as high, the poll found.
Seems like he should have known good and well he was gerrymandering the area he'd have to stand trial in, should state charges ever come against him. He's just reaping what he has sown...

Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comments to deleted post

Delay is just another one of them. He been set scott free on every charge thus far. The charges are weak at best, politically motivated, so anyone holding their breath hoping for some sort of "justice" is most likely in for a let down.

What we should really be angry about is that our tax dollars are wasted on this sort of rubish.

Steve (feeling kind of prickly today)

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-29-2010 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: deleted orphaned comments due to quoted post deletion

Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Moderator cut: off topic per terms of service
Delay is just another one of them. He been set scott free on every charge thus far. The charges are weak at best, politically motivated, so anyone holding their breath hoping for some sort of "justice" is most likely in for a let down.

What we should really be angry about is that our tax dollars are wasted on this sort of rubish.

Steve (feeling kind of prickly today)
If the charges were weak they would have been dismissed. DeLay had access to Republican lawyers of the highest caliber are you saying they're inept? Also Delay claiming that since Travis county is 60-40 Democrat to Republican that he couldnt get a fair trial here gave me a good laugh.
That smacked of desperation and guilt. Put a fork in him he is done.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-29-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: deleted referenced off topic comments per TOS

Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM

313 posts, read 786,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
If the charges were weak they would have been dismissed. DeLay had access to Republican lawyers of the highest caliber are you saying they're inept? Also Delay claiming that since Travis county is 60-40 Democrat to Republican that he couldnt get a fair trial here gave me a good laugh.
That smacked of desperation and guilt. Put a fork in him he is done.

I remember seeing quite a push for "the DA of Austin is a liberal operative with an agenda" on many conservative channels and news venues. I imagine a conservative area of Texas would fully buy into that given many people's view of Austin in this state and he may have gotten off if the trial were moved.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Some posts above were deleted. Since the trial will take place in Austin, this is the forum to discuss the events surrounding this trial.

However, the Politics & Other Controversies forum is the place to discuss issues unrelated to the trial such as party politics, the Tea Party, pundits, etc..

Please be sure you are posting in the correct forum, as City-Data's TOS says "posts unrelated to the local area will be deleted." And as always, discuss the points, not the poster.

Thank you!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
The Appeals Court has basically said that our former district attorney, Ronnie Earle, is an embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: