Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM

21 posts, read 39,014 times

Advertisements

Hi...doing all of our research on a relocation to the Austin area and was wondering if anyone has any insight on the subject of bullying in the schools in the Cedar Park area. One of my biggest fears is of getting my reluctant 12 year old son on board with moving and then having him be a victim of bullying. I'm probably being overly paranoid because he generally has a very easy time making friends and is very outgoing and talkative. Neither of my kids have ever had a problem here in San Jose, which is why a change concerns me a bit.

If there is a problem there, are there other districts that have less of a problem while still being highly rated?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat219 View Post
I'm probably being overly paranoid because he generally has a very easy time making friends and is very outgoing and talkative.
!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM

- Point taken!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,241 times
I am in LISD. Haven't seen any bullying. Heard some things from high schools, but very minor. The kids here are so polite it takes getting used to. Most say sir and ma'am. You don't see the wannabe-rapper types like I left behind in California schools. For elementary/middle school -- there are TONS of kids here on the spectrum, my own included, and they are all mainsteamed. A lot are here because the services and support from LISD is so great. But what is also great is the other kids. They are so supportive and helpful. My son is totally socially awkward. The kids in his class don't tease him, they look out for him and are so polite. The jock kids who are into football are all really well-raised kids. In a lot of areas, I could see these groups of bigger kids in their jerseys picking on the Aspie kid. Here, the jocks are so nice to my son, I can't imagine him being bullied. Lot of church going out here, and I think that makes a huge difference in the community overall. I don't think you can totally avoid bullying anywhere, but in three years I've been here, it would be pretty shocking to hear about anything serious. There are also a ton of karate studios here and all the kids who aren't already doing school-related sports or music seem to be over there; those places are all packed. My son is over at one. Seems like 30% of the kids in karate are on the spectrum. Seriously, though, the LISD system has been such a complete 180 from what I left behind in hellacious California school system that I have nothing but great things to say.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the response. Well put. I just read your post to another thread regarding moving from Silicon Valley to Austin. I'm going to print out that one for my wife to read

I think my paranoia about the situation only shows how much I need to get out of the city. You spend all of your life in the Bay Area with rising crime and you just naturally start thinking that everyone everywhere is bad and dangerous.

After reading your comment on that other post, I'm starting to really regret the fact that we are not planning on doing this until next summer (2014). If you saw my garage you'd understand that I will need at least that long.

But the more I'm reading up on everything the more I'm liking the idea of moving out there. My son and I are flying out next month to take a look around and visit a couple of friends in Pflugerville. Can't wait!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
I am in LISD. Haven't seen any bullying. Heard some things from high schools, but very minor. The kids here are so polite it takes getting used to. Most say sir and ma'am. You don't see the wannabe-rapper types like I left behind in California schools. For elementary/middle school -- there are TONS of kids here on the spectrum, my own included, and they are all mainsteamed. A lot are here because the services and support from LISD is so great. But what is also great is the other kids. They are so supportive and helpful. My son is totally socially awkward. The kids in his class don't tease him, they look out for him and are so polite. The jock kids who are into football are all really well-raised kids. In a lot of areas, I could see these groups of bigger kids in their jerseys picking on the Aspie kid. Here, the jocks are so nice to my son, I can't imagine him being bullied. Lot of church going out here, and I think that makes a huge difference in the community overall. I don't think you can totally avoid bullying anywhere, but in three years I've been here, it would be pretty shocking to hear about anything serious. There are also a ton of karate studios here and all the kids who aren't already doing school-related sports or music seem to be over there; those places are all packed. My son is over at one. Seems like 30% of the kids in karate are on the spectrum. Seriously, though, the LISD system has been such a complete 180 from what I left behind in hellacious California school system that I have nothing but great things to say.
In general I'd agree with you, but I have seen bullying in the elementary school so it does exist but the two instances I had occasion to be involved with included; one included a local boy that thought he was superior because he lived in a gated neighborhood (I blame the parents for that one), the other was from a child who had a very bad situation at home that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Those instances were dealt with appropriately and promptly. I think both of those situations would happen anywhere, (unfortunately).

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM

I should add that I was just reading up on the stats for the states with the worst bullying problems and California (my current home) is one of the top five...so that kind of puts some things in perspective for me.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
I have no stats to back this up just my own thoughts and observations. As a California raised girl (San Jose) and then 20 years in Reno, NV the one thing I have really noticed in the year we have lived here in Central Texas is the parenting, the behavior expectations and the community influence on childrens behavior.

We were very pleasantly surprised to no longer be the "strict" parents on the block but to actually be living in an area where raising well behaved, responsible and kind children is still something that is expected. This attitude trickles down to the children in school. It is so refreshing to see that people here still parent their children. Sure, there are always exceptions but the overall expectations of behavior are much higher than I have ever experienced and I for one really like it.

The other night my teen daughter and I met up with our real estate agent to view a home for sale. Because it was evening our agent had her 7 year old son with her. I cannot remember the exact circumstance but I asked the child something and he answered me, however his mother reminded him to "look Mrs. T in the eye when you answer" It was just a gentle reminder and this is a very common occurence.

Our experience with the schools has been similar. Polite, well behaved kids. Personal responsibility is expected, its so nice to see. People here are just nice, the kids are nice etc. I love it

Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
I have a few friends who go to CPHS and Vista Ridge. They've said that a lot of people who are "different" (I assume LGBT, scrawny, etc.) are given a hard time. There was an incident at CPHS where a gay student got beaten up last year, but I can only offer what I've heard.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM

Thanks Mamacatnv...couldn't agree enough about the parenting issue. Good information...again. Thanks.

Austinite101 - I suspect anywhere there is going to be some issues, but overall the reviews have been good and again, I'm coming from California (which is 3rd in the top 5 of worst states for bullying). We keep the lines of communication open with our kids about this issue, but I'm probably more worried than I should be. But probably better to be concerned than not.

Thanks for the post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin