Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Austin is nothing like California.
Well, there are parts of California that are nothing like other parts of California. Having lived in both places, there are many similarities depending on what part of California that you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Well, there are parts of California that are nothing like other parts of California. Having lived in both places, there are many similarities depending on what part of California that you're talking about.
Funny, we are so egotistical, coming from both places, we act as if those were the only two places in the world...the only comparison possible...we have 48 other states in the union, but you see the same cal/tex comparison 98% of the time....

We should be asking, Austin is nothing like North Dakota...or maybe, Austin is nothing like Vermont..you know?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
What do you really mean?..

Old 08-30-2010, 06:28 PM

3,075 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Funny, we are so egotistical, coming from both places, we act as if those were the only two places in the world...the only comparison possible...we have 48 other states in the union, but you see the same cal/tex comparison 98% of the time....

We should be asking, Austin is nothing like North Dakota...or maybe, Austin is nothing like Vermont..you know?
Err, this thread is about a Californian thinking about moving to Texas, why on earth would anyone introduce any of the other 48 states? Overall you see it frequently because many of the folks either moving or contemplating moving are from Cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya
What do you really mean?..
I assume he means that California is a large and diverse state. Living in Redding is nothing like living in Santa Monica. Given such diversity, you are bound to find various areas that have more similarities to Austin than they might to some other city in California. As an example, the Peninsula of the Bay Area is probably closer to Austin than it is to Bakersfield, despite both being in Cali.

Unless of course you're implying that the comment had some other hidden meaning?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,933 times
Quote:

So glad you said that. I've also said before, what is it with people's fixation on CA? I'm from CA, but there are as you say, "48 other states in the union." I just don't get it.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 PM

14 posts, read 34,345 times
I think the reason many of the people that want to move from California to Texas is because of the people. Texans are proud of there state, they are proud of there way of life. Living in California all my life I can tell you there was a time when it was very much like that here. It still is in certain parts, but we want that again. We want to be proud of where we live, and how we live. It's just not going to be that way here in California for us, maybe never.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
So glad you said that. I've also said before, what is it with people's fixation on CA? I'm from CA, but there are as you say, "48 other states in the union." I just don't get it.
What have Californian transplants been talking about on thread after thread? California!

Comparing the social climate, the weather, the stores (ie, Trader Joe's), the job market....everything is about California.

As a Texan, the fixation on California beats me too! It seems Californian transplants either can't get CA out their minds or want some place like CA to be their "Earth 2".

My point is..it ain't here !

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 08-30-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
What have Californian transplants been talking about on thread after thread? California!

Comparing the social climate, the weather, the stores (ie, Trader Joe's), the job market....everything is about California.
Well, the title of the thread is "Thinking of moving from California to Texas". Who better to help the Op out than people that have lived in California and Texas? It would be tough for us to give an opinion on too many other places because a good portion of us have probably only lived in CA and TX.

And yes, saying a place is nothing like CA is just as bad as saying a place is nothing like TX. Does someone mean El Paso, Corpus Christi, or Austin? CA is the same way. There are places in CA where it gets much hotter than Austin during the summer. It really depends on where you live in the state.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
Thanks Eich!

believe me, I love california...on many many levels..nothing to do with the state, or even the people...just that when I hear Austin compared to another state/city, it seems to be cal or a city in cal most of the time..honestly, I would say at least 60%...And why, other than so many are moving here from cal, which is cool, BTW, I have no idea. Texas is quite far from most cities in Cal and the state, and is technically a southern state, with marked southern traits and one of the deeper southern accents, actually its own accent..most definitely a distinct species of southerspeak in all ways...

Also, the political mindset of Texas is, if anything, antithetical to the mindset of California..one is quite liberal, and the other skews a libertarian version of republican.....Austin itself is trending republican per the outlying growth, and certainly it isn't even that strong of a liberal bastion itself, if you could even call it that...the rest of the state is hardcore Libertarian...
Cal regulates everything, Tex regulates little to nothing...Cal is strapped by unions and legacy costs, tex the opposite...Cal is high tax, Tex has NO state taxes at all..Cal is environmentally strict, Texas not quite so, though it is far ahead of many other states....and on and on...even geograhically, the majority of the pop in Texas resides in the eastern third, which is relatively flat, and hot as hell through the entire summer, compared to the temperate environment most of the pop of Cal experiences on the coast. You would have to go to barstow to approximate the heat in central and southern Texas in the summer...

So, that state comparison you see all the time reflects only one thing..the sheer number of folks from cal moving here, and the hope/desire they have that Texas will be a comfortable fit for them....why SHOULD it be like anyplace in cal anyway..it is Texas, and it is what it is...and it sure as hell is not California on any level...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Austin itself is trending republican per the outlying growth, and certainly it isn't even that strong of a liberal bastion itself, if you could even call it that
Not to quibble..but No.

Republican vote in 2004 Democratic vote in 2004
Williamson County: 64.97% to 33.63%

Republican vote in 2008
Williamson County: 55.49% to 42.53%

Source: Dave Leip's Atlas of Presidential Elections (Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections - State Data)

Notice: The drop in the Republican vote from 2004 and 2008. As for the growth of the Democratic Party in WilCo, The Texas Tribune gives credit to demographic shifts within the county:

Quote:
The Democratic Party will also look to gain ground in Fort Bend and Montgomery counties near Houston and in Williamson County outside of Austin. Williamson and Fort Bend counties have each seen the migration of more minorities from Austin and Houston. Both are considered key battleground counties.
Source: The Texas Tribune, "Can a Democrat Win The Texas Governor's Race"
(Can a Democrat Win the Texas Governor's Race? — 2010 Texas Governor's Race | The Texas Tribune)

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 08-30-2010 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin