Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 08:23 PM

48 posts, read 167,184 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm originally from Seattle, and have basically lived here my whole life... I have nothing against Seattle and a lot of people love it... but I'm BORED of it. I have never lived anywhere else and am looking to change that. I'm currently looking for employment in Austin because I hear it has a similar relaxed feel like Seattle's, except with warmer weather (yes I know very hot sometimes), lower cost of living, and a southern feel. I have my CPA license and 3 years of solid accounting experience. I'm finding it difficult on my own applying from out of state. Anyone know any good recruiters in the area? I am willing to fly myself down for interviewers and have ample financial resources to do so.

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:35 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,034,816 times
Sounds like you went to school in Seattle as well per your CPA...yeah, I can see getting bored with your hometown....Seattle people in general are pretty great...I was in Sea-Tac, and accidentally dropped my plane ticket(had no money to buy a new one either).....some guy came up behind me and handed it to me....one of the kindest things I've ever had done, and I still remember it....just a beautiful city as well...well, short of trying to get in Bill Gates will, maybe it IS time to make a change for you...I would just say keep your options open...there are lots of great cities as well, and some with far better scenery than Aus....I grew up in the midwest, so to me the hills west of town are mountains...not sure what your bar of natural beauty is, living your whole life within sight of Mt. Rainier.....but I'm sure you can find something out here if you really wanted to, and took the time..

Just think it over....

Old 08-29-2010, 08:40 PM

48 posts, read 167,184 times
Yes Seattle natives are in general good people,smart, polite, and friendly, albeit sometimes unintentionally cold (I think it's the dreary weather, except for our summers are some of the best around). We tend to be pretty laid back. I went to school at Washington State University on the opposite side of the state, so I was 300 miles away from home for four years, but I've lived in Seattle city limits for the 3 yrs since I've been back, and it has once again grown stale. It is a beautiful place, but I need to go out and experience something else. I am considering several other cities (Atlanta, San Diego, and Dallas), and I currently have recruiters in Atlanta and Dallas who I am working with. Some people may think I am considering too few or too many cities, but I think 4 is manageable, especially considering the current economy.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,034,816 times
Hi again Tom......yeah, I think its the weather that makes people superficially cold(they really aren't, but thats just what you see outside, and that not necessarily most of the time....lots of Seattleites are extremely talkative as well...they may not smile as much, but are just as warm inside, and at least aren't palming off phony smiles....)

You will see the opposite here in Austin...people SEEM really nice, and often are, but are harder to get to know in the long run..in Seattle, it is harder to break the ice, but easier to really get to know.
Same in any cold or dreary city, like London, UK, for example(why Seattle is like that)...they just tend to be reserved. Don't get me wrong, people are very nice here in Austin, but I tend to try to probe beyond that, and really get to know people, and that is where they clam up, where I might be able to get a long chat going once I break the ice in Seattle..both are great, but in diff ways, and only in a general sense...
just keep in mind that, like most of the south, much of the "friendliness" is just good manners, but thats a great thing as well.....just don't think everyone wants to be your friend just cause they smile and chat you up with light chatter here...thats just being warm and human....deep down, people don't REALLY open up here anymore than anyplace else,,,,but still nice....I'll take good manners, thank you.....

Think seriously about San Diego..hands down the friendliest big city in Cal, and the mellowest as well, not really unlike Austin.....and they have some killer Fish Tacos as well! Just great scenery in the canyons there, and the beaches and such....breathtaking...

Old 08-29-2010, 10:17 PM

543 posts, read 1,381,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom8503 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm originally from Seattle, and have basically lived here my whole life... I have nothing against Seattle and a lot of people love it... but I'm BORED of it. I have never lived anywhere else and am looking to change that. I'm currently looking for employment in Austin because I hear it has a similar relaxed feel like Seattle's, except with warmer weather (yes I know very hot sometimes), lower cost of living, and a southern feel. I have my CPA license and 3 years of solid accounting experience. I'm finding it difficult on my own applying from out of state. Anyone know any good recruiters in the area? I am willing to fly myself down for interviewers and have ample financial resources to do so.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom,

Not sure how easy it will be to find a job as an accountant in Austin as it is home to UT which has a very strong accounting program (I think it may even be #1). People who go to UT generally want to stay in Austin so there is a steady stream of accounting majors each year and from what I've seen few jobs for those with less than 5 years of accounting experience. Also, keep in mind that Texas's CPA licensing requirements are higher than most states (well at least most states I've lived in). I'd need to take at least two more accounting classes before I could even be licensed here as Texas only accepts certain accounting classes towards licensure (there is a list of acceptable classes on the state board of accountancy website). So be sure to check whether you'd be able to get reciprocity before you make the jump assuming getting a Texas license is important to you.

At any rate, good luck! Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin