U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 PM

16 posts, read 28,023 times

Advertisements

What is the farthest out a landlord in the area will hold a deposit on a property without charging rent? Say I come and find a house in mid-november, pay deposit and app fees and get approved. Would I then have to start a lease the following month even if I didn't intend on moving my family until, say, jan 1?

In my experience it's pretty customary to secure residences 6-8 weeks out of a move, but I'm being told that in the Austin market landlords will expect you to start paying rent immediately even if you don't need your lease to begin for another 6 weeks or so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM

6,213 posts, read 16,200,935 times
The question is, how long will a typical landlord hold a home vacant while waiting for you to move in.

Most professional landlords will only hold a home vacant about 2 weeks, give or take depending on the level of motivation. Some homes are marketed prior to being vacant, so if a tenant gives a 60 day notice on Oct 1, and the landlord starts showing the home Oct 15th, and you lease it Oct 16, the landlord may hold it until Dec 16th, thus giving you a 2 month wait time.

Usually, you pay the deposit upon application and the first month's rent upon move-in. Some landlords require rent payment at the lease signing though.

In the Austin market, most tenants give a 30 day notice, so you should start looking about 45 days prior to the day you want to move in. That will provide you the largest number of candidate homes to consider, especially if you're surfing AustinHomeSearch.com. We rarely place our available listings longer than 45 days out, and a lot of property managers and landlords do the same.

Steve

Old 08-31-2010, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 28,023 times
Great information, Steve. The motivation factor makes sense. I've just never had a problem, in my time renting, securing a rental 6 weeks out with a security deposit. I can understand some not wanting to let their property sit that long if it is a hot rental market. I guess it all depends on the market though. Just wanted to verify the information I had gotten was correct. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin