Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 AM

117 posts, read 536,835 times

Advertisements

We've been here 2 weeks and we've met no one... Help!!

We really like it, though. We're out shopping, doing errands, etc. People are friendly but our street is very quiet. I walk in the mornings and people will smile and say good morning but I never see anybody just...outside. Our son has ridden his bike all around and he has yet to meet anybody either. Does anyone have suggestions for activities for kids in the Lakeway or surrounding areas during the day? I want to get them off the computer/watching movies! Like sports stuff, day camps, VBS? (We take them to the pool when possible.)
Our son will start football July 30-can't wait-but I'd like to find something for him sooner. He is almost 9, loves all sports and being outside. One of our daughters is 14 and loves art, dance, some sports, drama, etc. We also have a 2 year old little girl...are there any play groups? How could I find them?
We are mid to late 30's, self-employed, love the outdoors, good food-dining out, going to movies, watching/playing football, and are just discovering biking. Any ideas? Don't we sound pathetic??!! I swear, at home we had lots of friends, really!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,589,946 times
meetup.com is great for finding playgroups. I know where I'm at there are lots of sports camps, etc..going on. You could call a local church and ask about the VBS thing.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,260,822 times
If your kids like tennis, the Austin Tennis Academy is in Lakeway and they have camps. There are tons of camps all over this area. Farther east here in River Place and Steiner Ranch we have plenty. I would recommend taking a look at Austin Family magazine. You can pick up a hard copy at most of the grocery stores, or read the full online version, including all of the summer camp ads, at Austin Family Magazine. The current issue has tons of summer camp info.

Two weeks is not a long time to make friends. Give it time as well. I'd say the rain is not helping your efforts. We always have people out in our neighborhood, though,e ven in the rain! Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:03 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,260,822 times
oh - one other thing, there is a Moms Club of Lakeway that plans playgroups and mom outings for moms with littler ones:

MOMS Club® Austin/Lakeway, TX

Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM

117 posts, read 536,835 times
Lots of great ideas-thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM

260 posts, read 1,327,801 times
Julz.....hopefully this will help.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 27,653 times
Default Lakeway Kids Camp

I found the cutest little kids camps that were really inexpensive at My Time kids gym. I wish they offered them all year. I was leaving to go out of town so I missed the pirate camp and the animal camp but they brought in a clown that was amazing and the kids loved it. They were running a local mom's play group so it was packed. The only place I saw a schedule of camps was at www.mytimkidsgym.com (broken link) If anyone is looking for a date night out with the hubby, you have to go to Mandola's winery off of Hwy 71. Fun!!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,163 times
Default My Time kids gym

My sister's kids go the My Time kids gym in Lakeway and they seem to really enjoy it. Kids spend way too much time indoors. I was the kids gym with my sister and her daughter did a gymnastics show and everyone took the most beautiful pictures of the girls doing dress up themes with princess dresses, and of course the boys had all the super heroes.
My kids are grown now but I sure wish they had a place like that when I was a younger mommy. They never had anything in Lakeway! They always seems like they are pretty full of kids because the parking lot is crowded and they almost next door to China Pacific on 620. Neat place.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
If your kids like tennis, the Austin Tennis Academy is in Lakeway and they have camps. There are tons of camps all over this area. Farther east here in River Place and Steiner Ranch we have plenty. I would recommend taking a look at Austin Family magazine. You can pick up a hard copy at most of the grocery stores, or read the full online version, including all of the summer camp ads, at Austin Family Magazine. The current issue has tons of summer camp info.

Two weeks is not a long time to make friends. Give it time as well. I'd say the rain is not helping your efforts. We always have people out in our neighborhood, though,e ven in the rain! Good luck.
fwiw, ATA is located on the other side of Highway 71. "World of Tennis" is located in Lakeway. Both have tennis camps.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,062,567 times
I don't know if you are in Lakeway or near it. We just went to the activities center in Lakeway yesterday to check out what was available. The answer is LOTS. All kinds of classes, clubs, hikes, etc. There is a newcomers' club, too. You can join the activities center if you are not a Lakeway resident, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: