Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

Truck drivers tell great stories, they get lots of practice BS'ing on the CB Radios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker_Yanker View Post
Mild winters or mild summers, with the opposite season having somewhat uncomfortable weather. That's what you're gonna find. I looked long and hard to find a place where the weather is always in the 60s and 70s year round. Doesn't exist in the continental US.
Well of course it does; it's called San Diego. They probably wouldn't approve of your cancer sticks there, though.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
tanker yanker..you write very well.

And type very well too.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 AM

47 posts, read 109,716 times
Well, thank you all about the typing and writing comments. I like to point out that the stereotype that the only reason you would drive a truck is because you were too stupid to do anything else is antiquated. Sure, I've seen the slobs in various truckstops that started to think and filled the air with the smell of burning clutch, but the reason I jam gears has more to do with solitude, a sense of wanderlust..... Plus it just makes my day when some kid passing me asks me to honk the horn....

As for BSing, Cap'n Ron, looks like you've got my number there lol! Not so much with BSing on the CB (The airwaves aren't as full of chatter as they were in, say, the '70s), but most any truck driver LOVES to shoot the s#&t when given the chance. Something to do with spending as much time alone as we do....

DenverBrian, funny you should mention it, but I just got home from dragging a load into Azusa, CA (Just down the road from San Diego). Sure, San Diego might have the perfect climate, but I don't much care for it down there. I generally try to shag in and back out as quickly as possible, in the middle of the night. I like that drive across the Mojave, but I quit being happy once I get south of Barstow on 15. Not only that, but while it might have the perfect climate, I've always chuckled about the fact that as you drop off Cajon Pass into the San Fernando valley, there is a big brown cloud hovering over the area...no thanks. You're also right about the cancer sticks... I went into Long Beach harbor with a load about a year ago. Hitched the trailer, and while I was thumping the tires and taking gauge readings, I made the mistake of lighting a cigarette. I was easily a couple HUNDRED yards from the nearest building, and some woman made a point to come over and tell me how bad it was for me (No kidding? My mother was an ER nurse, I've heard every anti-smoking argument there is..), how vile and disgusting, and how it's too bad it's not illegal to smoke, she'd have me hauled off to the poke, etc. etc. Started fantasizing about how I'd like to take the two foot crowbar I use for a tire bat and check the pressure in her teeth........

Last edited by Tanker_Yanker; 09-04-2010 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: added thought

Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Hey all,
Thought I'd pop in and say hey again. Much appreciate all the input everyone gave, and all I have to say is WOW.... No wonder Texas folks are proud of their state, it's almost too good to be true!

Thanks to Cap'n Ron, I got a good start on finding fourwheeling in Texas, and I gotta say, it looks like my fourwheeling fix will be well satisfied there. A plethora of offroad parks, Padre Island (Can't wait to spend a weekend camping and wheeling on the beach!), and Big Bend is, well, the perfect national park. A pretty fair haul from the Austin area, but seems to be chock full of all the solitude you can handle!

As for hunting, after further research, I plan to try a little hog hunting down there, but I'll be coming back to Wyoming for deer and elk season (makes Dad happy, since we're close and he wasn't real thrilled to hear that I'm moving 1500 miles away).

THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone for the information and the warm reception (Asked about solitude in South Carolina and recieved a private message from a woman who said South Carolina didn't have any room for "antisocial nutcase Manson wannabes"...). I'm sold, and excited to move.
Now if I could just get my (soon to be) ex wife to quit screwing around and sign the papers.....

Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker_Yanker View Post

As for BSing, Cap'n Ron, looks like you've got my number there lol! Not so much with BSing on the CB (The airwaves aren't as full of chatter as they were in, say, the '70s), but most any truck driver LOVES to shoot the s#&t when given the chance. Something to do with spending as much time alone as we do....
I was wondering if CB's were still in use by truckers as much as they used to be, or have they been replaced with something else, like cell phone conference calls or such.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I was wondering if CB's were still in use by truckers as much as they used to be, or have they been replaced with something else, like cell phone conference calls or such.
I've had a strange feeling they might be replaced with laptops and broadband cards...

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I've had a strange feeling they might be replaced with laptops and broadband cards...
Hopefully not while they are driving! The CB radio was used while driving to contact other truckers on the same road and to keep up what was happening on the highway ahead and behind you. I don't see laptops or smart phones being as useful for that.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Cap'n Ron,

CBs are still in use, it's fairly rare to find a truck without one onboard. We just use em to keep posted on road conditions, law enforcement, weather, etc. The "Breaker Breaker" Smokey and the Bandit style stuff is long gone, though. Most people don't have them in their cars like they did in the '70s and '80s, although I still have one mounted in all my light vehicles for the same reason I have one in the truck. Everyone has a cellphone nowadays, and you'll see a lot of truckers with bluetooth headsets running down the road.

Atxcio, laptops and broadband cards are popular, although certainly not while driving. A lot of guys carry a laptop for when they're off duty (I myself am in the bunk in Battle Mountain, Nevada right now), and most mainline truckstops (Pilot, Petro, Loves, Flying J, etc.) are wifi hotspots now.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:56 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
I can share two of your questions.

Your CJ7; You may as well park it!! The 4x4 is not needed and if you looking to play in some mud or do some off roading, you better know someone with land that will allow you to play on it!!

Also on the hunting............. same as above. You better know someone with land to shoot on it!!

Unlike Colorado and probably like WY. You can almost get out of the truck and play. Here in TX all land is owned and either has barb-wire wraped around it on someone about to snipe ya if you get on that private land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin