Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times

Advertisements

I have heard of a few central Texas ranches that raise grass fed beef. I have been reading up on intensive rotational grazing and soil health programs, and its actually pretty interesting. Has anyone heard of families going it together to buy a whole cow that is divided between them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 PM

308 posts, read 1,467,908 times
some farms have grass fed beef. I once bought a lot from sprouts. they are much much more tastey than those regurlarly sold in supermarkets, and smell great.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 AM

293 posts, read 730,344 times
I hope you have a huge freezer to store that much beef. I haven't tried splitting a cow with anyone, I'd ask around at a farmer's market.

Sprouts had a good deal on some grass fed beef when I was there one time until I saw it was from New Zealand. I buy my beef, poultry and eggs from Richardson Farms at the Triangle Farmer's Market every Wednesday. Their farm is out in Rockdale.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 AM

25 posts, read 44,724 times
Jim Richardson has great product. His pork is some of the best I've ever had, and trust me, I have had lots of it. Several restaurants in town use his product. If you can invest in it, you can order a custom cut bone in rib roll. It will cost you but if you have an extra fridge you can dry age it for about 2 weeks or more. be sure to wrap it in cheese cloth (2 or 3 layers) and dry on a rack where it can get good air circulation. It will become the best beef you have ever had. He does not dry age his beef. It is fresh and straight from butchering. He will occasionally have thick cut pork chops and tenderloin as well.

As far as what you are asking, are you talking about a cow share program?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsTx0521 View Post
Jim Richardson has great product. His pork is some of the best I've ever had, and trust me, I have had lots of it. Several restaurants in town use his product. If you can invest in it, you can order a custom cut bone in rib roll. It will cost you but if you have an extra fridge you can dry age it for about 2 weeks or more. be sure to wrap it in cheese cloth (2 or 3 layers) and dry on a rack where it can get good air circulation. It will become the best beef you have ever had. He does not dry age his beef. It is fresh and straight from butchering. He will occasionally have thick cut pork chops and tenderloin as well.

As far as what you are asking, are you talking about a cow share program?
Richardson Farms ?
If so they sell at the Barton Creek Farmer's market and you can buy cuts.

I'd advise you to try some cuts first before you go off and buy a whole, 1/2 or 1/4. Grass fed beef cooks and tastes different then the typical supermarket beef.

Here's where you can locate farms. Some do direct sales (you buy part of the live cow and go to the butcher and pick up your finished cuts).

Freezers are not that expensive and come in quite handy. HD has a variety of freezers.

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
You want to make sure that the cattle are truly grass fed and not grain finished.

I ordered once from Slanker's. I was very pleased with the product. I got the family pack, just checked the price and it's currently $170. Shipping was approximately ~$20. It comes vacuum packed and frozen solid packed in dry ice. I'll be ordering again once we get back from vacation next week.

Slanker's Grass-Fed Meats -- Meats you must eat for health

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
yam

228 posts, read 887,541 times
I get grass-fed beef from PaiDom Meats Home. They deliver to a couple of drop points in town, once every two or three months. Pricing is best for an entire side of beef but is still reasonable at the per-pound quantity. They also provide pork, pastured chickens/eggs, and various other yummy natural stuff.

Send me a direct message if you're going to use them. There's a referral bonus in it for me

Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Ross Farms not only raises grass-fed beef but they have seminars on soil health (which is vital to getting good beef). You can go out and see where your beef was raised, and how, and why.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
I have read about Ross Farm, which is in Granger, although I haven't contacted them yet. (I don't have a freezer yet.) Thanks for all the suggestions. Now here's something unexpected - Premian Sea Organics in Imperial TX. There are other shrimp farming operations in TX, but this is the only one I know of that is organic- no chemicals or fish food. Anyone ever try this place?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM

308 posts, read 1,467,908 times
what's wrong with beef from New Zeland? Mad Cow disease???

I went to the triangle once, just don't like it, since they only take either cash or checks. I don't carry either cash or check everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
I hope you have a huge freezer to store that much beef. I haven't tried splitting a cow with anyone, I'd ask around at a farmer's market.

Sprouts had a good deal on some grass fed beef when I was there one time until I saw it was from New Zealand. I buy my beef, poultry and eggs from Richardson Farms at the Triangle Farmer's Market every Wednesday. Their farm is out in Rockdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin