Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingal View Post
About Austin's lack of weird, about five years ago I was at a party with some friends who lived in Austin back in the late 70s and early 80s and were back in Austin to visit. They came back thinking they would find the Austin they left, despite the growth they heard about. All of them agreed that "Austin is too new, too trendy, and too corporate" and they realized they didn't want to move back and watch the change continue.
I've seen so many comments like this that it makes me wonder why people stay in/move to Austin. Phrased that way, Austin sounds like a horrible place. A city I would absolutely despise. Maybe my wife and I will change our plans and stay in the Rust Belt. It's neither new or trendy here

I've got news for you: AMERICA'S TOO CORPORATE! We are literally a large corporation, with a CEO as a president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 01:42 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,622,592 times
Interesting the thoughts on panhandlers on this board.

Most cities do not condone it and have made it illegal because it's just plain sleazy and exacerbates a whole host of other social problems.

I'm surprised to see folks pandering to panhandlers, it just makes the problem worse.

I understand the problem in the City of Austin, but they're all the way up I-35 past the Round Rock exits.

My out of town friends recently visited and commented that the number of panhandlers seemed excessive here.

I guess one can get use to just about anything...

The excessive powerline-filled skyline and the panhandlers...makes one think that this is a weird place.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 PM

164 posts, read 725,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I've seen so many comments like this that it makes me wonder why people stay in/move to Austin.

In my case, I'm married to someone who's lived here since childhood, and it's hard to leave "home." We also have a kid in school, so we're doing our best to stay until she's graduated. After that, who knows?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 AM

105 posts, read 663,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
You're absolutely right - it's big box stores and chains everywhere you look. What I hate is how often a new shopping center gets built and then Home Depot or whoever moves into the new place and abandons the old location. I'm lucky that I live in Central Austin and I frequent local businesses every chance I get. It's not just a Texas thing though. I moved here from Florida and it's exactly the same with all the same big box stores, etc.
The big box stores are seen along the major highways, because that is where City Council allows for zoning for them. This is the city's way of protecting the smaller, locally-owned businesses...which tend to serve the more centrally-located local population.

It is also a factor that the smaller, older commercial real estate is more affordable for local business owners than the brand new, right off the highway spots. There are exceptions, of course, like when a street becomes "chic" then rents go up.

I own a small business and I am looking to relocate...it is amazing what the costs are for shopping centers on busy highways, or near neighborhoods considered "upscale".

So, I am not suprised that the casual observer would think that Austin was dominated by big box stores.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:44 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,015,363 times
I love those funky bookstores and record shops in austin. I hope they never go out of business. For a San Antonio, this what made Austin weird, not all the new developements

Old 07-08-2007, 02:47 PM

23 posts, read 138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Things can't stay the same forever. Either a place will remain popular and be invaded by newer companies. Or else it will turn into a ghost town.

Which would you prefer. I choose "A."
For Austin, I would choose A...but for my hometown Dripping Springs, I have harbored the crazy hope that it will turn into a ghost town. I have missed my family's old place (it was sold when I was 15 or so) and would love to buy it back, but cannot afford to do so. I have deep roots here and am starting to feel very alone.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,758,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
I'm surprised to see folks pandering to panhandlers, it just makes the problem worse.
I agree. Human behavior is generally viewed as being caused by forces within the individual, but I think it's collectively generated. We're social animals.

Panhandlers exist because there is demand for them. The law of supply and demand will cause the number of panhandlers to increase in direct proportion to the amount of money people collectively spend to pay them for doing nothing.

Never give to a panhandler, all you're doing is being an enabler, encouraging them to continue living that way. I know my view is regarded as harsh and right-wing by bleeding hearts who think it's better to pay someone to block an intersection with a sign on a piece of cardboard than it is to pay a poor worker to do an actual JOB, but that's exactly what has driven me to this opinion. I know many people who work very hard and still struggle to pay their bills, and I'd rather pay them or give my employees a raise than hire a filthy drunk to stand at a crowded intersection looking pathetic.

And more about the "dark side" of Austin Weird, I was at Barton Creek on Sunday and it was absolutely mobbed with drunk young people. The trails are heavily littered. I'll be spending hours at my nearby greenbelt access cleaning up after these folks every week, it's my way of trying to keep a beautiful place beautiful. Unfortunately the "hipness" of Austin's youth culture tends to attract a lot of kids who have no sense of personal responsibility. Trashing a treasured natural resource like the Barton Creek trail system is sickening. I'd rather see Republican corporate CEO's on those trails if that's what is required to get people to be respectful and act remotely civil. It's not a massive outdoor party for drunk bums, it's an urban oasis filled with amazing natural beauty. Dagnabbit!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Regarding the homeless guys asking for money, I feel like that IS their job. They sell the nice feelings that come with charity and self-satisfaction. People who give them money feel good that they can share with someone less fortunate, and maybe even feel good that there IS someone less fortunate. I'm a laissez faire kind of person, if it makes people feel good to give them money and if these guys are willing to stand around and hold a sign all day, go for it. The ones who are creative (music players) or entertain me with funny signs get a bottle of water from me.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Unfortunately the "hipness" of Austin's youth culture tends to attract a lot of kids who have no sense of personal responsibility. Trashing a treasured natural resource like the Barton Creek trail system is sickening.

It is disgusting, and thank you for cleaning up after them. I don't think that being 'trashy' is limited to this generation, though. Have you seen pictures of what Woodstock looked like after the show way back when??? Talk about trash!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 AM

87 posts, read 382,405 times
Austin keeps growing by leaps and bounds and shows no sign of slowing down. In 2000 the pop. was 656,000 and in 2007 it is est. to be 710,000 people and this does not include suburbs.

Austin is going through a megaboom right now, just look at all the construction going on in downtown. With all this growth comes change, and sometimes not for the better. Hopefully Austin can sustain this growth without lowering the quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin