Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Regarding the homeless guys asking for money, I feel like that IS their job. They sell the nice feelings that come with charity and self-satisfaction. People who give them money feel good that they can share with someone less fortunate...
Exactly! Perfectly stated. I've challenged many of my friends on this very topic, suggesting that the reason they give to beggars is not out of compassion but out of guilt. They're buying penance for being in a better position, and in some cases they're buying a sense of superiority for having succeeded where others are obviously failing.

In essence, we hire people to panhandle because they fill a need within us. It's kind of like going to confession. Perhaps if we addressed the problem at the systemic level, we'd make some progress. Why is the USA the most inequitable nation on the planet even though it is the wealthiest? Why are there so many homeless, why so much addiction, why so much sickness? Why do we lead the world in gated communities full of McMansions that loom over the valleys full of struggling workers and unemployed who can barely pay for a tiny apartment and a bit of food? We can't solve homelessness by giving dollar bills to panhandlers.

I pay buskers because street performers provide a service I appreciate, adding color and entertainment to what would be a more sterile environment in their absence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Default weird panhandlers

In Austin, like every other city in the free world, people are allowed to stand around begging for money if they want to. I see the points of those who can't stand panhandling, but I think that it is an interesting and overlooked part of our society/culture.
In India, there are people who "drop out" of society and become beggars (called sadhus). They are treated with respect for their decision and "civilised" people give them $ when they feel like it. I think American panhandlers should be treated the same. If people don't want to work and would rather hang out all dirty on the side of the road - then, good for them. Of course, I don't support all panhandlers and I hate to support their addiction, depression or whatever other problems they have. But some days, those thoughts are not there and I give freely when I feel like it and I don't wonder where the money goes. Live and let live. Give out money or don't. Get a job or be a beggar. Of all US cities shouldn't Austin, in all its weirdness, be a place that panhandlers can live amongst us? I think so.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
...Live and let live. Give out money or don't. Get a job or be a beggar. Of all US cities shouldn't Austin, in all its weirdness, be a place that panhandlers can live amongst us? I think so.
What a wonderful response! Thanks for providing such a refreshing and unique balance to what some of us were saying.

Life is infinitely complex, nuanced, filled with possibilities, and the whole idea of calling a city "weird" in a good way is to implicate it as a place where people can be whoever they are, even if that means being a transvestite Republican, Communist accountant, deaf musician, or a panhandler with a piece of cardboard that says "God bless."

Doesn't mean I'll give them my money, but you sure earned my respect with your brilliant commentary.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
I'm feeling a lot of Austin love right now....

Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
I have several friends who have 'relief' packages in their cars/trucks that they had out on occasion. They have a variety of items, many of which they picked up while travelling: washcloths (not from the hotels ), soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and first-aid type stuff (neosporen, band-aids, ibuprofen) are apparently appreciated. They also hand out water and/or snack stuff that can be safely stored in the back seat of their car. Most will not hand out money, thought.

Years ago, I used to walk under mopac via 2222, and there were a couple guys that would panhandle up at that intersection. One would stand up there with a sign, and when he had enough money, he would walk over to the liquor store and get a bottle of whatever. He would then come back to sit under the bridge and drink it, while the other guy, who had probably just finished a bottle, would go take his place at the intersection. Quite organized .

On the subject of choices we make in life, many of these people really do have mental issues that make the 'choice' pretty set in stone. My brother has lived off East Wm Cannon for years in some pretty run down housing (he himself is not really that far 'off the street' on any give year), and he sees the people come out of the clinics and try to make it 'under a roof' in the transition housing. Very few can really overcome their addictions, although a few do. Government subsidize rehab is not quite as good as what the celebrities get, and look at it's low 'success' rate. I think he really roots for them (he rides the bus, and often interacts with quite a few).

And, still another side note, I think Austin has some of the lowest key panhandlers that I have ever seen. Very few aggressive ones, which I think really helps them in the long run...people don't get nearly as paranoid or turned-off by them.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 AM

277 posts, read 1,298,888 times
Seattle passed a law against 'aggressive panhandling' a few years back. We have a LOT of homeless, largely because Seattle has a lot of programs for getting the homeless under a roof, getting them some kind of work, and getting them rehab. A few cities have even been known to give their homeless one-way bus tickets to Seattle.

Any city of any size is going to have homeless people.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
I think 'Leslie' was on his way from Fl to Seattle when he ended up in Austin and ended up staying....

Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,422 times
Speaking of Leslie, I'm almost positive he sat a few tables away from us at a Taco Cabana a couple of nights ago. The only reason I'm not positive is that he was wearing quite a bit more than the photos on his Wiki page show.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Phisch, you may be right that it was Leslie. I saw him last week and he was (to my horror and dismay) dressed like a normal person!

His hair still looks the same, but he seems to have abandoned the tourist-attraction lifestyle and is being a lot more low-key lately. Perhaps he got tired of being treated like a carnival sideshow. I've spoken with him many times and he is a very smart person who is involved in local politics, but his eccentricities were all that people noticed about him.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Be aware that there's been a Leslie doppleganger in town for a couple of years now. He looks just like Leslie but with dark hair and beard. He's mainly south of the river though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin