Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,318 times

Advertisements

Haha, I live in the Mountain and drive by it on the way to 620/Anderson Mill...the guy was out there on Saturday digging a moat around the front door...no kidding.

We almost took a walk just to stop by and ask him WTF.

Weird. You figure their association would have stopped that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,232 times
Who's Leslie?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Leslie attends anything in Austin that is free, and lives on the street. Gets a lot of exposure, ran for mayor, etc...

Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there is the other political person-of-uncertain-gender:

http://www.jennifergale.com/

Other Austin weird things:

- Hippy Hollow (Google it, don't think I can post the link)
- Alex Jones
- Spamarama (http://www.spamarama.com/ - broken link) (annual spam festival)
- Eeyore's birthday (annual hippie festival, although slim on the hippies now)
- Disc Golf
- O'Henry Punoff
- Palmer Auditiorium (oh wait, that's gone... but some remnants on performing arts center) & City Coliseum
- 290/71/360/S Mopac/SW Pkway/S Lamar "interchange" in South Austin
- Mike Judge, Bruce Sterling, "Onward Through the Fog", Slacker, Timbuk 2, Max Nofziger, homeless taking hostages on town lake, Lord English, and a bazillion other items of historical Austin wierdness

Last edited by atxcio; 06-01-2007 at 12:36 AM..

Old 06-01-2007, 07:38 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
Haha, I live in the Mountain and drive by it on the way to 620/Anderson Mill...the guy was out there on Saturday digging a moat around the front door...no kidding.

We almost took a walk just to stop by and ask him WTF.

Weird. You figure their association would have stopped that.
LOL... I was waiting for that house to come up in conversation here. I drove some out of town guests around the city earlier this month, and they all thought that was the most ridiculous thing ever. Where we are from (CT) there is a whole lot of money and some people make their homes look like realistic chateaus or palaces-- but not the turret-and-moat style castles of children's imaginations. We all got a good laugh out of that place.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM

114 posts, read 618,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
See, I thought of Leslie too...but then realized that is the only example that really comes to mind. Which really isn't all that weird, if you have spent anytime in downtown New York City, Washington DC, Boston, etc. So I don't really get the whole "Keep Austin Weird" thing, as an East Coaster for almost my entire life.

I think Austin might be weird for Texas, but I don't think it's as wacky as the travel/tourism board touts it as. Don't get me wrong, I love my new adopted home, I just don't think it's particularly "weird".
I saw in a recent edition of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Portland, Oregon also uses the slogan: "Keep Portland Weird." I don't know if they mean the same thing by the phrase as Austin does.

The one souvenir I took back from Austin last summer was a Keep Austin Weird bumper sticker, which I proudly display on my car. I doubt many in Knoxville know what it's about ("Who's Austin?" ).

Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 PM

11 posts, read 33,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
homeless taking hostages on town lake,
ummmm, what? The homeless take hostages? I've seen a LOT of weirdness in my day after 7 years in LA and 2 in Portland (gang member BBQ's, truce day on the Venice boardwalk, people with tinfoil hats, man's head in my dumpster) but I have never heard of the homeless taking hostages. Can you point me to an article about this?

Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorga View Post
ummmm, what? The homeless take hostages? I've seen a LOT of weirdness in my day after 7 years in LA and 2 in Portland (gang member BBQ's, truce day on the Venice boardwalk, people with tinfoil hats, man's head in my dumpster) but I have never heard of the homeless taking hostages. Can you point me to an article about this?
Don't be alarmed. The "hostages" were some geese or something... hence the weird part. It's an OLD story, early eighties or something, I'm not even having much luck googling it. This is all I could find... it's sort of mentioned in some of the backstory:
Homer the Homeless Goose

Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorga View Post
man's head in my dumpster)
Good Lord!

I'm not sure if that qualifies as weird. More like downright goulish...

Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,422 times
It's dumpster diving. Not too uncommon of an occurrence in Southern California if you know where to look.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,300 times
Leslie is the unofficial mayor of Austin Weird, and since he has been mentioned a few times I figure we should include a photo:

Aside from that, daily life is what's "weird." It's not really weird, the slogan is actually a movement that is all about supporting local businesses, the amazingly vibrant indy coffeehouse scene (instead of Starbucks) and having yard art, a sofa on your front porch, being defiant against the Steiner Ranch type of mentality that is even prevalent on this very forum.

An example of Austin Weird in my apartment complex is the two maintenance guys. They're nothing to write home about, but the fact that they're representative of the subculture is what tells the story. One of them has neon-blue hair, the other one has a long pony tail with pink and purple streaks. No big deal.

If you live in a subdivision with CCR's that say you have to close your garage door at night, then you're NOT experiencing Austin. People get really defensive about this, but it's simply a choice. If you're happy with your choice to live in a generic subdivision then you shouldn't feel a need to defend yourself. If you feel defensive when people (like me) bash suburban living, then maybe you're in denial about your own feelings. Choose what you want. Let South Austin (the last bastion of Austin weird) be itself. It will eventually get overrun with corporate money and uptight Californians who want to control everyone else's behavior, so it's only a matter of time before Leslie and the indy coffeehouses are gone and there will be trendy high-priced restaurants and chic department stores and Starbucks on every corner.

*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin