Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 PM

322 posts, read 846,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdysMom View Post
Didn't you read my post? I merely said that I like collecting rain water so why should you rant about something that I enjoy? I never said anything about trying to be green or using less water -I said I enjoyed collecting rain water and using it to water my vegetable garden. Oh by the way, I do have mostly native plants in my yard and I do try to conserve water, but that has nothing to do with the reasons I like my rain barrels.
Agreed. It's nice to have your own water to help your plants. Whether it is cost effective or not is not really important.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Folks, please no snarky back and forth about who read or didn't read a post.

Please discuss and or debate the topic, not the person who posts. Thank you!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Wow, that's a new one. Prohibiting growth is 'illegal'....seriously? So zoning is what....illegal, too? There is nothing illegal about controlling growth to take care of resources, cities do it all the time, at least cities who don't have the developers on the city payroll.

Water is a renewable resource. As long we don't pave over open spaces, the water cycle, or the hydrologic cycle, Water cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, will continue.

We are not sinners. We are using the resources that we have available to us. The REAL sinners are those who push growth at all costs (developers, but all the parasites who live off of overdevelopment). I would be the first to conserve as soon as businesses and the City of Austin do so as well. For now, I see no need to 'conserve' in order to let the LCRA sell our water to places like Las Vegas- profits we never see.
Yes, prohibiting growth is illegal. Regulating growth is allowed within limits. Property owners have the right to get the maximum benefit from their property. Passing excessively strict development regulations is legally considered an uncompensated taking of land.

The US Constitution prohibits the uncompensated taking of private property. The Takings Clause in the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in 1791, reads, "...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation".

To get back to the subject or rain water collections systems. Moderator cut: pls don't discuss opinion of other memberI posted this information simply to expose the fallacy that this is a cost effective method of conserving water. Many people expend significant resources investing in rainwater systems, thinking it will save money, when the truth is that it seldom ever lives up to this hype.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 09-04-2010 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: removed reference to other member

Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
I'm closing this thread for a cool off period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin